Conrad Orzel | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Conrad Orzel

icetug

Medalist
Bronze medal, PB in FS, the best score for one element (15.46 for 4T+3T) in the competition :clapper: :yahoo:
He was excellent today, even with some mistakes (but only Koshiro made no mistakes). So can somebody tell me why he was so obviously disappointed? Is he always so shy, almost diffident? Or was his sad face caused by pain (something wrong with his right foot?)?
Anyway, great job. Hope he felt warm greeting of the audience (nicely packed today) :hap10::clap::clap::hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bronze medal, PB in FS, the best score for one element (15.46 for 4T+3T) in the competition :clapper: :yahoo:
He was excellent today, even with some mistakes (but only Koshiro made no mistakes). So can somebody tell me why he was so obviously disappointed? Is he always so shy, almost diffident? Or was his sad face caused by pain (something wrong with his right foot?)?
Anyway, great job. Hope he felt warm greeting of the audience (nicely packed today) :hap10::clap::clap::hap10:

i don't know but Conrad can skate clean... he has done it in very important events... and the mistakes on the 3axel have cost him a lot of grief.. It's a very stable jump for him. I am just happy that his performance was good enough for some hardware!!! I am sure that when that sinks in, he will be happy about it ;)

icetug

Medalist
i don't know but Conrad can skate clean... he has done it in very important events... and the mistakes on the 3axel have cost him a lot of grief..
I just worry that he puts himself under pressure so much that he even is not able to be satisfied with the final result. I'd like to see him smiling... he has such a beautiful smile...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just worry that he puts himself under pressure so much that he even is not able to be satisfied with the final result. I'd like to see him smiling... he has such a beautiful smile...

I agree that he puts a lot of pressure on himself.... he knows he has quads and a very solid 3a.... he knows that on paper, he is equipped to win... so when he makes a mistake, he can completely lose it... i think it was progress in poland as he certainly recovered nicely there from the SP and also from the 3A mistake in the LP.

For the rest : Conrad does look good when he smiles... not much doubt there ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OK, now I know why Conrad was sad in Gdansk: he simply missed his YRSA Brothers:laugh:

Strange, but reasonable. Let Japanese fans know meaning of his name! :thumbsup:

oh it was on the gdansk page... I am guessing that perhaps my facebook is set to English and the JGP's page to Polish... so it's automatic? Maybe not ;)

Our flying eagle !!!! WOOT!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lucky you icetug to see him compete!!!
:)

i am also looking forward to seeing him... i am under the impression that he flies very high!!!!! If he has to qualify for nationals at challenge, it will be in montreal... i may be able to go for one day....

icetug

Medalist
Lucky you icetug to see him compete!!!
:)

Yes, it was a privilege and joy (and a lot of anxiety as you feel much more connected with the skaters having them in front of your eyes).
I would never miss the opportunity of seeing Conrad competing in Gdansk. There are no many events on senior level in Poland so actually we can see the best skaters "in advance", as juniors (like Yuzuru in 2009 when he won JGP in Torun and nobody knew how great skater he would be). Hope I will boast about seeing Conrad when he wins the most important senior competitions :biggrin:

Conrad seems to be in his inner world while skating. He’s not a showman kind: in Gdansk audience seats were just behind the jurors so we can see all the faces made by some skaters to the jurors and to the main camera and I noticed that Conrad didn’t even recognize the jurors presence.

As I mentioned above: I saw him shy and sad – what could be caused by his concern and concentration. On the other hand, there were many people interviewing him and taking photos together after his performance and he smiled at last :luv17:

And his "thank you" in Polish is excellent :)

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Yes, it was a privilege and joy (and a lot of anxiety as you feel much more connected with the skaters having them in front of your eyes).
I would never miss the opportunity of seeing Conrad competing in Gdansk. There are no many events on senior level in Poland so actually we can see the best skaters "in advance", as juniors (like Yuzuru in 2009 when he won JGP in Torun and nobody knew how great skater he would be). Hope I will boast about seeing Conrad when he wins the most important senior competitions :biggrin:

Conrad seems to be in his inner world while skating. He’s not a showman kind: in Gdansk audience seats were just behind the jurors so we can see all the faces made by some skaters to the jurors and to the main camera and I noticed that Conrad didn’t even recognize the jurors presence.

As I mentioned above: I saw him shy and sad – what could be caused by his concern and concentration. On the other hand, there were many people interviewing him and taking photos together after his performance and he smiled at last :luv17:

And his "thank you" in Polish is excellent :)

Also he is really nice and charming guy. I talked to him after FS and he was constantly smiling and yes - his Polish is very good :D
Even tough on video from competition he seemed a little bit disappointed I can tell you that after few minutes he looked like he was really satisfied with his score.

His skating was really good but if I had to improve something in his programs I'd choose spins. They were noticeably weaker than his top rivals' spins. And please get him new choreographer because there were moments when program seemed to be empty :shock2:

But it was still really good performance. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also he is really nice and charming guy. I talked to him after FS and he was constantly smiling and yes - his Polish is very good :D
Even tough on video from competition he seemed a little bit disappointed I can tell you that after few minutes he looked like he was really satisfied with his score.

His skating was really good but if I had to improve something in his programs I'd choose spins. They were noticeably weaker than his top rivals' spins. And please get him new choreographer because there were moments when program seemed to be empty :shock2:

some of us have been hoping for that .... :shock2: he needs to get to work with someone who understands him, his personality and brings it out on the ice.

Marvin

Spectator

Great comments ejnsofi. I also believe that his free program needs more refinement.

I wonder if there will be any surprises on a Canadien Senior circuit under his sleeve. I guess we will find out in Montreal. Can’t wait!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad skated his short program today at sectionals where he is skating as a senior for the first time...

He was very ambitious attempting 2 quads in his SP... way to go!!!! he didn't land everything but I am excited that he is not afraid of quads!!!!

Protocols