Car-less skaters, what bag do you use? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Car-less skaters, what bag do you use?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I use a sturdy non-skating-specific backpack. I live in NYC and take public transit. It's a 20 minute subway ride and a 20 minute walk (or 10 minute bus if it's there) to the rink. Between the stairs in and out of the subway and the walk, I need a comfortable and roomy bag (NOT on wheels), and not one that is so heavy in and of itself that it adds to what I have to carry. I have had the same North Face backpack (Borealis but I think they've since changed the design slightly) for over 10 years, with a couple minor sewing repairs that I did myself. It's been fine during a "normal" rain, but once I was in a torrential downpour for 20 minutes and that did not go well. But in general it's been exactly what I need.
This might be what my north face bag is? Only mine is 15 or so years old!

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi all,
I need a bag for my skates. Been using an old backpack that is slightly too small or duffel bag that is slightly too big, and it’s not working anymore. However, I either bike (have a basket on the back) or take transit to get to the rink. So a big roller bag is out. And so many of the bags also have lots of mesh. Great in theory, but not great when we get hit with bad weather. So, any recommendations of bags that you like or don’t like? Skate specific bag or a good backpack that would fit my skates? Thanks!
I use a zuca bag that i bought off of facebook marketplace for only $80, and its in fairly good condition. For me, the zuca works fine because its easy to wheel around and i can just put it in the trunk of my car when im heading to the rink. It stores my skates, gloves, towel, guards, butt pads, etc. It's nice to carry around but sometimes the wheels pop off

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have an LL Bean Deluxe Bookpack that I use for my skates. (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121113?page=deluxe-bookpack-print-iv) I’d bought it years ago for college but I find it to be too big to use as my daily commuting bag.

It doesn’t look huge from the outside but it’s amazing what it can fit!! I have my skates, knee pads, hard guards, my down vest, and several towels just in the main compartment, with plenty of room in the second compartment for a change of clothes or whatever else I might need. After I skate, I usually put the towels and hard guards in the second compartment to help keep moisture off my skates.

I haven’t carried it in extreme weather, but I’ve had it out in the rain for periods of 10-15 minutes before with absolutely no leakage into the main compartment. It’s pretty comfortable to carry too!!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have an LL Bean Deluxe Bookpack that I use for my skates. (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121113?page=deluxe-bookpack-print-iv) I’d bought it years ago for college but I find it to be too big to use as my daily commuting bag.

It doesn’t look huge from the outside but it’s amazing what it can fit!! I have my skates, knee pads, hard guards, my down vest, and several towels just in the main compartment, with plenty of room in the second compartment for a change of clothes or whatever else I might need. After I skate, I usually put the towels and hard guards in the second compartment to help keep moisture off my skates.

I haven’t carried it in extreme weather, but I’ve had it out in the rain for periods of 10-15 minutes before with absolutely no leakage into the main compartment. It’s pretty comfortable to carry too!!
I may switch later, because it's a tiny bit small, but I've been using an old backpack from my college days as well. In the end, it works well enough. I use an extra tote bag right now (for summer training I have to travel 6+ hours by transit) to carry my lunch and book.

I use a zuca bag that i bought off of facebook marketplace for only $80, and its in fairly good condition. For me, the zuca works fine because its easy to wheel around and i can just put it in the trunk of my car when im heading to the rink. It stores my skates, gloves, towel, guards, butt pads, etc. It's nice to carry around but sometimes the wheels pop off
These look cool, but having to wheel one for 10+ minutes across cobblestone streets would probably destroy the wheels or drive me bonkers. Plus, it wouldn't fit on the back of my bike. ;)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I may switch later, because it's a tiny bit small, but I've been using an old backpack from my college days as well. In the end, it works well enough. I use an extra tote bag right now (for summer training I have to travel 6+ hours by transit) to carry my lunch and book.

These look cool, but having to wheel one for 10+ minutes across cobblestone streets would probably destroy the wheels or drive me bonkers. Plus, it wouldn't fit on the back of my bike. ;)
To carry lots of things, I always use my biggest Deuter backpacks. Deuter backpacks are the best. For skate luggage, same as above I use my Zuca bag + the Edea cube bag on top, fits everything I want and I'm the kind who likes carrying everything, but the Züca bag would be impossible in a bycicle. Depending how big your bycicle basket is, would something like this fit in it? (Sorry, I don't drive bycicles, not idea if this is feasible) https://www.deuter.com/int-en/shop/backpacks/p226814-snowshoe-backpack-rise-32-sl I have this Deuter backpack and it fits SO, so many things.