Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1179 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Fluture

Record Breaker
My only fear is the tight schedule.

As for the season, my other fear is that they'll keep changing the programs frequently like last year, and that's giving me anxiety [emoji23]

Yes, the schedule worries me too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1GeixNoCeu/?igshid=13krxfe1b2s5l

Test skates end on the 8th and Autumn Classics already starts on the 12th.... And there are some practice sessions before that too. Not a whole lot of time at all, quite the contrary actually. And usually skaters use test skates to get some feedback from the fed on what to work and improve before their first international competition. That‘s not going to happen in this case. But at least she‘ll have more time between Shanghai Trophy and her first GP, which is more important than a challenger anyway. Still, challengers set the start of a season. But her and Brian must be aware of this and have thought this through or they wouldn‘t have chosen ACI.

Yeah, the layout changes last year were giving me heart attacks almost lol. I just hope they‘ll make up their minds early in the season and not switch the jump around up until Nationals or so....

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I‘m not particularly excited about ACI either, I would have preferred a calmer start to the season, higher SB possibility, less competition, not as much of a tight schedule. (But then again, with test skates and Shanghai Trophy, it would have been difficult anyway)

But remember, that‘s Zhenya we‘re talking about. She‘s not one to take it easy, just because it‘s the beginning of the season. And if we worry and I know that I, for one, do very easily, we should keep in mind that Zhenya‘s the girl who’s been training with girls stronger than her or at least on her level technically for her entire career before she moved to Orser. This was her life, day in, day out. She‘s the one watching junior test skates, yes, to compliment the new generation but also because she‘s smart and realises this will be her (main) competition for Beijing 2022. So, to all those worrying (not in her fan fest but... other places) whether Zhenya would suddenly forget about the other Russian wonderkids and just ran away from the competition - rest assured, she did not. ;) Well, short story long as in pretty much all of my posts lol, my main point is that Zhenya is not afraid of strict judging or tough competition. It wasn‘t fear of tough competition that made her have problems last season, or the strict judging. It was her having to adjust to literally everything that fell onto her shoulders after the Olympics. She seems to be in a better place mentally now, she‘s had much more time to prepare and while we still haven‘t reached the ~2 years Orser talked about and can expect some issues as she upgrades her tech, she’s certainly more comfortable with him and his methods than she was last year when she drastically changed from one system to the other. ACI will be a more difficult start to competing than she could have had but she‘ll face roughly the same field at SCI anyway, so why not just get ready for it sooner than later. And SCI will have tough scoring as well, so judges at ACI can show her what to improve and focus on in her preparation for the GP series.

Thanks for coming to my ramblings of how “ACI will be stressful for us but it might have some benefits too“ lol :)
Which one would be less competition though, with a good schedule? Yes, Rika is tough here, but there are no Russian girls. Liza is in Lombardia, US Classic is at altitude, Finlandia would be only 2 weeks before SC. Alina, Sasha and Anna will all likely have different ones (+there's Alena) and they won't go to the US, so it's likely one will be at Nepela and Nebelhorn.

Nepela is the most spread out schedule-wise, but as I've pointed out that would be almost no time at TCC to train: test skates Sept 7-8th -> back to Canada -> to Slovakia -> Nepela Sept 19-21st -> back to Canada -> to Shanghai Trophy Oct 3-5th. That would be so many time changes and so much time traveling.

Then if she did Nebelhorn, it may be just as competitive, and it would be just a week before Shanghai, which would also be tight.

Really, the best thing would have been if ACI hadn't moved a week earlier this season. If it was at the same time as Nepela, it would be perfect. Otherwise, I don't really see anything as a better option, unless she was not doing Shanghai.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
The team picked ACI on purpose. And yes, the competition will be tough and the schedule grueling, but we are talking about Zhenya here - she is one TOUGH lady :) I am not worried, but as always, I :pray: for a great season.

In other news, I cannot believe we are going to see her soon! Super exciting :yahoo:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Which one would be less competition though, with a good schedule? Yes, Rika is tough here, but there are no Russian girls. Liza is in Lombardia, US Classic is at altitude, Finlandia would be only 2 weeks before SC. Alina, Sasha and Anna will all likely have different ones (+there's Alena) and they won't go to the US, so it's likely one will be at Nepela and Nebelhorn.

Nepela is the most spread out schedule-wise, but as I've pointed out that would be almost no time at TCC to train: test skates Sept 7-8th -> back to Canada -> to Slovakia -> Nepela Sept 19-21st -> back to Canada -> to Shanghai Trophy Oct 3-5th. That would be so many time changes and so much time traveling.

Then if she did Nebelhorn, it may be just as competitive, and it would be just a week before Shanghai, which would also be tight.

Really, the best thing would have been if ACI hadn't moved a week earlier this season. If it was at the same time as Nepela, it would be perfect. Otherwise, I don't really see anything as a better option, unless she was not doing Shanghai.

True about the competition, I guess. It‘s going to be tough anywhere. I‘m probably still not used to challengers being that competitive already, before it was more of a “warm-up“ for the serious starts later on. Now, however, it’s like a GP already...

As for the schedule, I actually don‘t think it would have been much of a problem not being able to return to TCC as much. We know that CSKA will accept her to train there for a while and she likely would have got a list/plan on what issues to work on from the fed anyway after test skates. They even gave out detailed protocols for the juniors, so I‘d imagine they‘d do the same for seniors as well. She could have gone to test skates > Canada > ONT, stay in Russia, train before Shanghai Trophy (in contact with Brian and Tracy, of course) and then meet with the coaches for the competition there.

Of course, this way it‘s easier with the time changes but what worries me most is that she‘ll literally have zero time from test skates to ACI to perfect some things for her competitive start that season. And challengers are very important to build up a reputation early on, it‘s what helped Tursy and Rika last year. But I‘m sure her and the team will have thought this out carefully and they know better than we do anyway.

As for Shanghai, I‘m glad she‘s doing it because it seems like a fun event, she‘s never been to China before and they give out decent prize money as well. I heard they‘re going to do both SP and FS this year, as opposed to last time when it was FS only. Anyone knows whether that‘s correct?

NoviceFan

Medalist
True about the competition, I guess. It‘s going to be tough anywhere. I‘m probably still not used to challengers being that competitive already, before it was more of a “warm-up“ for the serious starts later on. Now, however, it’s like a GP already...

As for the schedule, I actually don‘t think it would have been much of a problem not being able to return to TCC as much. We know that CSKA will accept her to train there for a while and she likely would have got a list/plan on what issues to work on from the fed anyway after test skates. They even gave out detailed protocols for the juniors, so I‘d imagine they‘d do the same for seniors as well. She could have gone to test skates > Canada > ONT, stay in Russia, train before Shanghai Trophy (in contact with Brian and Tracy, of course) and then meet with the coaches for the competition there.

Of course, this way it‘s easier with the time changes but what worries me most is that she‘ll literally have zero time from test skates to ACI to perfect some things for her competitive start that season. And challengers are very important to build up a reputation early on, it‘s what helped Tursy and Rika last year. But I‘m sure her and the team will have thought this out carefully and they know better than we do anyway.

As for Shanghai, I‘m glad she‘s doing it because it seems like a fun event, she‘s never been to China before and they give out decent prize money as well. I heard they‘re going to do both SP and FS this year, as opposed to last time when it was FS only. Anyone knows whether that‘s correct?

SP and FS - https://www.isu.org/docman-document...1531-shanghai-trophy-2019-announcement-1/file

Fluture

Record Breaker

Shanghai Trophy is doing both SP and FP.

Thank you!! :thank:

That‘s actually great. She‘ll get the chance to show both programs in a competitive setting three times (yes, I count test skates, all the Russian girls are there and the officials and lots of the general public, they get protocols and all - which means there are scores and rankings even if unofficial) before her GP debut. This should set her up nicely, even if it‘s stressful.

Artemisa

Final Flight
when is she going to rest for the true competition?
It's good doing challengers and other competitions ... but training and rest is necessary too

melgirl25

Medalist
ACI is a little less than an hour from TCC - and that is in rush hour traffic. She may have the option to miss the first official practice and train at home if they feel it is necessary although it will suck for us because less content. :laugh:

I think Zhenya is way prepared. Remember when she changed to Tosca she went to Oakville to show her program to judges there for some feedback? Maybe they will do that again or have done so already.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
ACI is a little less than an hour from TCC - and that is in rush hour traffic. She may have the option to miss the first official practice and train at home if they feel it is necessary although it will suck for us because less content. [emoji23]

I think Zhenya is way prepared. Remember when she changed to Tosca she went to Oakville to show her program to judges there for some feedback? Maybe they will do that again or have done so already.
Hmmm I don't remember the Oakwille thing. I'm curious so can you please tell me more? ^^

melgirl25

Medalist
Hmmm I don't remember the Oakwille thing. I'm curious so can you please tell me more? ^^

Remember when there was footage of Zhenya doing a new program in Oakville before RN. People thought it was Christmas music but then a girl there said it was Tosca. She went there to do her program in front of a judge(s). Brian arranged it. That is the story I remember. :laugh:

pandatours

On the Ice
There is a small chance I will be in Shanghai for Shanghai Trophy! Lots of moving parts but tickets just went on sale two days ago so I might ask my cousin to buy tickets now and then maybe resell if I can’t go

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a small chance I will be in Shanghai for Shanghai Trophy! Lots of moving parts but tickets just went on sale two days ago so I might ask my cousin to buy tickets now and then maybe resell if I can’t go

I hope you can go. I think it will be a nice competition. You should get the tickets. It would be wonderful to have all your posts about the event too. :)

NoviceFan

Medalist

:hap10::hap10::hap10:

That would be amazing! I’m crossing my fingers for you!

pandatours

On the Ice
I think I did a brief write up about my experience at 4CC and seeing Brian and Tracy. Live skating is magical! And seeing Evgenia in person would be a dream, as would be seeing Sui/Han in person again

It’s not clear to me whether there are package deals for all sessions. There must be but the English website isn’t very clear, so I will have to take a look the Chinese site. Transportation in Shanghai is very convenient and I think there are three metro lines that go to the sports complex. Getting a visa shouldn’t be a problem, just hopefully the cost and timing work out with getting time off work!

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I think I did a brief write up about my experience at 4CC and seeing Brian and Tracy. Live skating is magical! And seeing Evgenia in person would be a dream, as would be seeing Sui/Han in person again

It’s not clear to me whether there are package deals for all sessions. There must be but the English website isn’t very clear, so I will have to take a look the Chinese site. Transportation in Shanghai is very convenient and I think there are three metro lines that go to the sports complex. Getting a visa shouldn’t be a problem, just hopefully the cost and timing work out with getting time off work!
I hope it'll happen anyway!

Scott512

Record Breaker
One of the most endearing videos ever of Zhenya is on youtube. Its after test skates 2015 and fans are warmly greeting the then baby girl Zhenya and she is loving it. :) If you want to see it type in the title Evgeniya Medvedeva after Russian Open Skates 2015 in the youtube search box.

Speaking of test skates they re coming soon and should be awesome. No worries for Zhenya of how she will be accepted unlike last year when she wondered.

Watch

Final Flight
One of the most endearing videos ever of Zhenya is on youtube. Its after test skates 2015 and fans are warmly greeting the then baby girl Zhenya and she is loving it. :) If you want to see it type in the title Evgeniya Medvedeva after Russian Open Skates 2015 in the youtube search box.

Speaking of test skates they re coming soon and should be awesome. No worries for Zhenya of how she will be accepted unlike last year when she wondered.

Indeed, what a cute video!

And it's really quite a different feeling that I have before test skates compared to last year. A lot less unknowns. The media has calmed down a bit, she's used to her team now, had sufficient time to prepare and it's not new anymore that the test skates take place in front of a large audience, either. So far, so good. I'm very excited for the programs! And what do you guys think, will she try to jump a 4S in practice for the fed to see? I don't expect her to include it in her program already, but showing an attempt outside of it could be an option.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Indeed, what a cute video!

And it's really quite a different feeling that I have before test skates compared to last year. A lot less unknowns. The media has calmed down a bit, she's used to her team now, had sufficient time to prepare and it's not new anymore that the test skates take place in front of a large audience, either. So far, so good. I'm very excited for the programs! And what do you guys think, will she try to jump a 4S in practice for the fed to see? I don't expect her to include it in her program already, but showing an attempt outside of it could be an option.

Yes all the way around.