Currently Reading | Golden Skate

Currently Reading

LRK

Record Breaker
This is a thread for people to post about or discuss what they are currently reading.

I myself will, sadly, probably not post here as much as I would like, considering my eye issues have taken my reading speed down to a crawl (this is also why I don't post much on the forum in general), but I thought I could start the thread anyway, for other forum members to use, if they so wish.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'll kick off by mentioning my current read: "The Stones of Venice" by John Ruskin.

This is a Victorian classic about Venetian archtecture & history. I'm only a few chapters in so far, and it is going to take me quite the while to finish. At present the fact that this is certainly not a page-turner might actually be something of a relief, odd as that may sound. Because of my eye issues, I can only manage a few pages a day (at best), and so it would probably be rather frustrating to read something too exciting... or, at any rate, so I tell myself. ;)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a thread for people to post about or discuss what they are currently reading.

I myself will, sadly, probably not post here as much as I would like, considering my eye issues have taken my reading speed down to a crawl (this is also why I don't post much on the forum in general), but I thought I could start the thread anyway, for other forum members to use, if they so wish.
I'm so sorry to hear about your eye issues. It sounds like you're getting them treated, I hope that's the case and I hope that you get better soon. Sometimes rest can work wonders, I really hope that will be the case for you. Let us know. thanks for creating this thread. :)

I've recently read the book about the groundbreaking NYT story, "She Said," by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey. Twice. The second time, I read it more slowly, and found I'd missed some subtle points that were interesting to me.

First, I watched the movie on Prime, which I really recommend. Carey Mulligan is riveting to watch, while Zoe Kazan is breathtaking, as her compassionate listening shows how silence and waiting can be proactive. Their roles reflect the division of their roles in the investigation, which worked well.

In the book, Kantor & Twohey relate a story about Ashley Judd's journey. While she was earning her master's degree at Harvard, a professor gave an example of the bonobos, a tribe of apes whose females have evolved a way of dealing with aggressive and unwanted sexual behavior from males. A female utters a special cry if she's being aggressively targeted, and other females will come rushing to her defense, and together they'll force the offending male away.

The book shows how Kantor & Twohey's NYT article of Oct. 5, 2017 empowered women everywhere to speak. But it's the journey to get there that's also riveting. How it was partly the shame and blame felt by the women who suffered Weinstein's attacks that kept them -- for so long, 25-30 years -- from speaking out. (of course, there's relevance here to the figure skating scandal.)

Despite the fact that we know how the story ends, the movie and the book give us an experience of the suspense. The story had been tried before, and TPTB always had prevented it from being published. They also give credit to Ronan Farrow's story.

Highly recommended -- Five stars out of five! :cheer::bsplit::rock:

yesterday

Record Breaker

Hi! Sad to hear, but have you tried audiobooks and perhaps some speech-to-text helper for longer posts? (also auditive reading help for long post from others?)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am soon to get my first ever reading glasses after cataract surgery (which was aMAZing, I have worn thick and strong glasses since I was a teenager and now, I can drive etc without anything except sunnies.) And I have already added - while waiting - to my daunting TBR pile...

Anyone else read books by the British nature/landscape/language writer Robert Macfarlane? If not, I can recommend pretty much everything I have, he has an amazing lyrical gift for language that makes you think...

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :) (I don't want to derail this thread to talk about myself- thanks for contributing to it - but my current eye issues are on top of my visual disability that I was born with. I had 10% of normal eyesight on my formerly "good" eye - I'm trying to read witth my left eye, which is less than that. I've never really used that eye before - my right eye is getting better, I think, but it's very slow, and I'm trying to use it sparingly. We'll see - hope springs eternal and all that. :) )

So, I did finally finish and am now onto:

Harry Kullman: "På jakt efter vilda västern" (In search of the Wild West)

This is an older Swedish book that I came across at the library. I've read a few of Harry Kullman's books for children/young people in the past, and looking for what the library had by him, this was what I found. I'm primarily a fiction-reader, so reeading any non-fiction is unusual for me - reading two in a row is almost unprecedented... but it just happened so thiss time. I'm enjoying it so far, although the type is rather on the small side, but I'm nothing if not stubborn.

(Oh, regarding audio books. I think audio books are a great thing, and I've provided my husband with some as he drives a lot - being a taxi driver - so I've nothing but good things to say about them. For me personally though... I have tried them in the past, and... I just can't. I really can't. I'm a very irritable creature, and they just drive me round the bend. I wish this wasn't the case, but, alas... Sigh. )

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've just finished:

In trad format:

Matthew Salesses' 'Craft in the Real World'. It's non-fiction that aims to break down the monomyth of the craft of writing via Aristotle and Hemingway. I got some good insights from it. I also was affirmed in my conviction that Hemingway has a lot to answer for.

On-line: currently reading for pleasure and want to finish:

Cocytus. I adore this book. It's a horror set in 1860, during the Antarctica voyages of exploration with a second storyline unfolding back in London, LGBTQ rep. Great writing, unusual plot and so gripping that I read it despite avoiding horror like a plague. Like, it makes me wish I had more time to read to finish it.

LRK

Record Breaker
Pär Lagerkvist: "Dvärgen" ("The Dwarf")

This has been translated into English, but I'm reading it in the original Swedish, so cannot vouch for it.

'Tis historical fiction set in Renaissance Italy. I'm only a couple of pages in so far, so we'll see. I've read two books by Lagerkvist before, and of those, I liked the one based on his childhood & youth in turn-of-the-century Sweden the best.

LRK

Record Breaker
L E Modesitt: "Legacies"

The first book in a fantasy-series. I'm around 150 pages or so into it. I like that it took its time getting to know the characters and the milieu - familiarising one with the status quo, before it is changed.

I have read a handful of books by L E Modesitt before. Of those my favourites are "Magi'i of Cyador" and "Scion of Cyador" - a duology in the Recluce series, but set centuries before Recluce is established, and it's a very good entry-point for anyone who wannts to give the series a try. (Not that Recluce is one long coninuous sotry in the vein of Wheel of Time anyway, because it is not. It mostly consists of duologies or stand-alones.)

I also liked "The Soprano Sorceress", about a woman from modern-era Earth who finds herself transported to a medieval fantasy world.

Last edited:

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
was trying to read a libretto or Livret de mise en scène of a ballet Sylvia, i found a ebook with the libretto and is great know more about one of my favorites ballet

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm treating myself to a re-read of "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's a real treat ... we've watched different movie versions in recent years, and I'd quasi-forgotten how much more there is in the beginning chapters.

Also, I'm re-reading -- and highly recommend -- "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, a fantasy set somewhere in a medieval reality. It's just extraordinary. Follows 3 very young women who find ways to change their fates, and their families. The narration is amazing: it starts with one of the heroines, then adds another; after 60 pages the third. Later, the author adds back-story and suspense by folding in 3 more narrators, for a chapter at a time.

Novik combines the stories of Rumplestiltskin and The Ice Queen. She very cleverly adds elements of many other fairy tales as well.

If this teases anyone and you'd like more teasers, let me know! But the surprises are wonderful.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm treating myself to a re-read of "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's a real treat ... we've watched different movie versions in recent years, and I'd quasi-forgotten how much more there is in the beginning chapters.

Also, I'm re-reading -- and highly recommend -- "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik, a fantasy set somewhere in a medieval reality. It's just extraordinary. Follows 3 very young women who find ways to change their fates, and their families. The narration is amazing: it starts with one of the heroines, then adds another; after 60 pages the third. Later, the author adds back-story and suspense by folding in 3 more narrators, for a chapter at a time.

Novik combines the stories of Rumplestiltskin and The Ice Queen. She very cleverly adds elements of many other fairy tales as well.

If this teases anyone and you'd like more teasers, let me know! But the surprises are wonderful.

"Pride and Prejudice" is one of my Absolute Favourite books - I adore it. :)

As for adaptations I prefer the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle TV-series. I caught a little of the Kiera Knightly/Matthew Macfadyen film on the telly once - one moment Mr Collins was proposing - the next there was a ball... it moved quite disconcertinglly quickly it felt to me.;) By the way, have you seen the Lawrence Olivier/Greer Garson adaptation? Everybody clad incongruously in 1830s rather than Regency garb... :)

"Spinning Silver" definitely sounds like something I'd like to read - I do own "Temeraire" by her, it's on my Reading List (this is an actual list), but when I'll get to it, I cannot say. (I'm just a taaad behindhand - for instance, I bought "Legacies" in - ahem! - 2006.... )

LRK

Record Breaker
Joy Reed: "Mr Jeffries and the Jilt"

Sometimes what I want is the literary equivalent of a pastry. Something light, fluffy and - preferably - pleasant.

Obviously, some pastries are better than others, but still.

Some time ago (well around twenty years ago or so - my, does time fly!)) I bought a lot of books published by the Traditional Regency lines of Zebra and Signet - before they both went defunct. I then proceeded to distribute them all over my Reading List - I like variety in my reading, and don't want to read just one type of book. I'm anything but a binger.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Tracy & Laura Hickman: "Mystic Quest"

This is the second book in a fantasy trilogy. I'm a little more than halfway through, and, so far, I do believe I like this more than the first book ("Mystic Warrior"") - and I did like the first book.

I have read several of the books Tracy Hickman wrote with Margaret Weis - of those, the Dragonlance books are not my favourites, but rather the Death Gate series. Long ago two powerful races fought, and the victors imprisoned the losing side in a labyrinth. They then divided the world into four worlds, each based around a different element. The first four books primarily take place in each world in succession - "Dragon Wing" (Air), "Elven Star" (Earth),"Fire Sea" (er... ) and "Serpent Mage" (Water). In the three last books these stories start to intersect.

I also liked the Darksword books, beginning with "Forging the Darksword".

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
First I commiserate about limited vision LRK.. amazing how well we manage to do the reading we love

Currently rereading two books, first a set of short stories by Ellen Gilchrist “Light Can Be Both Wave and Particle”.

“Prince Ombra” by Roderick MacLeish. I have reread it over and over through the years, my old copy gently worn .. a story of the thousand and first duel against the lord of evil - author of all misery, cruelty, despair, fought in modern times in a town on the coast of Maine, its hero a small boy and the little girl who is his rememberer. Chapter One has, arguably, the very best opening lines I have ever read.

Lastly I have just ordered and cannot wait to read “Three Bags Full”, by Leonie Swann. Originally written in German, I got it in English.. a detective story where the sleuths are sheep who join forces to track down a murderer who killed their beloved shepard .🫣

EDT: My nephew’s wife recommended “Spinning Silver” and others .. it is wonderful!

Also rereading the 4th book in LeGuin’s Earthsea chronicles , “Tehanu”, which takes the main characters into their twilight years and includes the title character, a little girl born into horrific circumstances with very special gifts. To me Prince Ombra and Tehanu are the supreme bookends of my life, both with children at their center. They are not easy reads but are challenging and beautifully rewarding.

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Pride and Prejudice" is one of my Absolute Favourite books - I adore it. :)

As for adaptations I prefer the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle TV-series. I caught a little of the Kiera Knightly/Matthew Macfadyen film on the telly once - one moment Mr Collins was proposing - the next there was a ball... it moved quite disconcertinglly quickly it felt to me.;) By the way, have you seen the Lawrence Olivier/Greer Garson adaptation? Everybody clad incongruously in 1830s rather than Regency garb... :)
After a few seconds, I absolutely refused to watch the Garson/Olivier version. It was the acting I objected to probably as much as the wrong-period wardrobe.

I can understand how, if your favorite adaptation is a 6-hour experience of P&P, that the Joseph Wright, director/Knightley/Macfadyen version might seem abrupt. But it is my favorite. Analyzing my reaction, I think it's because the shots, the acting, the music and the transitions all pull me in emotionally in such a powerful way. Do try it sometime, from the beginning!

"Spinning Silver" definitely sounds like something I'd like to read - I do own "Temeraire" by her, it's on my Reading List (this is an actual list), but when I'll get to it, I cannot say. (I'm just a taaa
Since I'm such a huge fan of Spinning Silver, I tried Temeraire and also "Uprooted." Couldn't even get into the 1st, and only fast-forwarded through to the end of "Uprooted" because my husband and I were reading it together. It's strange!

here's a capsule review of Spinning Silver I like:

"This gorgeous, complex, and magical novel...rises well above a mere modern re-imagining of classic tales...Novik probes the edges between the everyday and the extraordinary, balancing moods of wonder and of inevitability. Her work inspires deep musings about love, wealth, and commitment, and embodies the best of the timeless fairy-tale aesthetic...This is the kind of book that one might wish to inhabit forever -- Publishers Weekly, Starred Review"

That last bit is exactly how I feel ... I just want to Be In That World. It's so magical, and such a staggeringly different voice and style.

Miryem is the initial heroine, and she's wonderful, as is Wanda, the third teen-age heroine -- but my favorite of the 3 is Irina, whose great-grandfather was a Staryk and therefore gave her a little Staryk (Ice Princess) blood.

If you read this book, I'd love to discuss it with you and @elbkup ... and anyone else who's intrigued! Could we schedule a month or two for in-depth discussion of it, after World Championships and before August? We could draw it out. There's so much I'd love to discuss. I led "live" book discussion groups, 3 in all, for a period of ten or more years, and I miss it now that I've moved to Winter Wonderland. ("The Snow Queen" was a fairy tale that scared me the most when I was a child!)

Any takers? I'd love to create a space where we could exchange ideas about such a complex book.

@elbkup:
"EDT: My nephew’s wife recommended “Spinning Silver” and others .. it is wonderful!"

Last edited: