Figure skating camps for adults | Golden Skate

Figure skating camps for adults

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has attended figure skating camps for adults.

I work remotely, can work from anywhere in the world that has internet connection and electricity and can fulfill my job's responsibilities at my own schedule/time, so I've been thinking I'd love to attend a figure skating camp preferably in Europe (central or eastern). Maybe it's already too late to sign up for one this year (there is one here locally in Japan that I might go, but I'm more interested in European camps) but I was just wondering if any adult skaters around here have gone to such camps, which camps did you go, how was your experience and would you recommend it.

Thank you so much in advance and I hope everyone is having a good day, whatever time it is in your time zone.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has attended figure skating camps for adults.

I work remotely, can work from anywhere in the world that has internet connection and electricity and can fulfill my job's responsibilities at my own schedule/time, so I've been thinking I'd love to attend a figure skating camp preferably in Europe (central or eastern). Maybe it's already too late to sign up for one this year (there is one here locally in Japan that I might go, but I'm more interested in European camps) but I was just wondering if any adult skaters around here have gone to such camps, which camps did you go, how was your experience and would you recommend it.

Thank you so much in advance and I hope everyone is having a good day, whatever time it is in your time zone.
Hi,
what level do you have ? And what do you want to work on ?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hello!
Thank you for your reply.
I'm working on all singles including axel.
I'm open to go to any kind of camp which accomodates adults of lower levels such as me, but given the option, I would love to work on technique in general, edges, and have plenty of off ice sessions. Off ice training is not a thing around here (Japan) and the only very few locations that even have harnesses are for kids only. This will maybe change next year when Mao Asada opens her new ice rink, which will be very close to my home, and hse has said locally that her rink will have off ice training for all.
On ice coaches give advice on off ice warm up exercises, many skaters watch youtube videos from overseas and copy the exercises at home if they have the space (tiny homes here in Japan, not much space for exercising) or in the rink, before practice, but we're lacking off ice coaches, so I would love to work on that in a camp if possible.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hello!
Thank you for your reply.
I'm working on all singles including axel.
I'm open to go to any kind of camp which accomodates adults of lower levels such as me, but given the option, I would love to work on technique in general, edges, and have plenty of off ice sessions. Off ice training is not a thing around here (Japan) and the only very few locations that even have harnesses are for kids only. This will maybe change next year when Mao Asada opens her new ice rink, which will be very close to my home, and hse has said locally that her rink will have off ice training for all.
On ice coaches give advice on off ice warm up exercises, many skaters watch youtube videos from overseas and copy the exercises at home if they have the space (tiny homes here in Japan, not much space for exercising) or in the rink, before practice, but we're lacking off ice coaches, so I would love to work on that in a camp if possible.
see some camps I found
I have no experiende in ryabinin-Camps, but Telfs is nice, close to Innsbruck / Austria and the price seems reasonable

the intermediate package is not exclusively for adults, but the price ias reasonable, also in Telfs

only three days on short notice only but for adults, in oberstdorf German

an other option for oberstdorf would be to contact Sofie Barnova in Oberstdorf who is teaching on and off ice. Oberstdorf has ice year round

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The most popular skate camps for adults in the UK are run by Mark Hanretty but they tend to just be one day, which is a long way to come from Japan for a few hours! The camps are very popular and get booked up almost immediately the details are released on social media. https://markhanretty.com/

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@lilimum Thank you so much for the awesome list! The one in Germany looks really interesting, I lived in Germany before living in Japan :) I'll definitely check all of them out. Did you attend them?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@WednesdayMarch thank you so much for your reply! One day is definitely a little short to go to a camp from overseas 😅 Have you gone to this camp? As a teenager I flew to other countries for only a few hours of practice with famous teachers when I was a ballerina, so I wouldn't completely discard the possibility if it's very worth it! :D

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
@lilimum Thank you so much for the awesome list! The one in Germany looks really interesting, I lived in Germany before living in Japan :) I'll definitely check all of them out. Did you attend them?
I didn*t attend (I was a roller skater in my youth, no ice rinks in the North of Germany). My daughter is an acitve figure skating so I know the places, Oberstdorf Iknow very well. Andfor my opinion the coaches (from the camp and the Barna family) are doing a good job.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@lilimum I lived in Berlin and wasn't practicing figure skating when I lived in Germany :(
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. :)
I haven't gone again to Germany since I moved to Japan and I'd love to go again, even better if it is because of figure skating training, so I will put Oberstdorf in my list of training places to go <3

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The most popular skate camps for adults in the UK are run by Mark Hanretty but they tend to just be one day, which is a long way to come from Japan for a few hours! The camps are very popular and get booked up almost immediately the details are released on social media. https://markhanretty.com/
I haven't, but I know adults who have and they have really benefitted from Mark's teaching. He also teaches privately.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
A friend and I have looked at camps for next summer. Besides what @lilimum mentioned, we've also looked at a couple in Northern Italy and in Andorra.

Italy: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrNlv9nIMbd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Andorra: https://www.iceplanetcamp.com/iceplanet23-weeks-27-28-29-30

I've been skating in Oberstdorf this summer, and I've been considering the Ryabinin camps (in Teplice) for next summer.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You could also check out Yebin Mok on Instagram. She does run skate camps in the UK (also, I believe, usually one day) but she has an excellent off-ice program that she runs via Instagram and YouTube.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
see some camps I found
I have no experiende in ryabinin-Camps, but Telfs is nice, close to Innsbruck / Austria and the price seems reasonable
No to ryabinin camps. The instructors are not good, and they speak almost no English.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thankss for feedback. There should be a thread dedicated to figure skating camps. Some good camps are really hard to find in internet. Some popping up first in google search but seem not to be so good.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thankss for feedback. There should be a thread dedicated to figure skating camps. Some good camps are really hard to find in internet. Some popping up first in google search but seem not to be so good.
Maybe the forum's owner will allow us to have a "Figure Slating Camps" thread? That's what I was looking for when I decided to post this thread. They seem like such a great, fun activity and an awesome way to improve skating by being tutored by different eyes, other than our regular coaches.
And I agree, I did run a Google search before posting as well, and I came across Ryabinin camps but it is my opinion that the website didn't offer very comprehensive information about them. Running a more specific search, I came accross this too -> https://www.alanskatingcamp.com/ in the Czech Republic and couldn't help wondering if anyone here has attended. I always like hearing about other skaters experiences.
I have plenty of experience regarding ballet camps, semesters etc since I am a former professional and spent several stays in Russia that were amazing to me in every sense I can think of, but except for a local camp here in Japan in another prefecture (Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture this summer) I came to learn about many international options for figure skating camps for adults.
I'd think other skaters here would be also interested in this kind of information :)

EDITED TO ADD This https://www.alanskatingcamp.com/ is convenient because they offer accommodation + 1/2 board + transport from and to the airport in Prague, but I have no idea if it's any good.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Maybe the forum's owner will allow us to have a "Figure Slating Camps" thread? That's what I was looking for when I decided to post this thread. They seem like such a great, fun activity and an awesome way to improve skating by being tutored by different eyes, other than our regular coaches.
And I agree, I did run a Google search before posting as well, and I came across Ryabinin camps but it is my opinion that the website didn't offer very comprehensive information about them. Running a more specific search, I came accross this too -> https://www.alanskatingcamp.com/ in the Czech Republic and couldn't help wondering if anyone here has attended. I always like hearing about other skaters experiences.
I have plenty of experience regarding ballet camps, semesters etc since I am a former professional and spent several stays in Russia that were amazing to me in every sense I can think of, but except for a local camp here in Japan in another prefecture (Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture this summer) I came to learn about many international options for figure skating camps for adults.
I'd think other skaters here would be also interested in this kind of information :)

EDITED TO ADD This https://www.alanskatingcamp.com/ is convenient because they offer accommodation + 1/2 board + transport from and to the airport in Prague, but I have no idea if it's any good.

I attended. The technique was weird and inefficient, the coaches pushed kids in stretching until they very literally cried. The instruction itself wasn't very good, and they just repeated the two same comments after every jump (for almost every skater).

They also filmed skaters landing jumps they could already do for the instagram advertisements. They dangerously overloaded the ice (elite skaters landing triples with 4years old skaters just learning how to skate). It resulted in many crashes. In every situation there where way too many skaters for the groups, with huge variations in age and ability.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany

Florent is offereing a camp with basic level in Turkiye. I like Florent's classes - but to find information about the camps is a nightmare.

Elija

On the Ice
OP, if you’re open to going to the US rather than Europe, the Road to Gold camp in Colorado is great. Specifically for adults. They’ve changed the format this year and you can pick your own ‘classes’ that you want to do, so basically build your own custom programme. Last year we were split into groups and you just did al the classes with your group, but this year sounds better, so you can focus on what you want to. Coaches were great and the rink in Vail is lovely (although the town is soooo expensive!)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you're willing to come to the US, at the end of August there's an adult skating week in Sun Valley. ;)

19th Annual Adult Skaters Week | August 20-26, 2023​

Featuring National, International, World and Olympic presenters in Dance, Freestyle & Choreography.

Our $800 all-inclusive package includes:

• Opening Social
  • 40 On-Ice clinics
  • 5 Off-Ice classes
  • 2 Twilight Sessions
  • Performance Exhibition on the beautiful outdoor rink under our dazzling lights
  • 55 Freestyle/Dance sessions
  • 19 General Sessions
* Fee includes over 30 clinics and 20 ice sessions. Offerings subject to change.

Past presenters include Lisa Marie Allen, Judy Blumberg, Ryan Bradley, Erin Reed, Kim Navarro, Brent Bommentre, Ashley Clark, Craig Heath, Jonathon Hunt, Stephanee Grosscup, Michele Monnier, Natalia Zaitseva, Anita Hartshorn, and Frank Sweiding.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Not me looking up flights to the US for August, or thinking how I'll visit my family in WA next summer and squeeze in a trip to CO to skate....😂😂😂