Brand New Ideas for Programs 2.0 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs 2.0

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So I know that Oona and Gage Brown used a version of Nothing Else Matters, but I really loved the version I heard in Jungle Cruise last week and thought it would be really cool for a figure skating program.

Any other new music ideas?

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Would love to see a program to Short Change Hero by Heavy

And, this piano version of When Sonny Gets Blue played by McCoy Tyner..
Jazz somehow fails to translate well to ice programs but this might work with proper choreo.. (Rohene..??!!)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm thinking A Whole New World by Zayn with Zhavia Ward (for Disney's Aladdin) would be a great fit for Chelsea Liu & Danny O'Shea:

Lyrics:
A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us, 'No'
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming
A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world (don't you dare close your eyes)
A hundred thousand things to see (hold your breath, it gets better)
I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be
A whole new world
With new horizons to pursue
I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'd love to see a program to any song by AURORA 💜 A gorgeous voice, superb melodies and poetic, touching lyrics.

The River is beautiful, Runaway is a classic, The Seed as a great ecological message and warrior vibe, and I need to stop her otherwise I'll just list all of her songs :biggrin:
check Reed/Ambrulevičius free dance then:D

PinkElephants

Rinkside
A bit out there but I've always really wanted to see a skate to Siouxie and the Banshees, some of their songs had this sort of monotone, hypnotic beat that I feel might work for a skating program. I'd especially love to see someone try on Slowdive or Trust in me :biggrin:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
A few of my favorite ideas:

1. I'd love to see a free dance to "Omar Sharif" from The Band's Visit:

2. I'm surprised we haven't seen more Alanis Morrissette programs since the rule change allowing lyrics - but of all her songs I think "Uninvited" would be my choice for a program (possibly in a medley with "Smiling" from her latest album).

3. We don't see too many John Williams programs these days, and I understand why - it was really popular in the '90s, and a lot of his music is so linked to the films it came from that it would be a bit distracting. I think his scores for the Star Wars prequels were really underrated though - even though the films weren't great, the scores come off as more mature and complex than some of his earlier works. I particularly like this arrangement of "Across the Stars" and would love to see a program to it!

4. The score for "Pan's Labyrinth" would be pretty easy to cut into a cohesive medley of pieces for a free skate - I haven't listened to the full score in a while, but as I recall, the "Pan's Lullaby" melody reappears many times throughout the score.

Idiote

On the Ice
A few of my favorite ideas:

1. I'd love to see a free dance to "Omar Sharif" from The Band's Visit:

2. I'm surprised we haven't seen more Alanis Morrissette programs since the rule change allowing lyrics - but of all her songs I think "Uninvited" would be my choice for a program (possibly in a medley with "Smiling" from her latest album).

3. We don't see too many John Williams programs these days, and I understand why - it was really popular in the '90s, and a lot of his music is so linked to the films it came from that it would be a bit distracting. I think his scores for the Star Wars prequels were really underrated though - even though the films weren't great, the scores come off as more mature and complex than some of his earlier works. I particularly like this arrangement of "Across the Stars" and would love to see a program to it!

4. The score for "Pan's Labyrinth" would be pretty easy to cut into a cohesive medley of pieces for a free skate - I haven't listened to the full score in a while, but as I recall, the "Pan's Lullaby" melody reappears many times throughout the score.
Hands down, I'm voting for Pan's Labyrinth, this movie is an absolute masterpiece 💜 the lullaby is so iconic and instantly heartbreaking :cry: More recently, the music from The Shape of Water by Alexandre Desplat is also pretty great and unique :

It also features a beautiful French song that would make a great program : La Javanaise ! In the realm of French songs, why aren't there more Barbara programs ? This song especially is one of my favorites, it has a lovely melody and superb lyrics for a dark, not overused theme :

I also don't understand why we don't see more Miyazaki-themed programs, especially in ladies ; about all his films are cult classics with gorgeous soundtracks by Joe Hisaishi, and a lot of strong female leads. I know Yuzuru Hanyu had a Joe Hisaishi program, and Elizabet Tursynbaeva skated to Princess Mononoke, but still, there should be more. Maybe it's a copyright issue or something ? Still, it's a shame.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I also don't understand why we don't see more Miyazaki-themed programs, especially in ladies ; about all his films are cult classics with gorgeous soundtracks by Joe Hisaishi, and a lot of strong female leads. I know Yuzuru Hanyu had a Joe Hisaishi program, and Elizabet Tursynbaeva skated to Princess Mononoke, but still, there should be more. Maybe it's a copyright issue or something ? Still, it's a shame.

No idea if it's true or not, but I heard a rumor that Evgenia Medvedeva wanted to do a program to one of the Studio Ghibli scores and that she couldn't get permission to use the music. :( So sad - I could see her doing a gorgeous short program to the theme from Howl's Moving Castle!!

Imagine

Medalist
It’s true, unfortunately. I made an edit of Mao skating to the Howl’s Moving Castle theme song a few years ago. Just recently got deleted for copyright reasons from YouTube. It was also the only video I made that got over 3 million views, so people definitely want to see Ghibli programs. Just not sure why they are so inflexible about it. Shame, as Zhenya and Ghibli would have been a dream pairing.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It’s true, unfortunately. I made an edit of Mao skating to the Howl’s Moving Castle theme song a few years ago. Just recently got deleted for copyright reasons from YouTube. It was also the only video I made that got over 3 million views, so people definitely want to see Ghibli programs. Just not sure why they are so inflexible about it. Shame, as Zhenya and Ghibli would have been a dream pairing.

OMG I've watched that video so many times!!! Thank you for making it <3

I didn't get very far with it but I tried making one of Zhenya's Masquerade program over the Howl theme lol. Some of the choreo lined up really nicely!

Imagine

Medalist
OMG I've watched that video so many times!!! Thank you for making it <3

I didn't get very far with it but I tried making one of Zhenya's Masquerade program over the Howl theme lol. Some of the choreo lined up really nicely!
Thanks for watching! Now no one will ever see it again…lol 🥲

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I think I’ve only ever seen one Sweeney Todd program! I’d love to see men (or women, why not) using Johanna instead of the millionth Maria from West Side Story (though my absolute favorite is the Act 2 reprise I’m not sure if it would work well out of context in skating)