Daniil Gleikhengauz's programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Daniil Gleikhengauz's programs

madison

Record Breaker
Yep, and he would probably fit their mindset.
Because honestly, one of the reasons Daniil is doing so well there is that he is more CoP and less 6.0 due to his age. Most of his own skating career was under CoP already, for instance.

Overall, I don't think they need another choreographer for the moment... things might change once the other ice rink will be opened, I suppose.
This doesn't mean that they cannot work with outside choreographers though, on specific cases... for example, if they want to make a flamenco programme or a Bollywood one, or one of the skaters wants to work with someone else...

Fluture

Record Breaker
I like Daniil‘s as a choreographer. Sure, he isn‘t perfect and I criticize a lot of programs he‘s made. But what we have to remember is that he essentially does all the programs of Team Eteri. That‘s the 3 uber juniors, Alina, Kamila and Daria and the others who aren‘t junior eligible and the boys in the group, too. That‘s a lot of programs to make and I feel it could be too much for one person. Sometimes you just don‘t have a lot of inspiration, so maybe it would be better if he had someone to split the work with. Averbukh made Zhenya‘s programs, maybe he‘ll work with one of the juniors once they turn senior? Or someone else.

But honestly, Daniil has created some masterpieces.

-Tarakanova‘s SP and FS last season were stunning
-Alena Kostornaya‘s FP
-Anna Shcherbakova‘s FP last season
-Alena Kostornaya‘s SP this season
-Kamila Valieva‘s SP this season

Alina‘s DQ and Black Swan were perfect Olympic programs but I don‘t know how much Eteri contributed to them so it‘s probably more of a shared work. Anna Karenina was so exceptional because of Zhenya‘s interpretation and the heart she put into skating it. Overall, it wasn‘t too special. Alena‘s Romeo and Juliet isn‘t as bad as some declare it to be but it‘s mostly due to Alena‘s skating that it comes off as okay. The music cuts are really terrible. He also has a tendency to clutter his programs, they‘re totally busy and sometimes he should slow down a bit. Sometimes less is more and I wish he‘d think of that sometimes while creating a program.

So, yes, I think Daniil has made some programs that were simply... not good at all. He’s also very young and doesn’t have the experience yet choreographer have that have been working in the field for years. But what I like about him is that his programs seem to fit a skater‘s personality. Tarakanova (last season), Shcherbakova, Kostornaya and Trusova all have programs that seem to fit them perfectly. They‘re unique.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Overall I think Daniil is a very good choreographer considering how young he is and I suspect he may become really great with time. I know the Don Q program started as Eteri’s program and was recycled from Zhenya, correct? But I think Daniil improved upon it for Alina.
Alina has used Evgenia' dress. But Evgenia has never skated to DQ. She had a different program with that red dress.
Eteri always has some ideas about music and programs. and then they decided what is the best fit for each girl.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Alina has used Evgenia' dress. But Evgenia has never skated to DQ. She had a different program with that red dress.
Eteri always has some ideas about music and programs. and then they decided what is the best fit for each girl.
Yulia skated to DQ at some point she was with Eteri, correct?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I like him as a choreographer: considering what you have in Russia, he's one of the better ones there.

Although because it's all "homemade", for better or worse you don't always know how much of these programs are influenced by the rest of the coaching team (the same could be said for programs made by David Wilson for Orser students or Tatiana Prokofieva for Mishin), or even by his mom who is also a choreographer.

List of programs he choreographed that i like in random order:

- Polina Tsurskaya 2015-16 SP (spanish Adagio)
- Polina Tsurskaya 16-17 / 17-18 SP (Game of Thrones)
- Adian Pitkeev 2015-16 SP (Adagio)
- Daria Panenkova 2016-17 SP (Sad Piano - Nostalgia with russian voices i guess from a film)
- Anna Shcherbakova 2015-16 SP (Sikuriadas)
- Anna Shcherbakova 2016-17 FP (Dreamcatcher)
- Anna Shcherbakova 2017-18 SP (Nocturne)
- Anna Shcherbakova 2018-19 SP (A comme amour)
- Anna Shcherbakova 2018-19 FP (Rondo Capriccioso)
- Ilia Skirda 2016-17 SP (Mr. Bojangles)
- Anastasia Tarakanova 2017-18 FP (Sarabande Suite)
- Alena Kostornaya 2017-18 FP (Stella's Theme)
- Alena Kostornaya 2017-18 SP (Adios Nonino)
- Evgenia Medvedeva 2017-18 FP (Anna Karenina)
- Alina Zagitova 16-17 SP (Samson & Delilah)
- Alexey Erokhov 17-18 SP (Lighthouse)
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva 2018-19 SP (Moonlight Sonata)
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva 2018-19 FP (Otono Porteno)
- Kamila Valieva 2018-19 SP (don't know the music, pls tell me)

My top 3:
- Dreamcatcher
- Nocturne
- Adagio

All programs he made for Shcherbakova and the two for Kostornaya from last season are some of his best works.

I like the programs he choreographed for Elizabet Tursynbaeva this season a lot, i think they suit her style.

mishbyng

Spectator
Alena Kostornaya: Adios Nonino SP, Stella's Theme FS and Angel SP

Trusova: Four Seasons FS, Kill Bill, and The Fifth Element

Anna Shcherbakova's 2018-19 SP and FS, Chopin SP

Alina Zagitova's 2016-17's SP, Black Swan SP and Don Quixote FS.

Kamila Valieva: Girl on Ball SP

Evgenia Medvedeva: Anna Karenina FS

madison

Record Breaker
I revised my opinion about Daniil as a choreographer since we actually do not know what his contribution and input to the programs are and what contribution Eteri has. It seems that she is a major factor in making the programs.

lappo

Final Flight
Don't know if it has already been posted but in this interview, made last year before the Olympics, Daniil speaks also about his programs and the creative process (among other stuff): http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2018gleichengauz
My opinion is that, as most choreographers who have to produce lots of work every year, not all of them are going to turn memorable. That said, and considering how young he is, I think he is doing a fine job, especially in selecting programs that suits the girls personalities (see how different are Sasha's programs from Alena's or Anna's). I also command some of his most unusual music choices and I hope to see more of those and less warhorses in the upcoming seasons.