Eurosport Updates | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I haven't seen any ice Dance SD show up in the archives at all, and I was hoping to rewatch a few short dances. I can look them up elsewhere, of course, but this is easier. I just don't understand why the stream isn't there?

Haven't checked if it is the same with other countries, but British Eurosport 2 are repeating the highlights programmes of the Olympic Ice Dance today:

British Eurosport (All times GMT)

Wednesday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018
BES2 12:30 – 13:30 Short Dance Highlights
BES2 13:30 – 14:30 Free Dance Highlights

I've set the timer correctly this time!

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
I've been trying to figure out what's to expect next week from Eurosport with the horrible coverage of Olympics still too fresh in my mind. Alas, it does not look like any live coverage of ladies or men SPs, some live coverage in the evenings (Pairs /Dance?) but not in the mornings (really the logic?!).
I wonder if BBC Red Button will cover any I seem to remember watching Mens LP in full last year...

Miller

Final Flight
I've been trying to figure out what's to expect next week from Eurosport with the horrible coverage of Olympics still too fresh in my mind. Alas, it does not look like any live coverage of ladies or men SPs, some live coverage in the evenings (Pairs /Dance?) but not in the mornings (really the logic?!).
I wonder if BBC Red Button will cover any I seem to remember watching Mens LP in full last year...

Just been having a look and doesn't look too bad, though surprising about Ladies Short, no other live action that time of day on the Wednesday. So far appears to be...

Weds - ladies short highlights 5.30 - 7.00 p.m. (UK time)
pairs short live 7.00 - 10 p.m.

Thurs - mens short highlights 4.30 - 6.00 p.m.
pairs free live 6.00 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Fri - dance short highlights 4.30 p.m. - 5 .30 p.m
ladies free live 5.30 p.m. - 9.30 p.m

Sat - mens free live 10.15 - 1.15 p.m.
free dance 2.15 p.m. - 6.15 p.m.

All told pretty good, especially on Saturday as other live sport often impinges. Of course we're still a week away and a lot can change in that time, but so far pretty good and doesn't look as if there's a lot of other live sport that could get in the way such as snooker.

russell30

Final Flight
Just been having a look and doesn't look too bad, though surprising about Ladies Short, no other live action that time of day on the Wednesday. So far appears to be...

All told pretty good, especially on Saturday as other live sport often impinges. Of course we're still a week away and a lot can change in that time, but so far pretty good and doesn't look as if there's a lot of other live sport that could get in the way such as snooker.

Yes so far good news!!!! - For Live of the SP's or SD's might have to watch the streams if there is any?? if not don't mind the highlights on Euro gives me a chance to do my stuff during the day and relax in the evening with a glass of wine or 2 and watch the skating - start of a new 4 year cycle guys!!

Tutto

Record Breaker

Same with Mens SP whats there in the morning that they can't show it live but do the reply in the prime time? We have to wait for an expert opinion of Caroliza_fan on this!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
These World Championships have come around a lot quicker than I anticipated. I haven't had a chance to even look near the schedules yet. :eek:

Yes so far good news!!!! - For Live of the SP's or SD's might have to watch the streams if there is any?? if not don't mind the highlights on Euro gives me a chance to do my stuff during the day and relax in the evening with a glass of wine or 2 and watch the skating - start of a new 4 year cycle guys!!

Same with Mens SP whats there in the morning that they can't show it live but do the reply in the prime time? We have to wait for an expert opinion of Caroliza_fan on this!

I can't check British Eurosport's schedules just yet, as I am watching something on the German version of the Eurosport Player at the moment.

But, I can tell you that ESP1 Deutschland are not showing the Singles SP's LIVE either. They are showing 85m of Ladies SP highlights on Wednesday at 16:15 CET on ESP1; and 90m of men's SP highlights on Thursday at 16:30 CET on ESP2.

Why? Snooker.

ITV is the host broadcaster of next week's snooker tournament and, unlike the BBC, they don't allow Eurosport to show it in the British Isles. But Eurosport are allowed to show it on the continent.

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed lots of occasions when the British ESP Player has had additional streams showing the Eurosport coverage of things that are being shown on the linear channels on continent but not in the British Isles. But, given that the continental versions are going to be showing snooker, I don't think it will happen with the skating.

But, you never know.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight

Good question! There's Biathlon clashing with the end of the men's SP so they wouldn't show this live on E2 as they'd have to cut away at the critical moment. However there's plenty of room on E1, live cycling as far as I can tell starts just after the end of the men's SP so they could show it there. Think sometimes they just think in terms of trying to get pretty much the same on all their Eurosports, and only adjust a bit for local circumstances whereas in this case they really could for the mens and ladies SPs (no hope for Short Dance BTW, that clashes with both cycling and ski-flying).

russell30

Final Flight
The snooker is the enemy of figure skating!!!!!!:dev2:

Yes they take there time playing there shots, walk around the table stop - then walk around the table stop, then walk around the table stop- then camera looks at audience - then they play there shot no wonder it overruns - and when the score is like 9-9 frames all you think good grief - is it ever going to end

:gaah: Must be the most boring sport ever along with GOLf!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Yes they take there time playing there shots, walk around the table stop - then walk around the table stop, then walk around the table stop- then camera looks at audience - then they play there shot no wonder it overruns - and when the score is like 9-9 frames all you think good grief - is it ever going to end

I resent it being called the SPORT with every fibre of my being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Yesssss! So boring! And we can read the figure skating in the TV program..and what happens? The snooker is not over and they don't finish the broadcast...Or we can read the FS but they show the snooker..This is the Hungarian Eurosport..I don't know how is in other countries..

lyverbird1

Final Flight
What did you all think of the coverage at worlds? I'm really disappointed. Catherine especially had an embarrassingly low level of knowledge about the jumps, the music choices, the skaters themselves, well damn - pretty much everything and Simon wasn't far behind. Some of the moments I remember among the litany of mistakes they both made were:

1. Catherine not being able to distinguish an axel and salchow take off (for Satoko's LP fall)
2. She referred to the Cantina Star Wars piece in the middle of Boyang's LP as "that circus-y music between the Star Wars bits"
3. Saying about Kaetlyn that it was amazing to think that prior to becoming world champion her previous best at worlds had been 8th (I think that was Simon)
4. "What a shame we didn't get to see them at Olympics", referring to Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro

I miss Chris Howarth. I think he balanced the non-expert commentary and created a good dynamic and without him or even Nicky, the non experts are lost...

serty

Rinkside
1. Catherine not being able to distinguish an axel and salchow take off (for Satoko's LP fall)
2. She referred to the Cantina Star Wars piece in the middle of Boyang's LP as "that circus-y music between the Star Wars bits"
3. Saying about Kaetlyn that it was amazing to think that prior to becoming world champion her previous best at worlds had been 8th (I think that was Simon)
4. "What a shame we didn't get to see them at Olympics", referring to Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro

5. They were perplexed when Aliev's SP score came out. They had no idea about jump repetition.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
5. They were perplexed when Aliev's SP score came out. They had no idea about jump repetition.

Aww, and after Simon made such an effort to learn what the Zayak rule was earlier this season!
I do agree they need Chris there to help them. Simon and Catherine are very nice to the skaters and easy on the ears but they're just going on whatever the planned content says and if anyone switches it up on the day they're totally stuck. And they cover so many other events they've got the memory of a goldfish when it comes to figure skating.
I prefer the 2 of them over one + Mark though.

However, all the ESP commentators are an improvement over Robin who was constantly going on and on at Olympics about underrotated jumps being called as downgraded jumps as if he had not updated his IJS knowledge since 2006. I didn't notice him mentioning it watching 2017 Worlds (if he did) but at the Olympics it was really irritating. Combined with Kat Downes being Kat Downes I almost gave up the HD coverage on my TV for the youtube stream :slink:

Miller

Final Flight
Aww, and after Simon made such an effort to learn what the Zayak rule was earlier this season!
I do agree they need Chris there to help them. Simon and Catherine are very nice to the skaters and easy on the ears but they're just going on whatever the planned content says and if anyone switches it up on the day they're totally stuck. And they cover so many other events they've got the memory of a goldfish when it comes to figure skating.
I prefer the 2 of them over one + Mark though.

However, all the ESP commentators are an improvement over Robin who was constantly going on and on at Olympics about underrotated jumps being called as downgraded jumps as if he had not updated his IJS knowledge since 2006. I didn't notice him mentioning it watching 2017 Worlds (if he did) but at the Olympics it was really irritating. Combined with Kat Downes being Kat Downes I almost gave up the HD coverage on my TV for the youtube stream :slink:

Unfortunately Catherine didn't know that under-rotated jumps get a lower base value, she was just going on about her lower GOEs, but I'd give her a break, I think she's pretty good, and if I didn't know any better would think she has some sort of figure skating background. If not she's done her homework pretty well, but knowing all the minutiae of what's gone on at previous competitions well they're pretty bad at that.

viennaskater

Medalist
What did you all think of the coverage at worlds? I'm really disappointed. Catherine especially had an embarrassingly low level of knowledge about the jumps, the music choices, the skaters themselves, well damn - pretty much everything and Simon wasn't far behind. Some of the moments I remember among the litany of mistakes they both made were:

I miss Chris Howarth. I think he balanced the non-expert commentary and created a good dynamic and without him or even Nicky, the non experts are lost...

Agree with you - she got on my nerves with her ignorance. And you are right on the button about Chris Howarth. He really enhances my viewing and manages to be unobtrusive during the performances, only commenting when REALLY necessary.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Eurosport's coverage of these World's made me realize I need Chris to balance out Simon. He's nice and all, and I appreciate him basically stanning certain skaters (even when I don't) without feeling the need to drag others (an Artform, some would say, a rare one) but yeh the more technical knowledge as well as the what's happened in previous competitions was embarrassingly low. Actually making major details like saying this or that skater never placed higher than X before when that's wrong is pretty common even when Chris is there, but this combined with them being dumbfounded by things like Aliev's repeated jump had me shook - if even I know the rule, I expect them to as well!

viennaskater

Medalist
Didn't Joanne Conway also commentate earlier in the week? I'm pretty sure she said that Zagitova 'was not doing her jumps until later so as to give herself time to settle into the programme' - or some such nonsense like that. I felt like saying loudly "It's called BACKLOADING, dear! A strategy to up the points quota! I don't think anybody did it in your day!"

Where has she been living? In a box?