Conrad Orzel | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Conrad Orzel

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Finally got a chance to watch Conrad's FS. What a ride it was.

So this competition didn't go as planned for Conrad. Conrad did have some beautiful triple Axels to start off his programs though. I am wondering how much training the 4Lz is affecting the timing of his 3Lz because he's having problems with it this season despite successfully doing 3Lz+3T last season. Maybe it's time to put the training of that 4Lz on the back burner in a season where the solo SP jump is a 3Lz. Now for the FS - 4everchan has pointed out to me that each of the three times he's performed the FS this season he's had a different layout. And each time it's been a struggle. For reference, here are the FS protocols from his 3 competitions this season.

Minto
Summer Skate
JGP Cup of Austria

I am guessing the Minto layout was an experimental one, to challenge him and test his limits. The Summer Skate layout was closer to what he would do on the JGP, with the 4Lz gone. But when that did not go well either the layout was revised once again. So Conrad hasn't had a chance to get used to skating one layout. As this a new program, that's compounded the problem of jump consistency. Though in Salzburg he also completely lost control in his camel spin. That's an unusual mistake to see and suggests that earlier jump issues made Conrad lose focus. It was good he kept a cool head and caught up with his music. But he was rattled.

It's a bit late to say this here but I am not a big fan of Allison Purkiss' choreo for Conrad. I didn't like the choreo for his previous FS either. Allison is an excellent coach and choreographer for junior pairs, but I am of the opinion that she's not a good fit for Conrad. I am not sure why Conrad & Eva went back to her, but maybe they liked her previous work for him because of the success he had. Conrad's SP and even his exhibitions I find are a better fit for his style of skating. However, now that he has this choreo and program he needs to perform it to the best of his abilities. And I believe he can do that. Once he settles into one layout and trains it continuously for a few weeks he should have a better outcome. Because right now it looks like the two weeks between Summer Skate and JGP Cup of Austria were not enough. And once again I ask for the National Summer Series to be moved up so that skaters have more time to get a better feel for their programs.

Good luck to Conrad in Poland. You can do it!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i totally agree mango! let me add one thing, Conrad is so talented that I am sure he will bounce back. Figure skating is a difficult sport in itself and on top of that, the performance aspect of it makes it critical to have intense focus. Conrad showed last year, at Nationals and at Junior Worlds he could deliver when it counts most. I think he will get his groove as he grows. His strength are his wonderful jumps. I am sure they will come back...his 3 axels were very stable

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad's OP was updated (thanks for all your help mango)

Let's hope that Polish fans cheer Conrad loudly at his next JGP event and inspire him personal bests !!!!!

Go Conrad!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As a Polish native speaker I would never say his name in that way :scratch2: :laugh: But of course it's his family choice how to pronounce their name in the country they live now. Good to know, as he could not recognize his name pronounced in Polish ;)

i know LOL... well i don't but when i put Orzel on google translate it sounds like Orgel with a very open O and nice soft g...

and well in "canadian" Conrad is now ORZOL or something ;) but yeah... this is what happens when you settle in another country, with other languages than your native one... my last cannot be pronounced in English either... and when i lived on the west coast, it was never said properly a single time ;) so i started introducing myself with a somewhat less offensive (to me) English version :)

icetug

Medalist
i know LOL... well i don't but when i put Orzel on google translate it sounds like Orgel with a very open O and nice soft g...

There are three (!) differences in pronunciation: 1. in Polish stress is put on a last but one syllable (Conrad puts it on the last one); 2. "rz" in fact is one sound, mostly like "zh"; 3. last letter originally is "ł", not "l", and sounds like "w" in English "what".

this is what happens when you settle in another country, with other languages than your native one... my last cannot be pronounced in English either... and when i lived on the west coast, it was never said properly a single time ;) so i started introducing myself with a somewhat less offensive (to me) English version :)

Yes, I understand the problem, the more I have a family in Canada and their name is also difficult to pronounce. They decided to teach their work- and classmates its original pronunciation, however it is not easy even for my cousin born in Canada to say her name properly :)

icetug

Medalist
Conrad definitely reminds me Tom Hiddleston in that suit (tho he is more handsome, I'd say :laugh:)

icetug

Medalist
Conrad is apparently going to compete at ACI juniors... [/url]
Great news. The more experience in big events, the better (even though there are only four competitors on junior level - but I believe that atmosphere of the event is important and that one, with Yuzu, Javi etc., can be of good influence on Conrad).
Two Canadian junior competitors have been replaced - what happened?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Great news. The more experience in big events, the better (even though there are only four competitors on junior level - but I believe that atmosphere of the event is important and that one, with Yuzu, Javi etc., can be of good influence on Conrad).
Two Canadian junior competitors have been replaced - what happened?

no idea.... but Jo and Conrad (if we leave Steven out of the discussion) are on paper, potentially the top junior guys in Canada since they have 3a and quads.... so having them face each other should be good... and then, BANG... back to GP circuit... Joseph still has a slim chance.... Conrad probably doesn't have any chance at all, but he needs to redeem himself and finish positively.... also, any points he will take away from other guys could help Joseph get a spot on JPGF, granted Joseph finishes first.. or perhaps even second...

I hope I can see videos of this event... Since I didn't know, I booked myself to work, so I cannot live stream... I really hope to see Conrad and Jo and wish them well!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well... it was a mistake.. there is no conrad in juniors of ACI... so next competition is indeed in Poland...

Go White Eagle!

Marvin

Spectator
Conrad collided with another skater at warm up. He went down hard on his knees. Something was off with his 3A. I hope he is ok and recover for Saturday. He is one of my favourite Canadian skaters. His technical ability is off the charts. I wish him well and can’t wait to see him progress!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you Marvin for honoring us, here, Conrad fans, with your two first posts in Golden Skate!!!! Please post often!!!! I was so thrilled about Conrad's free skate that I didn't notice at first that he was getting a medal!!!! I was getting ready for work and thought.. oh well... 3rd in the LP... what a come back and then people made me realize it also meant 3rd overall!!!

There was very little room for error and once again, Conrad fought and delivered. Tagging the 3S after the lutz was brilliant as I suspect he intended that combo on the axel.

WOW! I am so happy that Conrad is making progress... for me, he is a diamond in the rough but a supreme quality one! I hope he gets help to polish his skating skills and get programs that are meaningful and personal to him soon but wow... i am always impressed when I see him! BRAVO