continue skating in college | Golden Skate

continue skating in college

iceskating21

On the Ice
As my skater is in high school, she is really interested in how to continue skating in college. As mom who will pay for her college, the first thing I am interested in is scholarship or admission chances. As far as I heard from other moms in my rink, figure skating is not a sport that many colleges are interested in. A little bit disappointed. But still, if she can continue what she loves, that's nice too. In our state, there is a university whose synchronized team is not bad. So every year, a couple of junior/senior skaters in my rink went to their summer camps and tried to get admission as well as admission to their synchronized team. Of course, they are the ones who have been in synchronized teams for years. Unfortunately, my skater is not in synchronized team. As a single skater, she mainly competed regionally and participated in almost every year's club ice shows. I know there is collegial competition. But I wonder how many universities have FSC with coaches to make it happen. Is there any other chance for college skaters?

I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience who continues skating in college, like events, schools, and etc. I appreciate any sharing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As my skater is in high school, she is really interested in how to continue skating in college. As mom who will pay for her college, the first thing I am interested in is scholarship or admission chances. As far as I heard from other moms in my rink, figure skating is not a sport that many colleges are interested in. A little bit disappointed. But still, if she can continue what she loves, that's nice too. In our state, there is a university whose synchronized team is not bad. So every year, a couple of junior/senior skaters in my rink went to their summer camps and tried to get admission as well as admission to their synchronized team. Of course, they are the ones who have been in synchronized teams for years. Unfortunately, my skater is not in synchronized team. As a single skater, she mainly competed regionally and participated in almost every year's club ice shows. I know there is collegial competition. But I wonder how many universities have FSC with coaches to make it happen. Is there any other chance for college skaters?

I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience who continues skating in college, like events, schools, and etc. I appreciate any sharing.
Skating in college exists. Cornell, Harvard, Yale, CC of Col Springs. IT does happen and there are others. Google is your best help here to find the other schools. And skating at a local rink near the school of choice is also an option.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi!

I did collegiate skating so can answer a lot of questions. I paid $75-$250 a year to skate including 10 hours of ice time a week, coaching, competition fees, and team gear. My school doesn't have a synchro team, but we skated in the hockey games and shoveled ice, and had a holiday show. There were no scholarships at my school for skating but the fee was very reasonable when you consider how much ice time is. Some skaters at my school do it for just the ice time and skate synchro at other clubs. My school was a small school and we had about 20 kids on our team.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/skating-opportunities/collegiate-skating this is a good page to start with but feel free to ask me any more specific questions. You can also create your own skating program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know a little from having been to college competitions. But it's in the back of my mind somewhere, there is a podcast about just this thing where they spent a whole hour talking about it. I'm trying to remember which podcast, because I listen to many of them. It will now drive me nuts until I remember and come back and post it here.

There is money to be won at Collegiate Championships but not much, I think $3,000 for top prize. It would not pay for a year's skating.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, you cannot get recruited, but there are lots of opportunities to skate in college.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://www.instagram.com/merrimackfigureskating/?hl=en

here's some info from my old school.

There is no money won at intercollegiate champs.
Yes, there is.

Senior Men's and Women's Champions $4,000
Second Place $2,000
Third Place $1,000
Junior Men's and Women's Champions $1,000
Second Place $500

It's not a LOT of money..

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States

midori green

On the Ice
One thing to look at is if the figure skating program is listed as varsity vs club. Varsity programs are funded by the school, so things like ice time, coaching, and travel expenses for competitions will be "free" (anything free at a college/university is included in tuition, of course). There might not be scholarships for skating team members, but it sure makes skating less expensive!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
One thing to look at is if the figure skating program is listed as varsity vs club. Varsity programs are funded by the school, so things like ice time, coaching, and travel expenses for competitions will be "free" (anything free at a college/university is included in tuition, of course). There might not be scholarships for skating team members, but it sure makes skating less expensive!
Some clubs still cover almost everything in dues except extra ice time. For example, Colorado College will give you multiple hours of ice time a week (not a LOT if you're used to training 5 days a week but it's enough for the average college student) included in dues that are usually less than 1,000 a year. BU has even more ice (like 20 a week IIRC from my convo with them) that's a really low payment to get access to all of it as well. OP, definitely have your child get in contact with the captains at schools they're interested in.

2sk8

Rinkside
I have a lot of experience with collegiate and intercollegiate skating, so feel free to ask questions! Collegiate Championships does have the prize money listed above, but as that was added in past years, higher level competitors have particiapted so I wouldn't count on winning that. It is still great fun and experience!

Intercollegiate is very different. There are schools with varsity programs in synchro (Adrian, Ohio, etc.) and/or intercollegiate (Delaware, Dartmouth, etc.) and those have some funding - scholarships, ice time, some coaching. Many colleges and universities have club and student run programs. These certainly don't get the funding you are hoping for, but there are many opportunities to continue skating, competing and develop a strong core group of friends while at school. The team aspect makes it a lot of fun!

USFS has a good list of schools you can research HERE.

iceskating21

On the Ice
I have a lot of experience with collegiate and intercollegiate skating, so feel free to ask questions! Collegiate Championships does have the prize money listed above, but as that was added in past years, higher level competitors have particiapted so I wouldn't count on winning that. It is still great fun and experience!

Intercollegiate is very different. There are schools with varsity programs in synchro (Adrian, Ohio, etc.) and/or intercollegiate (Delaware, Dartmouth, etc.) and those have some funding - scholarships, ice time, some coaching. Many colleges and universities have club and student run programs. These certainly don't get the funding you are hoping for, but there are many opportunities to continue skating, competing and develop a strong core group of friends while at school. The team aspect makes it a lot of fun!

USFS has a good list of schools you can research HERE.
This sounds great! But the link doesn't work. Would you please check the link and repost it?