Summer program : how to keep up when rinks are closed ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Summer program : how to keep up when rinks are closed ?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Dang it! I already have boots that I was planning to put wheels on; I hadn't considered how having different boots in the different disciplines might affect things 😬
If you intend to put quads on the lovely bargain Harlicks, then you'll probably be fine. It's when you're trying to replicate the ice experience as closedly as possible that I find it's best to stick with the same size and model boots you use on ice. YMMV

nomi darling

On the Ice
If you intend to put quads on the lovely bargain Harlicks, then you'll probably be fine. It's when you're trying to replicate the ice experience as closedly as possible that I find it's best to stick with the same size and model boots you use on ice. YMMV
That's fair. I've found quad skating to be SO different from ice - not just from the actual skates, but the dynamics of motion/edge lean/weight transfer. Then again, I haven't used roller skating to substitute or provide training for figure skating so much as having an alternate means of feeling like I'm flying :biggrin:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
That's fair. I've found quad skating to be SO different from ice - not just from the actual skates, but the dynamics of motion/edge lean/weight transfer. Then again, I haven't used roller skating to substitute or provide training for figure skating so much as having an alternate means of feeling like I'm flying :biggrin:
I tried figure roller skating briefly, both inline and four-wheeled, and didn't like it at all. I needed the secure feeling of blade biting into ice, particularly landing jumps and pairs lifts! (And it hurt more to fall with a whap instead of sliding.:eek2:o_O) But for anyone else, I'm sure it's a great way to keep skating when there's no ice. :yahoo:

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Out of interest where do you practice inline skating? I have thought of getting some as I live quite a way from the rink so only go once a week, I need to improve my balance and have thought of getting some inline skates.

nomi darling

On the Ice
I tried figure roller skating briefly, both inline and four-wheeled, and didn't like it at all. I needed the secure feeling of blade biting into ice, particularly landing jumps and pairs lifts! (And it hurt more to fall with a whap instead of sliding.:eek2:o_O) But for anyone else, I'm sure it's a great way to keep skating when there's no ice. :yahoo:
Oh, man - that "whap" is the worst. I'll take sliding ANY day.

I actually hated quad roller skates when I first tried it. It probably took me until my fourth round for me to find anything at all to like about it, but I was DETERMINED that I was not going to let this activity get the best of me. Which, come to think of it, is an underlying theme for my attempts at learning figure skating, too. :LOL: But I 1000% agree - ice feels so much more secure!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Out of interest where do you practice inline skating? I have thought of getting some as I live quite a way from the rink so only go once a week, I need to improve my balance and have thought of getting some inline skates.
Usually a school sports hall/gym or sometimes the village hall. Surface is everything. My favourite place when the sun is shining, however, is Plymouth Hoe, Devon, overlooking Plymouth Sound. It's a bit up and down - fun and hard work on equal measure - and not good for practising tricky stuff, but for the sheer joy of movement there's little to beat it. Body protection is vital, though. Falling on tarmac is unpleasant.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
This is why, besides a brief foray into in lines as a preteen, I prefer the ice too.