Gap bewteen tongue and boot on Risport Royal Pro | Golden Skate

Gap bewteen tongue and boot on Risport Royal Pro

Hello!

I currently skate in Risport Royal Pros. I love the fit of the boot and the way the hold my heel into place. However, I am having issues with gapping between the inside part of the tongue and the boot, where when I bend my ankle you can actually see my socks. The outside stays firm. This issue is only happening on the inside and it does make me nervous, as I don't want to hurt myself.

Anyone deal with this issue before/have any advice? I have purchased longer laces, so hopefully that also helps.

Thank you!

By 'gapping' do you mean the tongue is off-center and there's an opening down the side? Royals don't have full ankle wrap, but the tongue should be wide enough to be flush with the boot on both sides, but only if it's centered while you're tying them. I've been skating in Royal line boots for about 10 months and I've found that the best way to center the tongue while lacing is to pull it to the center after tightening the laces between each set of eyelets. It makes the lacing process take a little longer, but it's worth it.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello!

I currently skate in Risport Royal Pros. I love the fit of the boot and the way the hold my heel into place. However, I am having issues with gapping between the inside part of the tongue and the boot, where when I bend my ankle you can actually see my socks. The outside stays firm. This issue is only happening on the inside and it does make me nervous, as I don't want to hurt myself.

Anyone deal with this issue before/have any advice? I have purchased longer laces, so hopefully that also helps.

Thank you!
Do you mean the tongue is creeping sideways toward the outer side of your boot and the gap is down the inner edge of the tongue?

By 'gapping' do you mean the tongue is off-center and there's an opening down the side? Royals don't have full ankle wrap, but the tongue should be wide enough to be flush with the boot on both sides, but only if it's centered while you're tying them. I've been skating in Royal line boots for about 10 months and I've found that the best way to center the tongue while lacing is to pull it to the center after tightening the laces between each set of eyelets. It makes the lacing process take a little longer, but it's worth it.
Yes that is exactly it! It does get off center as I skate. I will try that method and see how it works. Thank you!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just switched to Royal Pros recently and have also had this happen! I don't think it's a big deal at all - I handle it pretty much how @outside edge enjoyer describes.

I had a bad habit with my last boots (Jacksons) of not loosening the laces all the way down when taking them off, and when I first got the Royals I did the same thing. I think because of that, the tongue on my right boot got a bit twisted, because it sat in my bag for a while with the laces pulled too tight to allow it to spring back to its normal position. Now I just make sure to loosen the laces completely when I take them off, like I should have been doing all along 😅 This also forces me to retighten the laces all the way up each time I put them on, so I have a chance to re-center the tongues as I go.

IceM

Rinkside
The tongue slipping is pretty common, and is typically a result of either pronation or supination. Most people pronate or supinate at least a bit. If the gap is forming on the inside, it's pronation (your kneebend is falling to the inside pushing the tongue outside). If your laces are loose or the boot too big, the issue gets worse, although this is more common in hockey skates. Figure skaters are typically better at lacing their boots ;)

It's not a serious issue, and as you break in the tongue typically shapes a little to compensate.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The tongue slipping is pretty common, and is typically a result of either pronation or supination. Most people pronate or supinate at least a bit. If the gap is forming on the inside, it's pronation (your kneebend is falling to the inside pushing the tongue outside). If your laces are loose or the boot too big, the issue gets worse, although this is more common in hockey skates. Figure skaters are typically better at lacing their boots ;)

It's not a serious issue, and as you break in the tongue typically shapes a little to compensate.
I've always pronated (very common with high arches) and was taught as a kid to pull the tongue too far over to the inside while lacing up. By the time I've done some laps of stroking to warm up, it's already shifted back to close where it should be. All the brands of boots I've worn over the decades, same problem.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
All the brands of boots I've worn over the decades, same problem.
I have the Jackson Supreme 5362. On each side, the side of the tongue extends about an inch past the side of the throat of the uppers. This substantial overlap solves the problem. I don't know whether other model Jacksons have a similar tongue/throat geometry.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I have the Jackson Supreme 5362. On each side, the side of the tongue extends about an inch past the side of the throat of the uppers. This substantial overlap solves the problem. I don't know whether other model Jacksons have a similar tongue/throat geometry.
I haven't worn Jacksons for at least ten years or more, since whenever they changed the last to something that no longer fits my feet. I don't even remember what the model was called, except that it was a number rather than a name. My older style didn't have the wide tongue like that, but it sounds like a good idea if Jacksons are otherwise the brand that is right for someone's feet.

migureskater

Spectator
Country
South-Korea
In my case, the opposite happens...

When I bend my knees, the tongue is okay but the outside of the boot(where the hooks are) widens.
I tried to lace tighter but it didn't help. Probably I wasn't strong enough to lace tight but that was my best...

Do you have this kind of problem too?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In my case, the opposite happens...

When I bend my knees, the tongue is okay but the outside of the boot(where the hooks are) widens.
I tried to lace tighter but it didn't help. Probably I wasn't strong enough to lace tight but that was my best...

Do you have this kind of problem too?
This happens with knee bend. It's not really a big deal, the boot has to expand some to accommodate this movement or it would burst.