General Impressions | Golden Skate

General Impressions

Linny

Final Flight
The individual threads are doing a great job of providing details for each event... nothing to add there. The posters are marvelous!

I'll just do general impressions.

Caught the last flight of the men's practice. I did not see Evan attempt any quads in practice. If he did, I missed it. I was suprised that he attempted on in his short.

Takahashi wore "feathers" at practice. Must have some kind of significance for him, getting in the mood for the program. Kevin Reynolds tried triple axel after triple axel and finally landed on - two footed - but at least he landed it. He's 17? Really? Looks 12. Max. Well, Kevin - stay young as long as you can.

Ladies first flight for practice was interesting. Second flight more interesting. Tugba was tearing the place up. Her practice was so "on" that it was unbelievable. Elaina G skates with much greater authority than in previous years - hope it continues from the practice into the performance. Kimmie tried plenty of jumps and (I think) missed as many as she completed. Caroline K completed a nice combination right in front of us, so we clapped and she looked at us and kind of acknowledged the applause. It was adorable.

Practices were actually quite well attended. This seems to be a rather strong crowd in Reading, not just casual viewers.

Between practice and performance, my friend took me to an art gallery/work shop on 3rd Street near Washington called Googleworks (because it's set in a former eyeglass factory). Totally cool - the artists are in their offices working and you walk by and look at their stuff and they invite you in and talk to you about their vision. We spent quite a bit of time speaking to a lady who is painting only horses for a year (since my friend and I are both equestrians).

Ate lunch at a cafe called Batista Restaurant at 4th and Penn. If anyone who is staying in Reading is reading this, I recommend it. It's Spanish food. They've got several entres on a steam table and you choose what you want and sit down. It was excellent. My friend and I were both filled right up and the check was $12. For both of us.

Back to performances. I like the CDs because that's sort of what my husband and I did years ago on roller skates and I can still name some of the turns and see the differences between teams. The scoring was mysterious to me, though, being as I though Davis and White were actually the best - very fast, very close, very light on their feet, no scratching of the ice - but they weren't placed first.

A break. I bought the Kettle Corn from the vendor - addicting stuff.

Back in to watch the pairs. When you see them live, you really understand the height from which the lady can fall (my friend and I compare it to a fall from our horses - our falls are substantially less in distance and, with luck, we get to hit soft dirt). Other than that, we were underwhelmed. One pair - Dube & Davidson - did a lift that included multiple changes of position. It was cool but a tiny bit slow. The Russian pair seemed like they were the only ones who completed all their elements cleanly - but someone watching the live stream would have to verify that for me. Pang and Tong sleep walked through their performance. I understand, now, having read the threads, that they arrived very early that morning. Hope they get some sleep and come back and show us something for the LP.

Seeing CD, then Pairs SP then Mens SP one right after another is brutal. The venue is nice but the seats can feel hard after a bit. We walked the concourse between sessions. And I drank one beer - not expensive in terms of what you'd pay at, say, a football game - but still expensive enough for me to enjoy it as a valuable treat.

Men's SP was great. One guy after another tried very hard to rack up points. Two guys - Chan and Reynolds - had what I think were breakthrough performances for them. They both looked very happy. Of course, you'all know that Lysecek missed his quad. Other posters have said that it seemed like he lost steam after that, but I didn't see that - to my eyes, he got up after a hard fall right in front of my seat and went on fighting for points in other elements.

Guess Spanish flavor music is going to be his signature.

And, as the other posters mentioned, Takahashi got the only standing O. It was deserved. He totally works his music and his choreography, throwing his entire being into the performance.

Home again. Waited about 15 minutes in my car in the parking garage while the lady who pulled out facing the wrong direction got herself turned around again. All the cars were going left and all the parking spots are slanted so that you pull out and head left but she made a rather difficult back-out to get turned the wrong direction. Musta been overwhelmed by figure skating, dizzy from watching all those spins. Hope she got home safely.

Linny

Linny

Final Flight
Pbp

I wish I could do PBP for you'all but I can't always tell what jump they were attempting without having a replay. Plus, I don't have a laptop there and a WiFi connection - so, I'd have to take notes and report when I got home... which is pretty late at night.

I hope all the visitors - but actually there and in spirit - are having a good time in Reading, my home town. It's a pretty happening place, actually, for a city that size. Each time I visit (I live about 30 minutes away) I am excited to see all the changes.

I should give props to the artists we spoke to at Goggleworks. They were Stephen White, Raylene DeVine and Sharon McGinley. At http://www.goggleworks.org there is a list of all the artists who have studios there. The admission is FREE.

I'm not going to attend any more practices. Even though it's raining (pouring! all the drought striken areas are jealous) and my riding lessons are cancelled, I don't think my back can stand sitting in the cold arena for more than just the performances - looks like about 7 hours of it this evening.

The venue, btw, is great. There are enough vendors open so that you don't have to stand in long lines. There is enough security to help you feel safe but not so much that you feel invaded upon. And the restrooms are sufficient and clean. So props to The Soverign Center.

Linny

Linny

Final Flight
More general impressions

Did not get to see any practices. It's pouring rain here and my animals require extra care when they are kept in.

Enjoyed the OD for the dance skaters but found Bommentre's costume a little embarrassing. Especially when he kind of stuck some of his fringe inbetween his legs so that he could sit in kiss and cry sort of modestly. I'm not a prude; I know dancers where tights. But they don't have to sit in kiss and cry after they dance.

Was glad to see White and Davis move up a little bit in the standings. I suspect that because neither of them are tall, they get overlooked a little bit.

Was a bit underwhelmed by the Pairs LP. I knew that the really big guns in the discipline weren't there but still hoped for some neat moments. I'm happy for Dube and Davidson - big bonus for their career. And Oh Canada is one of the nicest national anthems ever.

Walked down to 3rd & Penn for dinner and ate in the pizzeria with the Big Slice. It was, indeed, big. Equivalent to 2 regular slices. It was a shame that most of the places to eat and shop were closed. I guess they rely on the office workers during the day for their trade and don't expect to get enough from people leaving the arena to eat.

Ladies SP - heart felt sorrow for Elaina G. She switched coaches when I wasn't looking... I thought she was with Galina. At any rate, her jumps eluded her that day. At least she got the double axel. Totally impressed with Caroline. Love her energy. Didn't care for Emily's dress - it doesn't accentuate her beauty. At least not in my opinion. I thought she was stunning in her practice tights. Perhaps her costume designers ought to consider a unitard. Nice to see Kimmie hitting her jumps. Also nice to see some emotion shown by Miki.

Men's LP - I don't have anything to add to this that wasn't in the individual thread. I think I understand the math of why Diaske won over Evan but am not entirely certain. In the grand scheme of things, I prefer Diaske's skating but not that night. I'm not comfortable with a 2 fall routine not being scored 10 points below a clean routine with a quad. 10 points was the lead that Diaske had after the SP. It certainly seemed to me that Evan had made up the 10 points.

Guess after this, Evan is simply going to have to learn to skate 2 good programs.

We didn't stay for the awards ceremony. And didn't get stuck in the parking garage while some driver pulled out backwards against the line of traffic. Not two nights in a row.

Linny

indicatoto101

On the Ice
Men's LP - I don't have anything to add to this that wasn't in the individual thread. I think I understand the math of why Diaske won over Evan but am not entirely certain. In the grand scheme of things, I prefer Diaske's skating but not that night. I'm not comfortable with a 2 fall routine not being scored 10 points below a clean routine with a quad. 10 points was the lead that Diaske had after the SP. It certainly seemed to me that Evan had made up the 10 points.

Guess after this, Evan is simply going to have to learn to skate 2 good programs.

Linny

Takahashi lead by 12 points after the short and while he fell twice, he also did a (fully rotated) quad.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladies SP - heart felt sorrow for Elaina G. She switched coaches when I wasn't looking... I thought she was with Galina. At any rate, her jumps eluded her that day. At least she got the double axel.
What's more, she is now training with Serov, a coaching unknown.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Your report

Thanks so much for your report. It was a fun and informative read!

Maureen

sillylionlove

Medalist
Well the one part I don't see posted is that the italian pairs team of Laura Maggeteri and Ondrej Hotarek spent all day Thursday fighting in practice. He was yelling at her in Italian over by the coaches. Wish I knew italian. Over on the other side he was yelling at her in English asking her "what the f*** are you doing out there" No surprise that they came in last!!

sillylionlove

Medalist
Yeah it was pretty interesting with the italians. We all wanted to know what he was saying to her. At one point, she was actually crying. We all felt kind of bad. But by Saturday they looked like they had made up.

Here was a funny thing. I asked this guy standing in front of me who he was coaching and he said "the girl from Turkey." I was like dude...I have been here since 8 am!! I am a skating fan you could have said Tugba and I would have know who she was!!

feraina

Record Breaker
Here was a funny thing. I asked this guy standing in front of me who he was coaching and he said "the girl from Turkey." I was like dude...I have been here since 8 am!! I am a skating fan you could have said Tugba and I would have know who she was!!

Haha. I think Tugba is probably too busy working on her skating (her jumps have really improved!) to notice her newly forming fan following. :)