Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Bolero - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

kirauza343

On the Ice
I had actually never seen Torvil and Dean’s until just a few months ago but god did it give me chills. Such a masterful build in the choreography and impeccable execution. It really holds up so well!

I despise Kamila’s and the fact that she’s keeping it for the Olympics makes it so much worse. I can just see it being called an iconic program for no other reason than it being the program she potentially wins gold with and it doesn’t deserve that.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I despise Kamila’s and the fact that she’s keeping it for the Olympics makes it so much worse. I can just see it being called an iconic program for no other reason than it being the program she potentially wins gold with and it doesn’t deserve that.
The thing that I have with the Kamila Bolero situation is that I don't actually really mind the program on its own, but when you look at it compared to history, it's just weird. Like this is Bolero we're talking about here, not just any old piece of music.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
. The Bolero program was not a candidate for the best of Michelle Kwan highlight reel (but the previous year's Tosca at U.S. Nationals is. :) )
And her Spartacus at 2005 Nationals is. :) I think Michelle's first version of Bolero, at a cheesefest, was the best. She was held back from skating it full out at later events because of her injury.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know Bolero is iconic becaue of Torvill and Dean And we have seen attempts by Michelle Kwan, Carolina Kostner, T and M, To me the music while classical, regal, iconic it lacks heart, fire and passion - it for lack of words is from a distance Even, to me, and I am going to get beaten up, Torvill and Dean skated through the music but was not part of them. Kwan who is iconic too and the same thing. I find it to one paced and it just doesn't seem to get the emotion crecendo of some music. I am sorry I am not a music expert. I am not good with my words. I find Bolero harder to emotionally invest.

Jacey91

Rinkside
I haven't followed figure skating for long so I don't have any names to give, but I just want to say that I love Bolero so much and I want my faves Gabriella and Guillame to do it.

Tomadeur

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have to agree about Kamila. She is a lovely skater, but misses the point of Bolero entirely. The initial slow pacing building up to a dramatic climax is the main feature of the music. It is very important to demonstrate that in the interpretation rather than to treat it as simply a dramatic piece. I feel it takes a certain maturity to skate to this piece and thats why the best versions are by older skaters. I did like Carolina's version very much.

It's a popular misconception about Bolero that the music tempo is increasing from the beginning to the end, but in fact it stays the same. The higher itensity towards the end is due to a constant crescendo and a more density caused by more instruments. In many free skates there is a increase in the music tempo for dramaturgical reasons, but for me, as someone who knows Bolero mainly as a piece of music, this is a major turn-off.

Kostner's version, for example, has a huge increse of the tempo, but in the skating itself there is nothing that really intensifies. That's why I think that the second half of Valieva's programme is better than many previous interpretations. But I think that's all subjective and depends on which versions and interpretations you saw and heard at the beginning or which versions you are used to.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Loved: Torvill and Dean

Really disliked: Kwan, Kostner

Unpopular opinion: Bolero worked great for Torvill/Dean's Free Dance, but does not work AT ALL for a singles program.

Why? Because the music is a slow build up to to a frenzy. According to the structure of the music, a really effective singles program to Bolero should start with next to nothing, maybe with the first (and easiest) jump in the middle, and the end chock full off triples, quads, combinations and crazy spins all in the final minute of the program. In other words... not feasible.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I liked Torvill and Dean's skate, but I'm not very fond of Bolero itself. There is only so much you can do with a piece of music whose main distinguishing feature is repetition, a steady tempo and a single drawn-out crescendo. It's like watching a very predictable movie and knowing by the opening scene how everything's going to end.

Agree with others who said that Bolero is less suited to singles skating. Apart from Torvill and Dean I also liked Tarasova and Morozov - you can do more creative things with two people on the ice.