Can France have a nice ice rink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Friday afternoon / early evening Grand Prix events I've been to have not been attended that well. Friday evening and Saturdays have been better...I thought Finland did very well with Worlds and is a good choice for a GP.

Ender

Match Penalty
Cup of Russia this year was very very crowded. I don’t know about the other events.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Cup of Russia this year was very very crowded. I don’t know about the other events.

Russia- the attendence was very good. Moscow is a great skating city.
Canada-the front and back were filled but the side was half filled.
China- that arena is humungous- mediocre SP, but very good crowds for the free skating
Japan- tickets acutally were sold out, but many Japanese fans bought full event tickets but skipped the pairs and dance.
France- like a challenger.

America- its happening over Thanksgiving Long Weekend. So i cant figure out if its going to be good or not.

Grand Prix Final- Always full. All the time

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
China- that arena is humungous- mediocre SP, but very good crowds for the free skating
Japan- tickets acutally were sold out, but many Japanese fans bought full event tickets but skipped the pairs and dance.

America- its happening over Thanksgiving Long Weekend. So i cant figure out if its going to be good or not.

They should just move the current French GP to Spain. The recent events there were attended quite well IIRC.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But other than Javier Fernandez, there are not no Spanish figure skaters that are currently active...

They have ice dance teams and other male skaters. Are they the prowess of Javi right now, no. But they aren't nobodies either.

Besides, what does it matter? People are suggesting finland and while I love it and think it could be a probable place they REALLY don't have any Finnish skaters doing much of anything right now. France was the same way for awhile. There is so much more that goes into this process than who are the big skaters from said country.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I'm confused... your pictures showed the door where the zamboni enters and exits. There are always sweepers that pull in the ice and water from when the blade of the zamboni is raised.

However, yes, the water last year was a little weird. It also depends on how the particular zamboni driver was trained-- how much water was used, etc. A dry cut has no water at all and just smooths over the ice.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Um. The ground where the Zamboni enters and leaves the rink, is always wet...

And there are always guys at the gate to sweep off the ice/slush that the Zamboni leaves behind, when it raises its "gear" to leave the rink.

The first pic shows the Zambonis are still on the rink, so of course the ice is wet - the fresh surface hasn't frozen yet.

The second picture... doesn't tell us anything because we don't know how long after the resurfacing it was taken. If it's a couple of minutes after Zamboni's left, then it's normal. But if it's 15 minutes later, then yes it's a problem...

I have no idea whether the ice condition was good or bad - I'm just saying we can't tell anything from those photos alone...

Exactly. Like... of course its wet its being resurfaced, lol.

kenboy123

On the Ice
They have ice dance teams and other male skaters. Are they the prowess of Javi right now, no. But they aren't nobodies either.

Besides, what does it matter? People are suggesting finland and while I love it and think it could be a probable place they REALLY don't have any Finnish skaters doing much of anything right now. France was the same way for awhile. There is so much more that goes into this process than who are the big skaters from said country.

I would think that in order for you to host big events in any sports, that country has to have somewhat of a decent team in that sport...after all, people pay to come see and cheer on the people of their country, if the country does not send their own people to their own events (or have anyone decent in that sport at all), ticket sales would dramatically go down...but, of course Spain isn't the worst choice, i bet a lot of figure skating fans would pay to go watch Javier Fernandez anyways...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would think that in order for you to host big events in any sports, that country has to have somewhat of a decent team in that sport...after all, people pay to come see and cheer on the people of their country, if the country does not send their own people to their own events (or have anyone decent in that sport at all), ticket sales would dramatically go down...but, of course Spain isn't the worst choice, i bet a lot of figure skating fans would pay to go watch Javier Fernandez anyways...

Spain has just hosted two huge events back to back in the last few seasons. GPF's. Yes Javi is very important to Spanish Fed, but their dancers Smart/Diaz are doing well, and as I've said they have other Spanish skaters that are decently well known to the skating community.
I'm going to flat out tell you that you would think that the Country hosting would most definitely have to have a great team but in recent years it doesn't matter all that much.

Most of the ISU events such as Worlds, GPF and so on are highly attended from skating fans and others from countries far from where the event is being held. Mostly Japanese skating fans.

I get your point, but it's not the way it really works. Sorry.

Sponsors are also a very big key.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
France lost its former top sponsor because the event organizers never replied to the sponsor's emails ...

Really? What a joke. A C rated rink hosting an A list of athletes, let get real. Last year at the GP Final, we had a river in the arena, no joke. Time to take these events from the novices and give it to a deserving host. I say Finland, Spain or Italy, and have no doubt that they will find sponsorships worthy of creating a great event.

Barb

Record Breaker

I was surprised at how well attended the event was in China this season

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Feel free to host a senior Grand Prix round in Australia, preferably Brisbane as the entertainment centre is up the road from me ;)

lappo

Final Flight
Italy would be a great option.

I'm Italian and all I have to say is let's wait how the next world do, as far as organization is concerned. Milan has a lot of positives: two airports - pay attention to the overpriced taxi driver though, lots of accomodations, lots of things to see in the city and in the nearby area. But again, we are better improvisers than organizers. Seriously hope that they can pull it off, though. One thing that we don't have for sure, as a country, is a large FS following; most of the people I know barely know Carolina Kostner by name (and most of them for her previous relation with Schwazer, they could not mention any of her achievements - and it's not like they are living under the rocks).

rabbit1234

On the Ice
I think that they should discover competitor from gymnastics like Surya Bonaly.
Especially, in the field of ladies, competitor with individuality is missing.
Every competitor is jumping the same jump for 25 years and there is no progress.

Wilwarin

On the Ice
Hope France find a major sponsor soon.

Me too. When I was at CoC almost a decade ago the arena is mostly half filled, and even less when time was late. It might be people have more to spent today, or the influence of YOI (known among anime fans), or the attention on winter sports is finally paid off (or sponsors got a lot of people to sit there...)

Feel free to host a senior Grand Prix round in Australia, preferably Brisbane as the entertainment centre is up the road from me ;)

Absolutely agree! I won't need a flight for this!:love:

GF2445

Record Breaker

Olympics in 2022 are getting peoplemthere exicted. Also, the popularity of skating in China South Korea and Japan is helping the sport so much. It is also rubbing off on other asian nations too.

Status
Not open for further replies.