Can anyone beat a clean Zagitova? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can anyone beat a clean Zagitova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Medvedeva theoretically can if the flutz is not called. Apart from that, no. Rika Kihira perhaps could if she managed a clean skate... Good luck with that. Otherwise, will have to wait until the 2019-2020 season.

frida80

Record Breaker
At Russian Nationals, Trusova will trounce her. Internationally, maybe Zhenia. Wakaba will need a 3A and a winning season to build up the TES and the PCS politics she needs to beat her.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
So far she hasn't lost to anyone in her entire international career when she was clean. In the next season, if both she and Medvedeva will continue competing, it might be even closer between them, especially if ISU will change something with backloading. Meanwhile I hope that Alina will get better programs, better interpretation and her components may slightly grow. Your thoughts? :)

P.S. i know you like these threads :biggrin:

But how many times has she been CLEAN CLEAN? Not getting plus GOE for "OMG SHE STUMBLED BUT HELD THAT, SO IMPRESSIVE +3"? I think she skated clean clean on Europeans and Olympics, otherwise, there has been inevitable problems.

Maybe with the new system, she can have a clean non-backloaded program. I believe she is capable of that.

Medvedeva theoretically can if the flutz is not called. Apart from that, no. Rika Kihira perhaps could if she managed a clean skate... Good luck with that. Otherwise, will have to wait until the 2019-2020 season.

I think Higuchi might bring in the 3A next season. But you're right, with Zag's OGM PCS boost, this seems nigh on impossible till a quadster comes along, or if her backloading is no longer manageable.

Miriam090

Rinkside
There was commentary for Junior Worlds?? I only saw videos sans commentary. Could you link me to that video of Trusova's FS please?

vitamintea

On the Ice
the more i think about it, the more i realize that clean medvedeva should beat her.
it's clear that with a new +5 thing GOE should matter more than a BV.
and try to guess who receives the highest GOEs on the senior scene.
it all goes in this order
1. medvedeva
2. kostner
3. zagitova

Kostner would only get that in the SP. Her past FSs have not gone well at all and it would be unfair to give her high GOEs.

r2d2

On the Ice
Kostner would only get that in the SP. Her past FSs have not gone well at all and it would be unfair to give her high GOEs.

since when figure skating is about being fair? i see a lot of angry people when Medvedeva lutz will get goe4 and 5 :biggrin:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Other than staying healthy next season doesn't really matter to Zagitova compared to 2020 and 2021. Those years are huge. She needs to finish growing in the next year then we will see where shes at.

Can anyone beat Zagitova if she skates clean? Probably not maybe Medvedeva. Maybe Sasha. :eeking: Alina has time on her side let her mature and add jumps in time such as quads.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Artistry should matter a lot but the technical aspect with jumping speed power and athleticism should matter more because this is a sport of athletes. This isn't rhythmic gymnastics this is athleticism and great athletes are in this sport. I like and respect artistry and it does matter. But doing tougher programs with greater technical difficulties ( Alina ) should matter more.

lusk8

Record Breaker
I’d say no, based on what I’ve seen from her this year. Even without backloading her entries into jumps are very hard and impressive. Her 3lo are amazing and if any future rule changes allow her to capitalize on that she would kill it.
I’ve been watching old Yuzuru programs, from 2010 and 2011 when he was around her current age and his progression was clear and incredible, he built on foundations he already had, and I’m sure she can do the same.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This year: Medvedeva only if the backloading bonus is changed
Next season: Trusova, possibly Kostornaya, Shcherbakova if she gets it together this year, Tarakanova if she drastically improves

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Anyone can be beaten in theory, but when Alina skates clean? I wouldn't know. Maybe Medvedeva. I wouldn't count Osmond out though...she's mature, still improving all the time, and now has both Olympic medals and a World title to boost her confidence. She won this time because she was good, better than at the Olympics (in my view) and Zagitova sadly failed. If Alina had skated clean, She would have won. But she didn't and next season could be different altogether. Young ones coming up, veterans improving their game, and Medeveda in for redemption and working on improvement. Looking forward to it all!

amberg

Rinkside
Medvedeva came very close to beating her this season despite being injured, and still has the highest total score ever achieved despite her defeat at the Olympics. Osmond and Higuchi could, but it's a much further shot than Medvedeva's chances.
Out of the upcoming Russian juniors Trusova could, if she improves her artistry, could beat her in upcoming years, and Kostornaia could with more difficulty. I've seen an interview from her coach somewhere saying that Kostornaia (who apparently jumps the highest out of all of Tutberidze's current group) has potential for quads; she's also training a triple axel which seems to be well within her reach considering her axel technique.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I believe Kaetlyn and Wakaba, are the only skaters to have bested Alina in both the sp and the fs this season. With changes to both the marking system and layouts, yes, it is possible to best Alina in comps.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Zagitova can be beaten depending on what the judges do with her pcs. We also need to consider is she likely to ever skate clean again? I mean if she goes through puberty and if the truth is she grew 3cm since the olympics that can change everything.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alina had a great debut season! I would like to see how she develops in artistry, versatility and how she fares against the rest of the field in the upcoming seasons and avoid over hyping her. I am also excited to see how Wakaba, Kaetlyn, Evgenia, Loena, as well as the juniors do this upcoming quad. Hope we will be treated to an epic competition of clean skates from all top contenders come next Worlds all the way to Beijing :).

bramweld

Record Breaker
Of course, they can. Just watch Zhenya and the new wonder babies do it if not this season coming the next. Let the girl enjoy today :)

moriel

Record Breaker
When they look at the World Record 2017 - 2018 for ladies figure skating. It will show that Kaetly Osmond won and it will always be in the records. She will be easily remembered and also our hero. 🙂

You know, she is not our hero this season. This season, our heroes are Zagitova, Medvedeva, Trusova and Kostornaia. Specially Trusova.
But just saying, as we had multiple chances to see this season, Osmond *cannot* beat a clean Alina.

Status
Not open for further replies.