Genuine figure skating friendships? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Genuine figure skating friendships?

Dogo

On the Ice
Also, the award for platonic bro romance goes to Nathan Chen and Romain Ponsart.

I know Romain is pretty much almost engaged to Mariah Bell, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan Chen is on Romain's waitlist if she pulls out 😂, just kidding. They both are inseparable on Instagram and probably do miss each other during this pandemic. Friendship goals indeed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that Trankov consider Meagan Duhamel the most unpleasant rival in his career. He brought up her name immediately, when asked about it in interview. I thought for a sec she is some kind of evil person. :pray::wink:

I'm glad you only thought that for a sec,(y)

since Meagan is clearly a warm supportive friend. The topic of this thread :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thing is, as always, we don't know these people at all really, only the faces they put up publicly. It's very easy to spin a PR friendship by happy smiling photos, public or even semi-public appearances full of what my niece calls 'feels', following and liking online, saying the right things in interviews etc. And even where it's genuine liking, there are different types and levels of friendships.

Apart from the few cases that we know of, where they have gone those steps further than just great pals in the public gaze, I tend to stick with "who knows? But hey, it's heartwarming so fine!" It beats feuding, after all.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The thing is, as always, we don't know these people at all really, only the faces they put up publicly. It's very easy to spin a PR friendship by happy smiling photos, public or even semi-public appearances full of what my niece calls 'feels', following and liking online, saying the right things in interviews etc. And even where it's genuine liking, there are different types and levels of friendships.

Apart from the few cases that we know of, where they have gone those steps further than just great pals in the public gaze, I tend to stick with "who knows? But hey, it's heartwarming so fine!" It beats feuding, after all.
Keegan Messing in an interview stated that Nam, his friend, had helped him a lot when his brother died. As did Piper Gilles. That's not PR, that's real friendship (well, at least that's how I feel about this).

I also understand (from interviews) that Bruno Massot and Christopher Boyadji are friends.

And, of course, even PR friendships are better than feuding. Always.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm guessing you may be thinking of the mega ice dance Russian drama around '94! Maya Usova and her husband/partner, Alexandr Zhulin were the main competitors of Oksana Grishuk and Platov. Grishuk began an affair with Zhulin around the '94 Olympics which Grishuk won with Platov while wearing Zhulin's wedding ring around her neck (or something)! Usova and Zhulin got the silver (but the crowd only cared about Torvill and Dean, who clever Russian-favored judging condemned to the bronze.) The Russians could not look at each other at the awards, but they all hugged the Brits enthusiastically. It's funny to watch - I'm going to google it again, after writing this. Adding to the drama, the Russians had at one time shared a coach, who fired Grishuk, and Usova slammed Grishuk's head into a table at the restaurant, Spago (or something)! Then, the couples switched partners and the Usova/Platov combo beat Gruisuk/Zhulin at a competition. It was epic stuff that you couldn't make up! Someone else probably knows the outcome of all this. I know Grisuk moved to LA, thinking she might become the next Marilyn Monroe, and had to change her name in disgust because ignorant Americans kept thinking she was Oksana Baiul!
I felt so bad for Usova....I think Platov is a stand up guy....I hope Usova found happiness.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He now lives and coaches in the US, apparently.
As I said previously in this thread a few pages back. Zhulin actually coached in the US (NJ) before moving back to Russia. He became a US citizen in 2006.

Also, you have the partnerships and how long they skated together post splits from original partners backwards. Zhulin only skated pro with Oksana for a year. Maia and Evgeny skated together longer professionally.

Maia went on to coach with Tarasova(Happy Birthday today to her btw), and then on her own in NJ and Russia. She is now an ITS for Russia.

Last edited:

khughes

On the Ice
As I said previously in this thread a few pages back. Zhulin actually coached in the US (NJ) before moving back to Russia. He became a US citizen in 2006.

Also, you have the partnerships and how long they skated together post splits from original partners backwards. Zhulin only skated pro with Oksana for a year. Maia and Evgeny skated together longer professionally.

Maia went on to coach with Tarasova(Happy Birthday today to her btw), and then on her own in NJ and Russia. She is now an ITS for Russia.
I was actually talking about Platov in that sentence. But, thanks for elaborating on their post-split lives.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Brian Orser more than once commented on the relationships of Javi and Yuzu. They do truly respect and support each other, and get along famously - yet they are not the type of friends who would hang together, go to get pizza or movies etc., because their life styles are completely different and I think it's quite accurate. IMO they are great teammates but I would stop short of classifying them as "genuine buddies".
Their "friendship" has been canonized as the model for sports BFFness in most circles, but having followed Javi's side of things does make it quite clear that they were very good training mates and rivals inspiring each other to work harder and excel in their sport, but that was it. Javi said as much quite clearly particularly in Spanish interviews at the time.

It is of course impossible to know what went on behind the tightly closed doors of The Cricket Club. But just watching their interactions over the years, it seems that in the beginning their relationship was reciprocal as both initiatied things more or less equally. After some time (difficult to pinpoint excatly when), Javi more or less stops engaging Hanyu for anything, and it is Hanyu who initiates activities. Some might even remember the news from fall 2017 when Orser said that the plan was to take Javi and Gabby Daleman to some other rink to train at times to relieve the tension at Cricket. Hanyu's injury just a little bit later meant that this plan was probably never implemented, but the episode indicates that there were problems.

Memories turn golden, so it is easy to ignore the signs for anything but the positive vibes of how it all ended.

To be slightly controversial, I have been wondering about Hanyu watching Javi's performances by the borders instead of doing it backstage (Javi AFAIK never watched Hanyu like that). Back in the 1980s Katarina Witt was famous for doing this with her greatest rivals and it has often been interpreted to be psychological warfare from her part (I don't know if she has talked about this herself - does someone know?). But what were Hanyu's motives? To make his greatest rival nervous at key moments or cheering him on?

E

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Their "friendship" has been canonized as the model for sports BFFness in most circles, but having followed Javi's side of things does make it quite clear that they were very good training mates and rivals inspiring each other to work harder and excel in their sport, but that was it. Javi said as much quite clearly particularly in Spanish interviews at the time.

It is of course impossible to know what went on behind the tightly closed doors of The Cricket Club. But just watching their interactions over the years, it seems that in the beginning their relationship was reciprocal as both initiatied things more or less equally. After some time (difficult to pinpoint excatly when), Javi more or less stops engaging Hanyu for anything, and it is Hanyu who initiates activities. Some might even remember the news from fall 2017 when Orser said that the plan was to take Javi and Gabby Daleman to some other rink to train at times to relieve the tension at Cricket. Hanyu's injury just a little bit later meant that this plan was probably never implemented, but the episode indicates that there were problems.

Memories turn golden, so it is easy to ignore the signs for anything but the positive vibes of how it all ended.

To be slightly controversial, I have been wondering about Hanyu watching Javi's performances by the borders instead of doing it backstage (Javi AFAIK never watched Hanyu like that). Back in the 1980s Katarina Witt was famous for doing this with her greatest rivals and it has often been interpreted to be psychological warfare from her part (I don't know if she has talked about this herself - does someone know?). But what were Hanyu's motives? To make his greatest rival nervous at key moments or cheering him on?

E
I think that at the beginning it was a little bro-big bro relationship, like we can see here, just 3-4 months after Yuzuru's transfer at TCC. But after they became the top 2 skaters i think that rivalry was too strong too keep the same relationship or develop true friendship. I don't think there can be a genuine friendship between two skaters who are the favorites for the gold.