Celebrating May 9 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Celebrating May 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Bohemia and Moravia were under Habsburgs since 1526. Worst consequence of the battle of Mohácz, where Louis II (king of Bohemia and Hungary that time) has died. Czech general estates then elected for Ferdinand I, the holy roman emperor. Worst decision any czech representative has ever done...

BTW as a kid I very liked hungarian movie Egri csillagok (The Stars of Eger) about the siege of the Eger fortress by Turks in 1552. I like this kind of historical movies :luv17:

OMG! Do you know, do you like the Egri csillagok movie??? Me, too! That is compulsory reading at school for 12. y.o. Bornemissza Gergely and Cecey Éva, Vicuska! Then and now https://www.google.com/search?q=egr...10#imgrc=OoQ3kIAyPi2yCM&imgdii=ZZOozkYR6ShjZM
The movie was made 50 years ago..

We were always in fight here in the centre of Europe.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
OMG! Do you know, do you like the Egri csillagok movie??? Me, too! That is compulsory reading at school for 12. y.o. Bornemissza Gergely and Cecey Éva, Vicuska! Then and now https://www.google.com/search?q=egr...10#imgrc=OoQ3kIAyPi2yCM&imgdii=ZZOozkYR6ShjZM
The movie was made 50 years ago..

We were always in fight here in the centre of Europe.

I know it's a book adaptation, but the book is completely unavailable here. After all, the movie too, it was never aired since 1990, at least as I am aware of.

For you it's probably something like "The Hussite trilogy" for us, movie adaptations of the novels written by national classic writer Alois Jirásek taking place at the beginning of the 15th century, about the church reformer Jan Hus, who was burned as a heretic by a church during the papal schism, which was ensued by the uprising of his followers against the catholics and the foreign influence. For the 15 years they were defeating one crusade after another, till, as it usually is, the inner conflicts lead them against each other.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
To connect it with skaters, I'm aware of those skaters, who mentioned this topic on their instagram profiles. There are probably others as well:
Alina
Daria
Maiia

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
To connect it with skaters, I'm aware of those skaters, who mentioned this topic on their instagram profiles. There are probably others as well

Yes, there was a link to many posts in the very beginning of this thread. This year Tatiana Tarasova was telling about her family and many skaters had long or short posts: Volosozhar, Trankov, Sinitsina, Bobrova, Zagitova, Trusova, Samodurova, Shcherbakova, Navka, Slutskaya, Averbukh, Medvedeva, Plushenko, Yagudin, Totmyanina, Gordeeva, Sotnikova, Domnina, Petrova (scroll down the thread by the link):

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-into-summer-2020.107074/page-19#post-5805550

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Yeah, we are almost neighbors and we were together under the Habsburg rule for many years. Hungary from 1667 to 1918. Many people think we were happy in the Austro-Hungarian Empire from 1867. But we didn't.

BTW I like Austria ,Czech Republic and Prague so much now! :love:

may i join you in the anti-Habsburg league?:laugh: and anyone who knows a little history knows you weren't exactly happy under austrian rule

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Is it? Because i'm in central Europe ( Balkan) and May 9 is just may 9, a normal day here. May 1 is holiday and may 25th was once celebrated to ( Youth day), but not anymore.

Here we celebrate May 8, since that is when the WWII (which started in 1939), ended.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a small child in the US when the war ended in Europe. I lived in the northeast, and can remember the huge squadrons of planes flying in formation overhead as they came home to US bases. But the war wasn't over for the US since the battles in the Pacific were still going on.

Incidentally, I recall going to the beach and seeing huge globs of tar on the sand, caused by burnt oil from torpedoed ships. While the ships were sunk far from the beaches, the tide kept bringing in the tar.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
may i join you in the anti-Habsburg league?:laugh:

I'm in! :biggrin:

and anyone who knows a little history knows you weren't exactly happy under austrian rule

Yes, but from 1867 we were the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. The Hungarians had many faults with the etchnical groups in our territory before and later and we were hated by them, too. But we weren't free!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Kristina Dubrovskaya, who was the first skater to represent Cyprus, has put the following video up on her YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_v5_0eVVU

Kristina is sitting in an office chair for all 8m 36s of the video. It starts with her talking at length to camera. I admit, because I don't understand Russian, I started winding through it after about 20 seconds. But, it is a good job I didn't just leave the video because, at 1m 9s, she starts singing. And after this song finishes (at 5m 33s), she starts singing another!

You can really sense the feeling in her voice.

Thank you for doing this, Kristina!

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the british feel it a lot, but the Anzac day is the day before (correct me if i'm wrong, birits friend), here in Italy we celebrate the liberation from the Nazis on April 25th, so do the french (on a different day, wich i don't remember now :laugh:)

:shame:

ANZAC Day is on April 25th, as CaroLiza_fan said. But it is largely of commemoration in Australia and New Zealand (for the acronym was the name of our combined force: Australia New Zealand Army Corps) and the landings on Gallipoli, in Turkey, during WW1. Though now it also serves as our general military commemoration day, where all wars are remembered and all forces are honoured. We begin with a service at dawn, the Last Post. The haunting bugle call in the darkness before dawn, while thousands stand around you with flickering candles, not so much as a sigh of sound...

And the British play no role in ANZAC Day, except as a curse, because it was the incompetence of their commanders that led to such loss and tragedy.

But as a famous German officer once said, "If I had to attack Hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it!"

We also mark VE Day (as we call it here) on May 8, as well as VP Day, but it is not as big a ceremony, except in special years. And Remembrance Day on November 11, the day WW1 ended.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the US, I think we pay more attention to the end of the war in the Pacific than the end of the war in Europe, where we definitely were the most active country. VG day just marks a late middle point milestone in the war for the US.

It was my husband's family that was more involved in WW II than mine. Ski' s dad was a boot camp drill instructor, teaching bazooka operation. Uncle Frank was a Flying Tiger. Uncle Sal fought in Italy. Cousin Fritz and Uncle John were in the sub service in the Pacific.

My Dad was helping to build subs. My only uncle was in the Navy, but he spent most of the war doing bean counting things in Philadelphia.

But my town's biggest employer, then as now, built submarines. And so we watched Victory at Sea when I was a child, which was mostly about the war in the Pacific.

For me, 75 years from the end of World War II will be on VJ Day on September 2nd.

And because that is pretty close to November 11, WW I Armistice Day, the US celebrates all Veterans then and calls it Veterans Day. I suspect that is when the US will celebrate, but I have not heard of anything being planned.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I wonder what's different for Canada (vs US). As far as I know, neither Canada nor UK were involved in the Pacific war. Still 9th of may victory day is only mentioned, and veteran day is celebrated in November.

MaHa75

On the Ice
9th may is sad day for many small easter european countries especially for baltics countries which were occupied by russian! They destroyed lot of nation by sending thousand of people to Siberia ...so it is red flag for many nations when russians celebrating it!:mad:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I wonder what's different for Canada (vs US). As far as I know, neither Canada nor UK were involved in the Pacific war. Still 9th of may victory day is only mentioned, and veteran day is celebrated in November.

They were involved, as well as Australia, New Zealand, Dutch Eastern India. They just didn't create an HBO series produced by Spielberg and Tom Hanks about it yet :devil:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:shame:

ANZAC Day is on April 25th, as CaroLiza_fan said. But it is largely of commemoration in Australia and New Zealand (for the acronym was the name of our combined force: Australia New Zealand Army Corps) and the landings on Gallipoli, in Turkey, during WW1. Though now it also serves as our general military commemoration day, where all wars are remembered and all forces are honoured. We begin with a service at dawn, the Last Post. The haunting bugle call in the darkness before dawn, while thousands stand around you with flickering candles, not so much as a sigh of sound...

And the British play no role in ANZAC Day, except as a curse, because it was the incompetence of their commanders that led to such loss and tragedy.

But as a famous German officer once said, "If I had to attack Hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it!"

We also mark VE Day (as we call it here) on May 8, as well as VP Day, but it is not as big a ceremony, except in special years. And Remembrance Day on November 11, the day WW1 ended.

In Canada, the big day is also Remembrance Day, November 11. From the Canadian War Museum site (didn't even have to click on the google link to the main site):
Canada's contribution to the First World War led to growing autonomy and international recognition, but at great cost.

So the First World War was significant for Canada as it marks an important step in our developing nationhood. I suspect that is true of Australia/New Zealand as well, for the same reasons.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
9th may is sad day for many small easter european countries especially for baltics countries which were occupied by russian! They destroyed lot of nation by sending thousand of people to Siberia ...so it is red flag for many nations when russians celebrating it!:mad:

If you think Stalin wasn't cruel to Russians, you are wrong. If you think Stalin was Russian, you are wrong once again (but his nationality is not so important).
Russians do celebrate the end of the war and are going to keep celebrating it.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'm in! :biggrin:

Yes, but from 1867 we were the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. The Hungarians had many faults with the etchnical groups in our territory before and later and we were hated by them, too. But we weren't free!

they just don't know how many times you rebelled :biggrin:

Sabrina

Record Breaker

This happened to all countries occupied by Soviet Union, not only those included in S.U. Many people were sent to Siberia or other parts of Russia after WWII. Some never came back. It is so sad. People in Russia also suffered under Stalin who was almost worse than that stupid Austrian painter. Stalin killed his own people. Rest in peace all victims of wars and what happened afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.