Gabby Daleman Interview (Youtube) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gabby Daleman Interview (Youtube)

beki

Medalist
Even if there were a need to prove something, she already did that by following up Worlds with a good performance at WTT. Her confidence must be at an all time high, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's fair to saying Gabby'a bronze was surprising, but to call it a fluke is to trivialize what she did to earn it. I get that it's unusual for a skater with no GP medals to get bronze... but her bronze was a convincing bronze and was won fair and square.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as always thanks a lot for this interview!:thank:, Ted is a great interviewer - engaging and with real, honest FS fan attitude:)

since I saw Gabrielle's 2016/17 programs for the first time I knew this will be either a real breakthrough season for her or at least a season of continuing to grow as a performer and gaining more confidence/consistency in delivering goods she obviously always had - those programs were designed to 'strike' and dazzle I feel, especially SP, they command attention and showed off Gabby's skating in the best way possible. And I do think that the material she had played an important role in her best season ever, completed with World bronze medal (for me shining even brighter than actual gold) - it matched her energetic attitude, big skating and general 'explosiveness' around her as a person.

actually laughed for a little while reading 'fluke medalist' opinions...seeing Gabby's steady development, how far she went with working on her presentation, confidence in performing, polish over her skating and how big determination she showed for the whole season, all of these proves that she has a right mindset going and that she aimed high. Then, she had one of best materials in her hands in the whole field, hands down. And finally - yes, she was not iron-perfect during the season (especially looking at FS), but her reactions, disappointment shown for those 4th places only proved how fierce she is and how badly she wants it to happen, then she did it magnificently at Worlds when it mattered the most and at the end of the season. For me Gabrielle showed something even more important than Worlds medal itself by getting onto that podium in Helsinki - she showed fighting spirit and nerves from steel, competitive strive and poise, perfect momentum built and ability to continue on all that at WTT. My point is that her 'trajectory' of the season was constantly ascending, yes - it was not a straight line of wins, but it was a learning curve finished by a high note. Which is a great entrance to the Olympic season I believe.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
A little surprised she said she wouldn't mind doing Skate America again since she knows she won't get Skate Canada! I mean really - why would any non USA lady want to do SA if they didn't have to - especially in an Olympic year!

I would say for ladies is actually a great event where if you have the skills you can medal even without the reputation: look at Mihara this season, but also Medvedeva or Radionova in the past. Obviously Skate Canada would be better for her for several reasons, but it's not that bad nonetheless.

Then in France i feel there are always the most generous judges, they aren't shy to give PBs for everyone so i think they are both two solid picks.

Regarding Gabby, Worlds could be a turning point for her, though i hope in a more appealing and unique FS for the Olympic season: Rhapsody in blue didn't stand out to me, it's so used in figure skating and this program in particular didn't have anything new.

Jumps i don't think she needs to fix that much, i mean judges are giving her the huge GOEs, exactly in line with her plans, and she needs to build that consistency so i don't expect major changes on that.

I would suggest instead to reduce the crossovers, especially in the free there are maybe too many.