Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Golden Skate

Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bolero is an iconic warhorse in skating. Many have skated to it, few are legendary programs

So who‘s Bolero do you like, who’s do you not mind, and who’s Bolero can you not stand?
You can include one for each or multiple if you want

Mine:

Torvill/Dean
Kostner

Don’t mind
Kwan

Can’t stand
There aren’t really any Bolero’s that I absolutely cannot stand, but I included this section because I know that people have very strong preferences on Bolero.

Last edited:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
The only one I truly loved was Torvill & Dean's.

I don't mind when singles skater use it, but I'd rather not see any Ice Dance teams skating to it.
I agree with the sentiment that if ever a piece of music should be retired (for Ice Dance anyway) it should be Bolero.

Like:
Torvill/Dean
Shoma Uno
Tarasova/Morozov

Don't mind:
Kamila Valieva

I didn't realise Kwan and Kostner had a version so now I look forward to watching those! :)
This was Michelle Kwan's last LP, performed for the 2004-2005 season. Although she managed to win U.S. Nationals with it, by this time she was in the twilight of her career. The Bolero program was not a candidate for the best of Michelle Kwan highlight reel (but the previous year's Tosca at U.S. Nationals is. :) )

Michelle's version was choreographed in substantial part by Christopher Dean, but Michelle had problems in the execution throughout the season and essentially changed out the majority of Dean's work.

As for the music, this is one of those works that "nobody likes it except the people." Professional critics and music mavens (including Rave;l himself) universally pan the composition, but audiences love it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't agree about retiring pieces of music... at least, not anymore....

i have two examples.

Valse triste : Rakhamo/Kokko had an incredible program on it.... It is still engraved in my memory. The timing, the emotion. It is iconic. However, if that music had been retired, we would never have gotten Virtue/Moir's programme on it.

Riverdance : Bourne/Kraatz truly made a statement with their riverdance. Their quick steps so characteristics of Irish dancing were spectacular. We will probably never see something like this in current ice dance.
If that music at been retired, Jason Brown wouldn't have made a name for himself. His performance at the US Nationals is definitely iconic !
Also, Jason's hydro-blading is reminiscent of Bourne/Kraatz's revolutionary use of hydro-blading in their Riverdance.

Points to consider :

Artistically : Skaters and choreographers could be compared to musicians. Why does the world need more than one concert pianist or one conductor??? Simply because every human has their own take on things. Different pianists will come up with personal and authentic ways to play Chopin's ballades or Rachmaninoff concertos, just like different conductors will lead their orchestra to different soundscapes in Beethoven's symphonies, for instance. If we were to retired Chopin's music because Cortot or someone else played them so well back then, we wouldn't have had Zimmerman's versions.... and who are we to decide which version is the ONLY ONE allowed? Let skaters and choreographers share their passion for a piece of music.

Technically, as the years go by, the sport evolves continually. The requirements of 6.0 skating versus IJS contribute to making completely different programs. Ice dance has changed so much : I am not sure Irish dancing steps like B/K would be worth the risks and high marks nowadays... An ice dance expert could tell us, but we do not see much quick steps with picks on the ice nowadays, it seems to be all about turns and edge quality. Of course, lifts have changed a lot too... In singles, jumps and spins are getting more intricate, at times, some elements are more spectacular than what was available back then, like a very nice Euler combo timed to music can be awesome (like Jason's in Riverdance). At times, things from back then can be missed nowadays like a simple super fast scratch spin... which would end a program brilliantly but would not get high levels. Of course, with technology and training, the sport constantly evolves as well.... playing Chopin on a period Erard piano is very different from today's Steinways....

To me, it's not a question of retiring the music from iconic performances. It is more a question of good taste : if a skater wants to do Riverdance or any other iconic piece, they better have something good to offer... and some have ! Music doesn't belong to performers.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This was Michelle Kwan's last LP, performed for the 2004-2005 season. Although she managed to win U.S. Nationals with it, by this time she was in the twilight of her career. The Bolero program was not a candidate for the best of Michelle Kwan highlight reel (but the previous year's Tosca at U.S. Nationals is. :) )

Michelle's version was choreographed in substantial part by Christopher Dean, but Michelle had problems in the execution throughout the season and essentially changed out the majority of Dean's work.

As for the music, this is one of those works that "nobody likes it except the people." Professional critics and music mavens (including Rave;l himself) universally pan the composition, but audiences love it.
Thank you for the background on this, I watched her performance at U.S. Nationals. To me, she did not appear very comfortable with the music. Raf seemed rather happy and smiling in those days!

What a fun idea! Please do the same for:
Carmen
Moulin Rouge
POTO

All of them are so commonly used—more so than Bolero, I think!
May I add Romeo & Juliet to this list? I would love to see which ones are the biggest favourites! :giggle:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Love: Torvill/Dean FD
Like: Most versions, it’s a warhorse but I don’t have super strong feelings about a lot of others except
Hate: Kamila Valieva FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like:

Torvill and Dean :love:
Evan Lysacek :love:
Tarasova and Morozov
Carolina Kostner

Hate:
Actually, I'm one of the many people who hates the music, period. But I love being made to look at something in a new light. And that's what the above skaters do for me, every time.

Dislike:
Kamila Valieva

😍 Intensity, passion, desire, magnificent obsessiveness! Everything Evan! I miss him so much as a competitor but am happy we have videos.