Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

katymay

Medalist
Bolero is a very popular piece of music for skaters.
However it is also one that many people can’t stand.

So who‘s Bolero do you like, who’s do you not mind, and who’s Bolero can you not stand?
You can include one for each or multiple if you want

Mine:

Torvill/Dean
Kostner

Don’t mind
Kwan

Can’t stand
There aren’t really any Bolero’s that I absolutely cannot stand, but I included this section because I know that people have very strong preferences on Bolero.
Dislike except for Ice Dance. Even ice dance it gets on my nerves. lol.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
My thought about Bolero is that it's not sacred and anybody is free to use it. Previous usage shouldn't be turned against anybody.
I don’t think it’s sacred or anything, but I know people have some conflicting opinions about it

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see both sides.

In my heart, I associate Bolero only with purple chiffon and ice dance, and when I see someone else skating it, I still see purple chiffon and ice dance. In my defense, Bolero was not just an iconic program. It changed ice dance. And engendered a gazillion skaters dying on the ice in the future years.:laugh:

But I know in my head that no skater owns a piece of music and in close to 40 years it is unrealistic to assume that no one is ever to going to skate to Bolero.

So to answer the question: :love2: T&D

and it's very difficult for me to rate the others.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am an unshamed Bolero fan! I almost always enjoy hearing it.

Without further ado

Love:

Torville and Dean (got me into Ice Dance when I looked it up on YouTube)

Plushy (Yeah, the costume is weird, but it's weirdly awesome! Also the choreo is peak Plushy :laugh: )

Liza Tuk (Mishin students have great luck with Bolero, maybe Misha K should use it this upcoming season, both Plushy and Liza won their first World Championships with this music 🥰)

T/M (I'm gonna be sorry to see it go especially since their FS isn't my cup of tea music wise - also note Vovan's use of arms, he's trying to hypnotise us :biggrin:)

Don't Mind

Can't think of any

Can't Stand

The version Kamila V has sounds like the lowgrade elevator/hold Muzak version and it's like nails on a chalk board to me. I'm like personally offended by it :laugh:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was Michelle Kwan the first very well-known skater to skate to Bolero after Torvill and Dean? Looking over the answers in this thread, she seems to be ... although I realize this is only people's favorites and not intended to be a definitive list. I think a fellow FS fan said to me not long ago that many years went by, after 1984, before anyone that she knew of skated to it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I like the music usually although I always seem to see Bo Derek behind my eyes whenever I hear it played (yes, I watched the film Ten). It is a bit monotone, and it's difficult to get that true climactic vibe within a skating programme because you have to cut it substantially.

I loved T&D's Bolero, although I personally liked their OD Paso Double even better (I'll never forget Torvill as a cape). I enjoyed Carolina skating to it, although - again - I liked her Ave Maria SP even better. I like T&M skating to it too, and they even manage it for an SP (so, even shorter). There are no skaters/versions I really hate although it feels somehow wrong for a girl of 14 to skate to it. But that's just me I suppose.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Love Torvill/Dean's forever.

I really dislike Kamilla Valieva's. It just looks to me like she's racing through all her elements and there's no connection or interpretation of the music.

I think that’s just a consequence of the choreography. Bolero is kind of a slow piece but they try to cram in all the things they can for points, lots of leg kicks and stuff and unfortunately none of it really matches the pace of the music. There is just no way a skater can connect to the music if the choreography doesn’t fit it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
💕 Torvill & Dean's Bolero

My favorite finale from the Champions on Ice tour goes back to spring/summer 2000. The whole cast skated to Bolero as a tribute to Torvill & Dean. Skaters were added gradually to the performance until everyone was in it!

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I am not saying it has to be retired, people can keep trying to do a new Bolero if they want to, but for me as El Henry says I just associate it with Torvill and Dean and a mesmerising piece of choreography. There may be someone who comes along and creates something as Jason did with Riverdance long after Bourne and Kraatz's iconic attempt, who knows. As it stands, I hear three beats and I instantly see Torvill and Dean in my minds eye. They have other dances I may have liked as much or more, but that is the piece of music pretty much of all pieces of music where the association between the music and a single skating routine is instant. The choreography triumphed the music for me so that they are now inseparable.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
The first time I heard it was with Kamila so my impression of it is her crazy spinning towards the end. That's what I'm used to. I looked up a few older versions that were supposed to be better and I found them slow. Like really really really slooooooow.

So yeah....Kamila all the way 😍😍😍

gkelly

Record Breaker
Not at the same level of Art as Torvill & Dean's or Kostner's IMO, but I thought I'd throw a couple more
competitive examples into the mix:

And some show numbers I'd put in the Love category for myself:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love Torvill/Dean's forever.

I really dislike Kamilla Valieva's. It just looks to me like she's racing through all her elements and there's no connection or interpretation of the music.
I have to agree about Kamila. She is a lovely skater, but misses the point of Bolero entirely. The initial slow pacing building up to a dramatic climax is the main feature of the music. It is very important to demonstrate that in the interpretation rather than to treat it as simply a dramatic piece. I feel it takes a certain maturity to skate to this piece and thats why the best versions are by older skaters. I did like Carolina's version very much.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Speaking to POTO, Carmen :palmf:, etc. I think the difference is that Bolero is sooo associated with a Gold Medal performance and with 2 specific skaters that are iconic. Some will say Evan Lysacek should or could have the same association but..

I really, really, really get irritated when skaters use the same music that's been used so many times. I just feel it's lazy on the part of the choreography and coaching team. There are so many beautiful pieces of music out there.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kamila‘s Bolero at Nationals was my favoritbe skate from that competition. On paper, it will be a contender for the greatest skate in Olympic history nest season.

So yeah, I love Kamila’s Bolero. I’m alone, I know.