Edea pianos for a beginner skater? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Edea pianos for a beginner skater?

sofiaskates101

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new skater weighing 60kgs (132lbs) and I'm working on singles (already have sal, toeloop and waltz). I'm considering switching to edea pianos, as they look so cool; and, I want a pair of skates that would last a long, long time. I currently skate in edea overtures.

I've heard you can't overboot in edea, because all the bend comes from the tounge, however, I don't know whether it's a good option for me. BUT, I really really really really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY want them.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks in advance :>
OKAY EVERYONE, I'VE MADE MY DECISION:

I will most likely get pianos then put them in a display shelf to look at, I'll skate in my overtures til they're ready to be replaced then I might get chorus to skate in :>

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

I will most likely get pianos then put them in a display shelf to look at, I'll skate in my overtures til they're ready to be replaced then I might get chorus to skate in :>
They're absolutely gorgeous skates, I'm sure they will look so beautiful decorating your room. You could put blade that you don't use anymore on them to complete the look! :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I'm happy you've made a sensible decision. As long as you have the money, you can satisfy both your wants and your needs (assuming you get fitted for the proper make and model boots to skate in). Position the Pianos by your bed, so you can gaze upon them as you drift off to sleep ... sweet dreams.

TQB

Rinkside
Pianos are a bit much. I had Chorus initially (rated for my skill level) and was constantly trying to adjust or tighten them. I was fighting them, hard. I felt similarly about Ice Fly as you do about Piano, except I have many adult skater friends who skate in them who love them. I wound up finding a good deal on a barely used pair and they turned out to be perfect for me. I will say, I skated as a kid and was always somewhat overbooted, so for me, what I learned was that I like really stiff boots. But I definitely agree with whomever noted that if you can afford $1000 skates, you could have customs. Also, know that putting that money into ice time and lessons is ultimately better for your skating.

I think you can see from the responses that overbooting yourself will get you some funny looks. If you don't care, they make you happy, AND THEY FIT CORRECTLY, eh, who cares?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Pianos are a bit much. I had Chorus initially (rated for my skill level) and was constantly trying to adjust or tighten them. I was fighting them, hard. I felt similarly about Ice Fly as you do about Piano, except I have many adult skater friends who skate in them who love them. I wound up finding a good deal on a barely used pair and they turned out to be perfect for me. I will say, I skated as a kid and was always somewhat overbooted, so for me, what I learned was that I like really stiff boots. But I definitely agree with whomever noted that if you can afford $1000 skates, you could have customs. Also, know that putting that money into ice time and lessons is ultimately better for your skating.

I think you can see from the responses that overbooting yourself will get you some funny looks. If you don't care, they make you happy, AND THEY FIT CORRECTLY, eh, who cares?
Overbooting can do more than funny looks - it can get you a serious injury

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

The OP announced that she's made a sane, rational decision that (a) satisfies both her wants and needs and (2) obviates increased risk of injury caused by severe overbooting:

So, are you trying to persuade her to reverse her decision?

TQB

Rinkside
The OP announced that she's made a sane, rational decision that (a) satisfies both her wants and needs and (2) obviates increased risk of injury caused by severe overbooting:

So, are you trying to persuade her to reverse her decision?
Are you calling putting $1000 skates on a shelf to admire a sane and rational decision?

I offered my personal experience, which is that many people advised me that I was "overbooting" in Ice Flys, and in fact they are great and my skating improved dramatically when I upgraded to them. Plenty of people made the comment that there might be a risk of injury. My feedback that this was not my experience is just as relevant.

Last edited:

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new skater weighing 60kgs (132lbs) and I'm working on singles (already have sal, toeloop and waltz). I'm considering switching to edea pianos, as they look so cool; and, I want a pair of skates that would last a long, long time. I currently skate in edea overtures.

I've heard you can't overboot in edea, because all the bend comes from the tounge, however, I don't know whether it's a good option for me. BUT, I really really really really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY want them.

Any thoughts or tips?

Hello! I agree with everyone else who's already given their input. While it's always nice to treat yourself to good equipment if you can afford it, new Edea Pianos would be far too stiff for someone doing just singles and would make everything much harder. The stiffest I could recommend would be a Concerto but even that may be a little on the stiff side. That being said, if you found a used pair of Pianos that have already been broken down, they may work fine for singles and through learning axel. The only issue is that they would not be fit to your foot properly and a skilled technician would have to make sure they are adequately shaped to your foot with a heat gun (Edeas aren't baked in the skate ovens). But your best bet would be Chorus of Overture for your level. Hope this information helps :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are you calling putting $1000 skates on a shelf to admire a sane and rational decision?
In this instance, yes. The OP values the Pianos for their aesthetics, not for their function. And she feels compelled to buy them because she wants them, not because she needs them. So, yes, it is a sane and rational decision for her to prize them as objet d'art, not as figure skating gear. By buying a separate, more suitable pair of boots to actually skate on, she also gets what she needs. This way, she gets both what she wants and what she needs, all without unnecessary risk of injury. I have a feeling that a beat-up pair of used Pianos will not fulfill the aesthetic joy and the pride of ownership that she seeks.

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
In this instance, yes. The OP values the Pianos for their aesthetics, not for their function. And she feels compelled to buy them because she wants them, not because she needs them. So, yes, it is a sane and rational decision for her to prize them as objet d'art, not as figure skating gear. By buying a separate, more suitable pair of boots to actually skate on, she also gets what she needs. This way, she gets both what she wants and what she needs, all without unnecessary risk of injury. I have a feeling that a beat-up pair of used Pianos will not fulfill the aesthetic joy and the pride of ownership that she seeks.
Wholeheartedly agree! People buy objects they like, pieces of art which cost way, way, WAAAAAAY more than USD1000 which seems quite a reasonable/feasible price to pay for an object that we like and makes us happy.
I personally think the Piano are gorgeous skates, at this time I have no intention of wearing them myself (my concertos serve me well and next upgrade will be probably Ice Flys), so the owner of this thread actually gave me a great idea. Purchase the Pianos, put on them blades I don’t wear any longer and make these beautiful skates a decoration for my room.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts or tips?

Noooooo :( please dont waste $1000 for skates that arent meant for ur level! like others said, the edea piano boot is made for triples and quads and for a beginner skater whos working on singles edea pianos will not work for u

honosuke

Spectator
If you got the piano boots in your hands.

I suppose an adult male skater could get along with piano. Unlike child skaters, the force of your leg could bend the ankle of the boot.

They have the potential to make your skating more enjoyable. I know that a stiffer boot has a more comfortable liner and a more quicker response to my forces. I have a hard time with them during warm ups though.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
If you got the piano boots in your hands.

I suppose an adult male skater could get along with piano. Unlike child skaters, the force of your leg could bend the ankle of the boot.

They have the potential to make your skating more enjoyable. I know that a stiffer boot has a more comfortable liner and a more quicker response to my forces. I have a hard time with them during warm ups though.
That's what the Piano wearers at my rink say (mostly men, one female only). None of them does triples/quads, but they say they skate more comfortably in the stiffest of boots.
The triple jumpers, interestingly enough, all wear Ice Flys (adults and kids).
I can only jump one double and all the singles, have paused my jump practice until I heal an injury and I'm fine with Concerto (not a fan of anything less stiff, but coaches & I agree that at this moment I don't need more stiffness either).

This is only mere observation, not meant to "convince/proselytize" anyone into purchasing stiff boots that are not for them. It'd be foolish since I'm not professional, just someone very interested in the sport I practice, but in the end I only know about myself and what the professionals who supervise my sport life say is good for *me* and allow.

lucyskates

Rinkside
okay I barely ever say anything on these forums but please do NOT get pianos.
it’s a ridiculous amount of money and they’re way above your level. they’ll be so stiff you’ll barely be able to skate in them, you might even injure yourself.

there’s ONE person at my rink who wears pianos and he jumps triples about five days a week.

also, please don’t get pianos just to sit in your bedroom to look at. it’s an insane waste of money for something you’re not going to realistically ever use.

it took me months to save up for my skates (and they’re nowhere near as much as pianos!), taking on loads of extra shifts at work. I just don’t get why you’d throw away money on something to not use.

someone said that people buy art to look at - it’s not the same thing! skates are meant to be skated in, not put on a shelf!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
also, please don’t get pianos just to sit in your bedroom to look at. it’s an insane waste of money for something you’re not going to realistically ever use.

it took me months to save up for my skates (and they’re nowhere near as much as pianos!), taking on loads of extra shifts at work. I just don’t get why you’d throw away money on something to not use.

How you choose to spend your money is entirely your choice. How the OP chooses to spend her money is entirely her choice. We all have different available funds. We all have different values.

someone said that people buy art to look at - it’s not the same thing! skates are meant to be skated in, not put on a shelf!

It's not that unusual for people to buy utilitarian items, never use them, and treat them as art.

For example, there are special-edition, limited-run hunting knives costing over $1000. Super-steel alloy blades with exotic handles. Beautifully finished. Often they are never deployed in the field; often they are never used to cut anything. For a few hundred bucks more, you can buy custom display cases to store them in.

As another example, pricey mechanical wrist watches (some $100,000+) have become trendy among the très chic set. These are designed with an auto-winding mechanism wherein when they are worn on a wrist, the motion of the wrist winds the watch. But many of these watches are never worn to serve as timepieces. So for additional bucks, the owner can buy a programmable, motorized display case that periodically rocks a watch to keep it wound while it's sitting on a dresser.

I could go on with even more examples.

For the OP, there are 3 options: (A) Don't buy the Pianos; (B) Buy them and skate on them; or (C) Buy them and put them on display. From the OP's posts, it's obvious that Option (A) is not acceptable to her: she must have them, she will buy them. So what is the better remaining option for her: (B) or (C)?

yesterday

Record Breaker
How you choose to spend your money is entirely your choice. How the OP chooses to spend her money is entirely her choice. We all have different available funds. We all have different values.

It's not that unusual for people to buy utilitarian items, never use them, and treat them as art.

For example, there are special-edition, limited-run hunting knives costing over $1000. Super-steel alloy blades with exotic handles. Beautifully finished. Often they are never deployed in the field; often they are never used to cut anything. For a few hundred bucks more, you can buy custom display cases to store them in.

As another example, pricey mechanical wrist watches (some $100,000+) have become trendy among the très chic set. These are designed with an auto-winding mechanism wherein when they are worn on a wrist, the motion of the wrist winds the watch. But many of these watches are never worn to serve as timepieces. So for additional bucks, the owner can buy a programmable, motorized display case that periodically rocks a watch to keep it wound while it's sitting on a dresser.

For the OP, there are 3 options: (A) Don't buy the Pianos; (B) Buy them and skate on them; or (C) Buy them and put them on display. From the OP's posts, it's obvious that Option (A) is not acceptable to her: she must have them, she will buy them. So what is the better remaining option for her: (B) or (C)?

and for the nerds here:
Action figures, only worth a lot of money when not used, with intact original packaging. (Same for other packaged items like games or things already in a display like trading cards, certain coins or whatever).
scnr :D

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

Exactly. Not everyone has the same income and how they spend it and what they buy is no one's business.

And exactly again. Not long ago my husband and I visited a castle in another prefecture here and then an antique shop selling objects such as houseware, weaponry & armor hats from that era which price could buy many, many Piano skates.
Nobody will go around wearing an armor hat like, not even in combat now, but they're gorgeous objects to look at and be displayed if someone wishes to do so.
I know people who have grand pianos in their living rooms. Nobody plays the piano. However they're beautiful and look beautiful in their living room.
Live and let live.
The lady wanted to skate with the Pianos, sought advice, was told it's not such a good idea, but since they're so beautiful and she wants them, she can buy them and use them as decoration, which she thought is a good idea. Success!

sofiaskates101

Spectator
okay I barely ever say anything on these forums but please do NOT get pianos.
it’s a ridiculous amount of money and they’re way above your level. they’ll be so stiff you’ll barely be able to skate in them, you might even injure yourself.

there’s ONE person at my rink who wears pianos and he jumps triples about five days a week.

I 100% see where you’re coming from, however financially speaking pianos aren’t an issue for me, and I really want them; maybe I’ll reach a higher level some day and since my feet have stopped growing, I might use them in the future, who knows