Curling | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Curling

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thrilled about this Miracurl on ice!! :yahoo:

I know nothing about curling but I've watched little pieces since 1998 :slink:

Ross74

Medalist
Well I'm thrilled for the US men, but boy that Swedish team has quite the collection of hotties. I'm surprised the ice didn't melt!

I'm enjoying this right now on NBCSN. :biggrin:

They're currently showing the gold medal match if anyone is interested.

thoakun

Final Flight
So I've discovered that team Japan's coach is a Canadian, referred by Japanese social media as "handsome coach" :biggrin:. He had been an up and coming curling coach in Alberta for a while, then became a coach for Japan since Hokkaido (hometown to many successful curlers in Japan) and Alberta are sister towns. Japan wants not only to up their competitiveness on the international stage, but also to develop some depth, like in Canada with 15 comparable teams or so.

Good for Japan's bronze. I see shades of Kaori in them: extremely determined but they also looked like they enjoyed the game.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
BTW, I love all the memes of the U.S. Skip as Super Mario. Those make me giggle.

Congrats to the US on their first curling Gold. I hope the tv coverage curling got this Olympics continues to grow the sport.

GGFan

Record Breaker
BTW, I love all the memes of the U.S. Skip as Super Mario. Those make me giggle.

Congrats to the US on their first curling Gold. I hope the tv coverage curling got this Olympics continues to grow the sport.

Within the course of this one match I learned curling. All of these years and I never truly learned the rules. The gold effect :laugh2:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Well I'm thrilled for the US men, but boy that Swedish team has quite the collection of hotties. I'm surprised the ice didn't melt!

Was it bad that I was low-key hoping that NBCSN would bring on the Swedes for an interview too?

They looked pissed on the medal stand--which only made them look hotter :dev2:

On a more serious note: I really enjoy this curling culture. It's part sport/part social occasion. It's nice to see some diversity in all of these sporting cultures. We're very used to the major sports in the U.S.

ETA: I'll just leave this here :love:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't even watch curling (sorry but I think it's horribly boring) but for some reason woke up literally right as they won the gold. Very happy for them.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Was it bad that I was low-key hoping that NBCSN would bring on the Swedes for an interview too?

They looked pissed on the medal stand--which only made them look hotter :dev2:

On a more serious note: I really enjoy this curling culture. It's part sport/part social occasion. It's nice to see some diversity in all of these sporting cultures. We're very used to the major sports in the U.S.

ETA: I'll just leave this here :love:

LOL, they were interviewed on Swedish TV right now. They are very disappointed... 'if only we had handled this stone like that' etc...already talking about Beijing olympics... and the next after that.... All of them want to continue. So good luck in future!

Congrats to USA! Was their gold a BIG surprise?

GGFan

Record Breaker
LOL, they were interviewed on Swedish TV right now. They are very disappointed... 'if only we had handled this stone like that' etc...already talking about Beijing olympics... and the next after that.... All of them want to continue. So good luck in future!

Congrats to USA! Was their gold a BIG surprise?

Huge surprise. That was part of what made the story work: they were the Cinderella team. NBC kept telling us about how Shuster was kicked out of the program after a horrible performance in Sochi.

The fact like they all look like guys who hang out at a bar consistently only helps :biggrin:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Huge surprise. That was part of what made the story work: they were the Cinderella team. NBC kept telling us about how Shuster was kicked out of the program after a horrible performance in Sochi.

The fact like they all look like guys who hang out at a bar consistently only helps :biggrin:

Like: 'Is this really a sport? I can do that too'. :laugh:

Tigerlily87

On the Ice

Meh, John Morris and his partner looked pretty fit. Then again, he is a fire fighter

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They had actually been so far back (0-7 or something) they had to run the table and win every single match going forward, and they did. I would be like Nathan Chen coming in last in SP and then winning the Gold medal. Some hockey? player tweeted that none of them would ever have to buy a drink in Wisconsin ever again.

As far as hanging out drinking beer, they had the US curling team on for an interview and apparently it isn't unusual for both teams to have a beer after the match, no matter who wins. This may be the sport for me!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So the NY Times Magazine did a super cute piece about the Tampa Bay Curling Club, it really gave me insight on why people love the sport so much.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/30/magazine/winter-olympics-tampa-curling.html

I read this a few weeks ago and then seeing the sense of community during the OGM game really confirmed what was written in this article. And yeah, I like idea of post-match beers. :biggrin:

Also, it is cute that Jason Brown, ever the lover of Olympic sports, tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/967335669386248192

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Yes, it's tragic. But both teams were wonderful and gave viewers a game that was very thrilling and enjoyable. Hope that more Asian countries will step up to popularize the sport in the region.

Asia took two of the medals, and China looks like a formidable foe as well, so it will take a lot of work for another Asian country to crack into the top level.

A little unfortunate that Japan's bronze only came about as a result of the GB skip's horrible final shot, but I'll take what I can get!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
ngl I feel bummed about South Korea's team getting the silver but damn...their story is ever so inspiring

let's go for gold in Beijing then!