Gabby Daleman Interview (Youtube) | Golden Skate

Gabby Daleman Interview (Youtube)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not only layouts but she mentions new jumps!!! :eeking: i know she had been working on a 3A previously... but let's see if that's what she's referring to... she mentioned that 4t is not really in the mix since her 3t-3t is so stable and she wouldn't want to wreck that... ;) go gabby !!!

Miller

Final Flight
Wow. Didn't realise you'd got a whole series of great interviews on your Youtube channel. Any way of collecting them together e.g. at the top of the Fan Fests forum? Looks like they quickly disappear down the threads list of the Edge, but put them there (only maintained by the mods) and people can enjoy them for a long time to come.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Love this...thanks so much GS and Ted! Gabby is Fierce and Sassy. Manon Perron (Joannie's coach) gave her sage advice, as she mentioned Manon telling her before Worlds, "you've got to go out there and skate like you're a world medalist." And she did!

Can't wait to see her new SP, she was bursting with excitement when talking about it.

Last edited:
What a charmer. I can't believe how self-assured these young athletes are.

A couple of times there I thought the Zamboni was going to run over them. :laugh:

Sackie

Medalist
A little surprised she said she wouldn't mind doing Skate America again since she knows she won't get Skate Canada! I mean really - why would any non USA lady want to do SA if they didn't have to - especially in an Olympic year!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Gabby is amazing. Her 3T-3T changed the way I thought about triple jumps.
I can't wait to see her perform her new layout. :thumbsup:

A little surprised she said she wouldn't mind doing Skate America again since she knows she won't get Skate Canada! I mean really - why would any non USA lady want to do SA if they didn't have to - especially in an Olympic year!

Why not? Of the last twelve years US ladies won 4 times, Japan 3, Russia 3, and Korea 2. As for the men, its Japan 9. USA 2, and Czech Republic 1.

mrrice

Record Breaker

The reason a non US Lady would want to do Skate America is to skate against a top us Lady. If Gabby go's to Skate America and is able to beat Karen Chen, Ashley, or another top lady like Mariah Bell, or the returning Polina Edmonds, it would send a big message to rest of the field that her Medal at Worlds was no fluke. It would also give her a huge boost of confidence for the rest of the season as it's one of the earlier major GP Events.

Like Canada, the audience will be very respectful of good skating and they went wild for Adelina Sotnikova when she skated there in 2012. Also, I will be at Skate America and I promise that I'll be screaming for ANY skater who takes the ice....I wish Keegan would come back to Skate America as he was quite popular with fans and I would personally love to see him.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The reason a non US Lady would want to do Skate America is to skate against a top us Lady. If Gabby go's to Skate America and is able to beat Karen Chen, Ashley, or another top lady like Mariah Bell, or the returning Polina Edmonds, it would send a big message to rest of the field that her Medal at Worlds was no fluke. It would also give her a huge boost of confidence for the rest of the season as it's one of the earlier major GP Events.

Like Canada, the audience will be very respectful of good skating and they went wild for Adelina Sotnikova when she skated there in 2012. Also, I will be at Skate America and I promise to that I'll be screaming for ANY skater who takes the ice....I wish Keegan would come back to Skate America as he was quite popular with fans and I would personally love to see him.

Imho. Gabby's worlds medal was no fluke. No need to prove anything. She thinks SA is fine? Just means she is not afraid and willing to take competition anywhere anytime.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Like Canada, the audience will be very respectful of good skating and they went wild for Adelina Sotnikova when she skated there in 2012. Also, I will be at Skate America and I promise to that I'll be screaming for ANY skater who takes the ice....I wish Keegan would come back to Skate America as he was quite popular with fans and I would personally love to see him.

Uhhhhh....The part that I bolded and italicized: Skate America is the last GP event of this season, so that null and voids out your theory, just saying.:slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Uhhhhh....The part that I bolded and italicized: Skate America is the last GP event of this season, so that null and voids out your theory, just saying.:slink:

Is it really??? Well, that changes things. Maybe I should watch the video before I keep talking. Don't most US and Canadian skaters do both events??

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is it really??? Well, that changes things. Maybe I should watch the video before I keep talking. Don't most US and Canadian do both events??

Skate America is November 24-26, 2017. It's usually the first event but this season will be the last before GPF, here is more info in case you're interested.

http://www.2017skateamerica.com/

mrrice

Record Breaker
Imho. Gabby's worlds medal was no fluke. No need to prove anything. She thinks SA is fine? Just means she is not afraid and willing to take competition anywhere anytime.

4everchan.....Where is Gabby from?? She sounds like one of my dance girls. That's the first time I've ever heard her voice and for some reason, I thought she would sound like Cynthia Phanuef....:shrug:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
4everchan.....Where is Gabby from?? She sounds like one of my dance girls. That's the first time I've ever heard her voice and for some reason, I thought she would sound like Cynthia Phanuef....:shrug:

She's from Toronto. Cynthia was from Quebec. And if you're wondering, Kaetlyn is from Newfoundland, but has been training in Edmonton, Alberta for a number of years.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She's from Toronto. Cynthia was from Quebec. And if you're wondering, Kaetlyn is from Newfoundland, but has been training in Edmonton, Alberta for a number of years.

OK, that explains it. For some reason, I thought she was from Quebec as well. :thank:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OK, that explains it. For some reason, I thought she was from Quebec as well. :thank:

Probably because her first name is French. OT, but I find it funny that she has the French version but Gabriella Papadakis, who is actually French, has the Italian version.

Actually, I don't think that Gabby will have any choice about where she states in the Grand Prix. She will have to go where she is invited by the host federation. In so far as they take the skaters' preferences into consideration, Medvedeva and Osmond are still ahead of Gabby in the pecking order.

If the USA gets to choose first, they will probably not take Medvedeva, who would give a sure loss to Karen Chen and might put Chen out of the finals (assuming that Chen will be a USA host pick as U.S. champion). Either Osmond or Daleman would be a crowd-pleasing choice, if the USFSA takes that into consideration.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually, I don't think that Gabby will have any choice about where she states in the Grand Prix. She will have to go where she is invited by the host federation. In so far as they take the skaters' preferences into consideration, Medvedeva and Osmond are still ahead of Gabby in the pecking order.

If the USA gets to choose first, they will probably not take Medvedeva, who would give a sure loss to Karen Chen and might put Chen out of the finals (assuming that Chen will be a USA host pick as U.S. champion). Either Osmond or Daleman would be a crowd-pleasing choice, if the USFSA takes that into consideration.

But they typically honour the requests of the World Champs, do they not? That's what I'd heard. So if she wants SA, she could still get it. SC will take Kaetlyn with a host pick, so Zhenya can't go there, but otherwise her team has some say, since she's 1st.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I agree. It is no secret that I have loved Gabby from first time I saw her. Like Kaetlyn, the fact that he she had such big jumps gave me hope that she would follow in Joannie footsteps. If you remember, I thought she looked like Sylvia Fontana with bigger jumps. In fact, I still think that way. Gabby has made such a huge statement with her World Medal and with the Olympics right around the corner, she has set herself up perfectly for a great season.

Last edited: