Conrad Orzel | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Conrad Orzel

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad's fan fest has been updated following sectionals where he placed 2nd. It is a good placement for him considering that on the podium, he was accompanied by Stephen Gogolev and Bennet Toman! Bravo Conrad.

Also, I have added a "quad centre" on his OP... just to show his progress adding quads to competition programs. As we know, Conrad has landed all of them in practice but is gradually learning to cope with them in competition. This weekend, he landed his first quad salchow. Bravo Conrad!!!!

PS As I am a recent follower of juniors, I have no idea when he did land his first 4T so if anyone knows, I will be happy to update the quad centre.

icetug

Medalist
Thank you, siberia 82 and 4everchan, for news about Conrad. I spent Saturday night watching videos from Canadian Sectionals... what's wrong with me?! :dev3: (I must add that now I can recognize just by posture more Canadian juniors than Polish... and that is real drama ;)).

Please tell me what the qualification was for? Nationals? Does it mean that Conrad is going to compete on senior level in January? (And what about Stephen - he will turn 13 in December, so will he compete as a junior in Nationals?)

I am happy that Conrad is developing his technical skills, it's crucial to have solid base. Still not sure about his FS, especially in "senior" version, where these 30 seconds of nice walz seem to be quite empty. And his performance in Gdańsk was better than this in Oakville, so let him compete in Poland :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you, siberia 82 and 4everchan, for news about Conrad. I spent Saturday night watching videos from Canadian Sectionals... what's wrong with me?! :dev3: (I must add that now I can recognize just by posture more Canadian juniors than Polish... and that is real drama ;)).

Please tell me what the qualification was for? Nationals? Does it mean that Conrad is going to compete on senior level in January? (And what about Stephen - he will turn 13 in December, so will he compete as a junior in Nationals?)

I am happy that Conrad is developing his technical skills, it's crucial to have solid base. Still not sure about his FS, especially in "senior" version, where these 30 seconds of nice walz seem to be quite empty. And his performance in Gdańsk was better than this in Oakville, so let him compete in Poland :laugh:

HEHE :) we are keeping Con con but are happy for him to compete in Poland any time ;)

Conrad has decided to compete senior nationally. I was a bit apprehensive of that, because despite his incredible potential, he is young and needs a bit more time to polish and refine his skating. However, considering that a top 5 in Canada is possible for him, and this year, meaning that he would get most likely a trip to 4CC if he got in the top 5, it's a good step for him to secure his transition into seniors.

Internationally, we will find out after Nationals : i think Jo and Con are most likely to go to junior worlds..

And yes, the competition you watched, was the qualifying round, now there will be another round called challenge where conrad should qualify for Nationals.

Finally, Stephen cannot compete in juniors internationally... no need for him to bother skating juniors at all so he is competing seniors.

icetug

Medalist
Conrad, Joseph and Stephen - all three are going to compete among seniors :hap10: Suppose that for the first time on that level?
Go boys! Fly high, Orzel! :cheer:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad, Joseph and Stephen - all three are going to compete among seniors :hap10: Suppose that for the first time on that level?
Go boys! Fly high, Orzel! :cheer:

Joseph did Nationals as senior last year.... but for Coco and Gogo, it's a first... and yes, the first time all 3 meet this year ;)

icetug

Medalist
Joseph did Nationals as senior last year.... but for Coco and Gogo, it's a first... and yes, the first time all 3 meet this year ;)
OK, I still barely understand Canadian system of qualifications. Joseph and Conrad competed in juniors in Skate Canada Challenge last year and Joseph did Nationals as senior... For now I must remember that this is possible ;)
What is a key for Nationals then? Is Skate Canada Challenge the only event between Sectionals and Nationals?

I am not sure I like "Coco" for Conrad as we have Coco Kaminski among senior ladies (competing for Poland, by the way) :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OK, I still barely understand Canadian system of qualifications. Joseph and Conrad competed in juniors in Skate Canada Challenge last year and Joseph did Nationals as senior... For now I must remember that this is possible ;)
What is a key for Nationals then? Is Skate Canada Challenge the only event between Sectionals and Nationals?

I am not sure I like "Coco" for Conrad as we have Coco Kaminski among senior ladies (competing for Poland, by the way) :laugh:

hahaha let's drop coco ;) concon? :) hahahaahahahahahaha coco is a bit girly girly birdie for such a big eagle ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry for the wait, but I finally uploaded my fancams of Conrad's performances from the SC Challenge.

SP (Fancam 1080p): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6b8ef7

LP (Fancam 1080p): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6benm7 I apologize for my camerawork being more shaky than usual, but I had the misfortune of sitting in front of a guy who wouldn't stop talking throughout Conrad's performance; you can even hear him say the F-word when Conrad singles the Axel. :rolleye: His rudeness was so distracting that it negatively affected my concentration. :angry2:

icetug

Medalist
Sorry for the wait, but I finally uploaded my fancams of Conrad's performances from the SC Challenge.
I apologize for my camerawork being more shaky than usual, but I had the misfortune of sitting in front of a guy who wouldn't stop talking throughout Conrad's performance

Thank you for uploading. I have watched Conrad's performances several times, but your video gives me possibility to see it from a "reverse" side (as you sat opposite to jurors). Still very nice :luv17: And that guy sitting in front of you should have been treated with a needle or a tent hook ;)

Looking for information on Conrad's coach, Eva Najarro, I was suprised by finding that she is Polish (so not only Grzegorz Filipowski has been coaching young Canadian skaters...). And I came across pictures of 11-12 y.o. Conrad which are so cute that I decided to link them here in case somebody don't know them:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive.../AF1QipN4nVg3Gt_y58tE3pTWmKkSdc0LuXH6gpFW0njG (album of Eva Najarro pictures, half of them with Conrad)
http://www.yrsawc.on.ca/team-announcements/8yrsaskatersattendsaskatchewanevent--yorkregioncom (group of YRSA skaters five years ago, among them Conrad, Roman - and Alex I know from last Roman's vlog :laugh:)

Conrad's been hard at work on his quads
There are still four weeks till Canadian Nationals, hope he feels confident with jumps and both his programs as a whole.
Don't know why I'm excited more by CTNSC than by Four Nationals :laugh:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you for uploading. I have watched Conrad's performances several times, but your video gives me possibility to see it from a "reverse" side (as you sat opposite to jurors). Still very nice :luv17: And that guy sitting in front of you should have been treated with a needle or a tent hook ;)

You're welcome, icetug; I'm glad that you enjoyed seeing Conrad's programs from a different angle. :) It was my first time watching him compete in person, and while it's unfortunate that he sometimes struggled with the jumps, the experience helped me to appreciate his skating more. His presence on the ice is a lot more striking as an audience member than when I look at a screen.

The loudmouth was sitting behind me, not in front, and I had to resist the urge to turn around and hit him with my camera. :scowl: