Coach Alex Ouriashev Commentary on TSL | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Coach Alex Ouriashev Commentary on TSL

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Although, tbh, i can see Liza considered chubby in Russia >.<
Because they are a bit crazy about weight there and what looks totally great for normal humans can be called plus size in Russia (i live between russia and brazil, russians tell me i should lose 10-15kg at least, brazillians tell me i should gain 5kg =D), so i see she could actually get bothered
Also she was tinier before, so maybe just not used to the new body and awkward/shy about it...

But then the exibition dress... Yeah, i dunno...

And not only are Russians weird about weight, they will absolutely discuss yours as a matter of casual conversation. Which is probably why Alex's brain made that connection--it's not nearly as taboo there as it is here.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She had a weigh issue big time and she even talked about it in her documentary.

Oh I don't doubt that she had hangups about her weight/size, that I totally believe. I more meant that she was never overweight even during her adjustment period. But in Russia they do seem to be a bit weight obsessed and think stick thin is always better. So many of the Russian athletes are very thin and then have really overweight parents, even coaches sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if the extreme diets they promote when athletes are young end up messing with their metabolisms for life.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
yeah her documentary talks about her weight problems here

Thanks for the link. Would love a sumary about whatshe is talking about.

TBH she looks heavier in the documentary than what she is now. And the problem with her is that she is a petit girl 5 pounts 10 pounts can made a difference in the look. Even when she is not "overweight" she will look heavier because she is smaller than other girls.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. Would love a sumary about whatshe is talking about.

TBH she looks heavier in the documentary than what she is now. And the problem with her is that she is a petit girl 5 pounts 10 pounts can made a difference in the look. Even when she is not "overweight" she will look heavier because she is smaller than other girls.

The narrator voice says that Liza became a huge hope for Sochi olympics along with her competitor and friend Adelina Sotnikova after she won GPs and Youth Olympic Games and they were on the podium many times together at Europeans and Junior worlds. But then in 2013, you could see in the footage that Liza had serious problem with her weight.

Liza's mother says it was simply puberty but she thought it would happen before and unfortunately it happened Olympic year

Then narrator says for any normal teenager it wouldn't be a problem and even they wouldn't notice extra weight but in skating, just one more kilo can affect the jumps.

Liza interview in her kitchen is half a year before olympics. She says it's a very difficult situation, because she has to do much more than the other girls to lose weight. For example for 1hour of jogging she will lose only 400 grams when other girls will lose 1kg even if she ran faster than them. Because of puberty hormones she I can't seem able to get in shape.

Liza's mum says it took more than a year to overcome.And Liza was always so tired that she would just come home and go to sleep after practice and do nothing else.

At the 2014 Russian Nationals, Liza didn't understand what what happening. She felt lost and insecure and uncoordinated. She felt the expectations of people but she could'nt believe in herself. After a minute into her FP both her and Mishin knew she wouldn't go to the olympics.

Then voice narrator says that puberty is the worst enemy for girls in figure skating. It happened to Adelina Sotnikova too but she was more lucky because it was already finished for Sochi. And this year Julia Lipnitskaya failed her season for the same puberty reasons.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
The narrator voice says that Liza became a huge hope for Sochi olympics along with her competitor and friend Adelina Sotnikova after she won GPs and Youth Olympic Games and they were on the podium many times together at Europeans and Junior worlds. But then in 2013, you could see in the footage that Liza had serious problem with her weight.

Liza's mother says it was simply puberty but she thought it would happen before and unfortunately it happened Olympic year

Then narrator says for any normal teenager it wouldn't be a problem and even they wouldn't notice extra weight but in skating, just one more kilo can affect the jumps.

Liza interview in her kitchen is half a year before olympics. She says it's a very difficult situation, because she has to do much more than the other girls to lose weight. For example for 1hour of jogging she will lose only 400 grams when other girls will lose 1kg even if she ran faster than them. Because of puberty hormones she I can't seem able to get in shape.

Liza's mum says it took more than a year to overcome.And Liza was always so tired that she would just come home and go to sleep after practice and do nothing else.

At the 2014 Russian Nationals, Liza didn't understand what what happening. She felt lost and insecure and uncoordinated. She felt the expectations of people but she could'nt believe in herself. After a minute into her FP both her and Mishin knew she wouldn't go to the olympics.

Then voice narrator says that puberty is the worst enemy for girls in figure skating. It happened to Adelina Sotnikova too but she was more lucky because it was already finished for Sochi. And this year Julia Lipnitskaya failed her season for the same puberty reasons.

Thank you daphenaxa :)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What I found most interesting in this interview with Ouriashev, and I think this wasn't mentioned before in this thread, is that he's questioning Gracie's work ethic. Only seeing her in tabloids and stuff. And beeing so near L.A. must be tempting for a famous young woman.
And this makes sense, because I don't see why her skating/jumping ability would decline with Frank Carroll as a coach. I also don't like her programs much this season, but with a new coach and a new choreographer I think it can be difficult. They tried something and it didn't work that well. We'll see with what they'll come up next season.
Ouriashev is really loud when he gets excited, this was rather entertaining.
I also don't think that he wanted to criticize Elizaveta's body. He just didn't like the dresses and tried to explain why they've chosen them for her this season. Apart from that he was only praising her.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Regarding Liza and weight and mumus

We may want to keep in mind that he could have meant more that if they make her more comfortable, they are a good idea. It could be more about her perceived issues than real issues. Regardless of if she has "body issues" or not, if she is more comfortable in the mumu, it could be a good idea to go with what makes her more comfortable. I see little wrong with letting a skater skater in something a little different if it makes them less self-conscience. And in some ways, I like seeing a coach who is ok with it rather than taking a "get over it" attitude. Whatever the reasons, they paid off this season, so i tend to agree they were a good thing.

lighthouse

Rinkside
Although, tbh, i can see Liza considered chubby in Russia >.<
Because they are a bit crazy about weight there and what looks totally great for normal humans can be called plus size in Russia (i live between russia and brazil, russians tell me i should lose 10-15kg at least, brazillians tell me i should gain 5kg =D), so i see she could actually get bothered
Also she was tinier before, so maybe just not used to the new body and awkward/shy about it...

But then the exibition dress... Yeah, i dunno...

About the exhibition dress, I think that sometimes, even if you have body issues, you can have that one dress that is cut perfectly for you and flatters you, so you feel comfortable wearing it. I did notice that even Liza's exhibition dress has an extra layer of fabric so that it doesn't cling to her body (I mean around her hip area, which may be the area she is self-conscious about).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
About the exhibition dress, I think that sometimes, even if you have body issues, you can have that one dress that is cut perfectly for you and flatters you, so you feel comfortable wearing it. I did notice that even Liza's exhibition dress has an extra layer of fabric so that it doesn't cling to her body (I mean around her hip area, which may be the area she is self-conscious about).

Liza was in fighting shape all this season but she was injured over the summer when her costumes were probably made so maybe she was more comfortable with the Mumus because she wasn't sure how long it would take her to get back into competitive shape after her injury and the Mumus would be more accommodating given that. As it turned out, it didn't take long at all for her to get into top form, so given that she was very fit all season she probably was comfortable wearing the little exhibition dress but didn't feel like getting new competitive costumes made.

Anyways I think during the scenes in the documentary where they discuss her weight, it was clear Liza was going through a transitional period with her body. I agree that she did slim down this season compared to then, but I think her weight has also redistributed and she now has her adult proportions. Puberty and the years directly after can be awkward because a lot of time people seem to put on weight in their midsection and it takes awhile for the natural body figure to reappear. And because Liza is short and has a petite body frame, this is more noticeable. She looks great now though so I think it's safe to say she figured out what works for her in regards to a training and diet plan.

moriel

Record Breaker
At any rate, Mishin will probably make her wear the mumus for the rest of her career now...
After all, he wears the same shirt for all her competitions, so he most likely will mind her clothes too: "you win in the mumus, stick to the mumus!" =D

As for puberty... Even if the weight is gained at "right" places only, its still a bit not comfortable till the girl gets used to it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I actually like Liza's costumes and I think they work for a variety of body types. She isn't a glitzy skater so I don't think the elegant costumes that Caro or Yuna wears would necessarily work better for Liza.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I actually like Liza's costumes and I think they work for a variety of body types. She isn't a glitzy skater so I don't think the elegant costumes that Caro or Yuna wears would necessarily work better for Liza.

I like the concept a lot, but I would have liked her two costumes to be a bit more different this year. I enjoyed the movement they added and the change of pace overall.

cornell08

Final Flight
I always thought the muumuu would be very un-aerodynamic and slow down the rotation of the jump.....maybe her 3A would be even better in a more streamlined dress?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Anyways I think during the scenes in the documentary where they discuss her weight, it was clear Liza was going through a transitional period with her body. I agree that she did slim down this season compared to then, but I think her weight has also redistributed and she now has her adult proportions. Puberty and the years directly after can be awkward because a lot of time people seem to put on weight in their midsection and it takes awhile for the natural body figure to reappear. And because Liza is short and has a petite body frame, this is more noticeable. She looks great now though so I think it's safe to say she figured out what works for her in regards to a training and diet plan.
Yes to all of this. And just wanted to add, from personal experience: I think, when going through puberty, there's a period when the girl appears to "puts on weight" so to speak. Not that Liza was ever overweight; she simply went from a very tiny girl to a slightly more average-sized tiny girl. If she's just a normal person, it matters less and she could just wait it out. But since she's an athlete, every pound could affect her stamina and confidence.

But as you said, after the period is over, the weight goes down as well (she just has adult proportions now). Which would probably make training/staying in shape easier again. Judging by the documentary, Liza wasn't "out of shape" because she didn't train hard enough. It was simply a difficult period in her life that came right during Olympic year.

Anyway, I hope she ditches the mumu's for next year. She's World Champion now, and I'm sure the judges won't mark her down for having breasts/hips. :laugh: In fact, if I were one of the other girls, I'd feel a bit envious that the WC can do all her tricks with a woman's body.

moriel

Record Breaker
Yes to all of this. And just wanted to add, from personal experience: I think, when going through puberty, there's a period when the girl appears to "puts on weight" so to speak. Not that Liza was ever overweight; she simply went from a very tiny girl to a slightly more average-sized tiny girl. If she's just a normal person, it matters less and she could just wait it out. But since she's an athlete, every pound could affect her stamina and confidence.

But as you said, after the period is over, the weight goes down as well (she just has adult proportions now). Which would probably make training/staying in shape easier again. Judging by the documentary, Liza wasn't "out of shape" because she didn't train hard enough. It was simply a difficult period in her life that came right during Olympic year.

Anyway, I hope she ditches the mumu's for next year. She's World Champion now, and I'm sure the judges won't mark her down for having breasts/hips. :laugh: In fact, if I were one of the other girls, I'd feel a bit envious that the WC can do all her tricks with a woman's body.

nah, she should keep the mumus (and leave mishin with his clothing stuff happy)
and take some belly dance classes =D Actually with her arms movement, if she worked a bit in that direction, to polish it, and get a bit more bottom shakyness, would be totally epic... Quite different but an epic win still =D

andromache

Record Breaker
Re-listening to the interview (while I write a paper :p) and this time I'm picking up much more of Alex's pride in Gracie. I also think he has very lovely things to say about Ashley--all the ladies, really--but given Ashley's technical struggles I think the way he praises her ability to begin overcoming them is wonderful.

One thing that struck me is when J&D bring up that Gracie was first in the short at WTT, he very quickly dismisses it as not really being first place simply because Liza fell, which seems kind of unfair. Skaters in events all year every year often beat skaters who are "better" than them but didn't skate clean. He only dismissed Gracie's placement--not Satoko beating Elena at Worlds and not Javier beating Yuzuru at Worlds. I thought that was one of his sillier comments, but I'll reiterate that this is still an excellent, informative interview.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
He only dismissed Gracie's placement--not Satoko beating Elena at Worlds and not Javier beating Yuzuru at Worlds. I thought that was one of his sillier comments, but I'll reiterate that this is still an excellent, informative interview.

This was TSL's recap of the Ladies & Mens event at WTT, wasn't it?

andromache

Record Breaker
This was TSL's recap of the Ladies & Mens event at WTT, wasn't it?

They did rehash Worlds some! Dave specifically asked Alex about Satoko and asked "Do you really think she's the second best in the world?" (or something to that effect.) And they discussed Javier's win over Yuzuru.

I'm not just nitpicking over made-up stuff.:)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I haven't listened again to confirm 100%, but as you mentioned above, I think Alex was responding to a comment/question from J&D about Gracie placing first in the SP at WTT. It seems like J&D really drove the direction of the most of the recap.

Lipea

Final Flight
I have listened to the whole interview and haven't found anything offensive in what he was saying of anyone.
His tone of voice is a bit irritating which is worsened by the fact that as the most of older soviet people he probably thinks he needs to speak louder on a phone (skype).
But I indeed think that his English is excellent, I (as a Russian speaker :p) haven't had any trouble understanding his accent.

He was praising Liza and Mishin a lot and obviously didn't mean to offend her. In Russian, if you say that someone's body is not perfect it is not equal to "not good", indeed it means "not ideal by standard common view". Unless you are a model who aims for a perfect look, there is nothing wrong to say that someone doesn't have a perfect body.
Plus, Liza significantly lost weight since last summer. So, when she made those dresses, it was most likely true that she wanted to hide certain "imperfections" of her body, to feel comfortable by using those designs. For a new season, I am pretty sure, she is not going to have two mumu-dresses.

I was not following Gracie, so for me it was a surprise to know that she started to train with Frank only a couple years ago:p. I actually think that Ouriashev tried to be very polite about her. It is bittery to see how this girl, who had probably the most potential than anyone in the world to become a leader of this season, is ruining what she had, instead of learning and improving. I can only imagine how hurtful it is to see this for her ex-coach who worked with her on all those aspects and made her a star of that level. He said indeed a lot of good things about her: that she has very strong character, that she used to be very very consistent in practice, etc. He obviously had desire for her to become the best, to improve more, but she left him. But we don't know what was the reason of their break-up so it's impossible to say whose fault it was.

Last edited: