Can Yuzuru Hanyu "three-peat" for Olympic Gold? | Golden Skate

Can Yuzuru Hanyu "three-peat" for Olympic Gold?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After his skate at Japanese Nationals, do you think Yuzu will win his third Olympic gold? Will three time World Champion Nathan Chen win gold instead?

Or do you think another skater can stop the "three peat" and win gold?

I am not saying, as I haven't made up my mind yet:) What do you think?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would be super-surprised if Hanyu attempts the quad Axel at the Olympics, so it's down to whomever has the cleanest skate.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It would certainly be historical unfortunately, I don't think anyone will beat Nathan if he skates well. Nathan has defeated Hanyu at Worlds more than once and I think he's the favorite with the Judges at this point. As well as Hanyu skates, Nathan is still ahead of him technically and I think Nathan would have to implode to lose to anyone at these games.

Yuzuru certainly has a chance, based of his performances at Japanese Nationals. Nathan may still be the favorite, but he has shown some vulnerability this year. Either way, I am rooting for Hanyu to land the quad Axel!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think the answer is yes especially considering Chen's propensity for improvising which is not something that is wise under the spotlight and pressure of an Olympics. As a USA American, I want Chen but honestly I am not betting the farm on it. So again, yes, I think Hanyu's chances are pretty good though I hope I am wrong. Though if Nathan goes rogue :eek2: I am hoping someone unexpected and thoroughly likable wins (Yuma, Vincent, Kamila - she needs at least a little challenge).

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Well, I'd love to watch Hanyu win his 3rd Olympic title but I don't see it happening. If Chen delivers, he's a virtual lock on that title - his technical content and consistency are superior atm.

The funny thing about Hanyu's two Olympic gold medals is that both times he did not skate his best bit benefitted from mistakes by his rivals (Patrick Chan and Nathan Chen). If he does win Olympic gold a third time I hope it is with a performance for the ages.

Anyway, he is the Olympic Champion until someone proves that he isn't.

Last edited:

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Obviously he can win . He is the GOAT in my opinion . However , as always , he will need to be perfect across two programs and hope Nathan stumbles significantly in one program atleast. Right now , Nathan and Yuzuru get the same GOE and PCS , although whether they should is up for debate . Hence Yuzuru does not have even that advantage that he possessed 4 years ago. He is capable of producing another record breaking short with this new program , it has all the attributes necessary to propel him to another seminal moment . This could put Nathan under some pressure certainly. But Nathan is going back to the programs that gave him the world record , and if he skates the free to the full potential he did in GPF 2019, I sadly don’t think there is anything Yuzuru can pull out of his stellar and magnificent repertoire to counteract that , and he will have to relinquish his crown to the new king . Long Live the King !

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
I would be super-surprised if Hanyu attempts the quad Axel at the Olympics, so it's down to whomever has the cleanest skate.
I wouldn't be surprised if he attempts 4A in practice but leave it out in the competition. Or if he falls behind Nathan in short by some unbridgeable margin (which I don't see a possibility), he would probably attempt 4A in the free.
Anything can happen! This year's men's field will be so exciting.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After his skate at Japanese Nationals, do you think Yuzu will win his third Olympic gold? Will three time World Champion Nathan Chen win gold instead?

Or do you think another skater can stop the "three peat" and win gold?

I am not saying, as I haven't made up my mind yet:) What do you think?
He can't win on his own. Nathan would have to make mistakes. Nathan has more difficult elements, so it's basically a numbers game.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since I follow the ladies odds religiously, I can offer some odds for the men of anyone is interested.

Olympic Games-2022. Beijing. Man.

03 FEBRUARY AT 20:30YES NO
OutrightsWINNER
Olympics 2022.
Chen Nathan
1.35 3.00
OI-2022.
Hanyu Yuzuru
7.00 1.07
Olympics 2022.
Uno Shoma
11.00 1.02