Gold withdraws from 2018 US Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gold withdraws from 2018 US Nationals

R.D.

Record Breaker
She was responding to a troll who was attacking her. I applaud her for her reply.

Perhaps but at the same time: why give them the time of day? Why bother responding in the first place? By doing so, you’re (inadvertently) legitimizing them and their POV, not to mention drawing attention to them. You don’t want to do that, that’s what they want. Otherwise it’s just noise.

I get the instinct to want to “put them in their place”, but I don’t think it serves everyone in the long run. Wagner has done this too in the past and it hasn’t solved anything.

_____
Having said the above, if for whatever reason this is part of her recovery process, then fair enough. Point stands though, a reaction was provoked.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Perhaps but at the same time: why give them the time of day? Why bother responding in the first place? By doing so, you’re (inadvertently) legitimizing them and their POV, not to mention drawing attention to them. You don’t want to do that, that’s what they want. Otherwise it’s just noise.

I get the instinct to want to “put them in their place”, but I don’t think it serves everyone in the long run. Wagner has done this too in the past and it hasn’t solved anything.

_____
Having said the above, if for whatever reason this is part of her recovery process, then fair enough. Point stands though, a reaction was provoked.

I disagree with this sentiment. I think calling out sexist and derogatory comments is important. Turning something into a flame war isn't- but I see nothing wrong with giving one response and then moving on. It doesn't matter who it serves- everyone has a right to respond to provocation as they see fit (as long as it is appropriate to the initial inappropriate comment).

I see what you are saying but I also think it's not always right to not call out people- what level of mean spirited enough isn't okay to ignore? The person who was the target of the mean spirited comment right to respond how they want. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If nothing else, it vocalized Gracie's power to overcome the situation.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think too many people have criticized Gracie for just about every facet of her life and her skating career. Sometimes it's very difficult to continue "turning the other cheek!" The fact that she's capable and willing to fight back seems really healthy to me. We place people on pedestals and have high expectations for them just because they have an extreme talent in one area. They're still human with all the vulnerabilities and sensitiveness of anybody else. It's easy to say "don't respond" or "don't read the media" or any number of "don'ts!" But I'm guessing in her position right now, having to divulge a very personal situation to the world (and to all those people who have criticized her openly) Gracie is finally developing a thick skin. I think that's awesome! If she's offended someone with her tweet - oh well. Deal with it.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If nothing else, it vocalized Gracie's power to overcome the situation.

for me, this actually builds up a strong image, the continuation of Gracie's open speaking about issues she's dealing with, honesty and courage to expose herself in that way and to expose the not-so-pretty face of the competitive world to deal with.

I sometimes ask myself, when seeing such 'ignore', 'be above this' remarks posted after responding to mean, abusive, assuming, hateful message, why there is so much attention paid to NOT react to such things than to prove them wrong actively, directly and to react upon them in healthy, strong, educative way, showing that this is not an issue we're ambivalent about. When there's something that touches you, your beliefs, matters that are important to particular person, why not to speak up? Gracie for me obviously continues to make a room for herself in there, normalizing the state she's currently in and proving that it is not bound to be a silent one - it would be great thing to see her as an advocate for such open attitude regarding athletes' struggles in the future.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I see what you are saying but I also think it's not always right to not call out people- what level of mean spirited enough isn't okay to ignore? The person who was the target of the mean spirited comment right to respond how they want. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Fair point. I think there are ways to address the situation that are less divisive and don’t require a direct response. If things are getting out of hand and something absolutely MUST be said, perhaps like what Wagner faced after she was put on the Sochi team, I believe her *initial* decision to step away from social media and then return “business as usual” sharing experiences and pictures from Russia did more to “stick it to them” than any direct response ever could. (Of course, she couldn’t resist getting jabs in later on, but that’s an aside).

andromache

Record Breaker
Fair point. I think there are ways to address the situation that are less divisive and don’t require a direct response. If things are getting out of hand and something absolutely MUST be said, perhaps like what Wagner faced after she was put on the Sochi team, I believe her *initial* decision to step away from social media and then return “business as usual” sharing experiences and pictures from Russia did more to “stick it to them” than any direct response ever could. (Of course, she couldn’t resist getting jabs in later on, but that’s an aside).

Shaming someone for being a sexist, rude d-bag on social media is always okay. Decisive and direct is the way to go.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Shaming someone for being a sexist, rude d-bag on social media is always okay. Decisive and direct is the way to go.

I agree. Anyone who follows the sport knows that Gracie is going through a rough period in her life. She's dealing with it the best way that she can. IMO, She's a role model for young people everywhere. For someone to make a rude comment at a time like this is just shameful.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I disagree with this sentiment. I think calling out sexist and derogatory comments is important. Turning something into a flame war isn't- but I see nothing wrong with giving one response and then moving on. It doesn't matter who it serves- everyone has a right to respond to provocation as they see fit (as long as it is appropriate to the initial inappropriate comment).

I'm inclined to agree with RD, but that's probably because my response to the situation would be to ignore the idiotic comment. However, responding in such an assertive way may be Gracie's way of taking control of the conversation and letting people know how she feels. I just am not sure if reading and responding to criticism of her body on Twitter is the healthiest thing to be doing right now, but maybe it's healing for her to do so.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm inclined to agree with RD, but that's probably because my response to the situation would be to ignore the idiotic comment. However, responding in such an assertive way may be Gracie's way of taking control of the conversation and letting people know how she feels. I just am not sure if reading and responding to criticism of her body on Twitter is the healthiest thing to be doing right now, but maybe it's healing for her to do so.

I have a question about twitter....Can Gracie post her feelings and block people from responding? I like that fact that she can let people know how she's doing but, can't she just leave updates without opening herself up to these heartless responses?

R.D.

Record Breaker

We’ll agree to disagree here - I see that type of approach as unnecessarily divisive, and possibly even a case of the respondent becoming the exact person they claim to despise.

But you also don’t have to sit there and take it should it get out of hand. Twitter has a “mute” and a “block” option; you can also stop engaging altogether until the smoke clears.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ugh. Prior to Gracie responding, that troll also tweeted: "@michellekwan was fat towards the end and she still managed to win in 2005. Not sure what’s the problem."

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ugh. Prior to Gracie responding, that troll also tweeted: "@michellekwan was fat towards the end and she still managed to win in 2005. Not sure what’s the problem."

Ewwww. That's awful.
1) Don't bash another person too!! That's double trouble
2) Neither of them were fat.
3) Unless YOU are Gracie Gold, you DON'T know what she's going through. People struggling mentally come up with so many ways to hide it, to try to look "normal". So don't say "not sure what's the problem".

I realize that I'm kind of responding to a troll but I feel it's merited.

andromache

Record Breaker
Ewwww. That's awful.
1) Don't bash another person too!! That's double trouble
2) Neither of them were fat.
3) Unless YOU are Gracie Gold, you DON'T know what she's going through. People struggling mentally come up with so many ways to hide it, to try to look "normal". So don't say "not sure what's the problem".

I realize that I'm kind of responding to a troll but I feel it's merited.

Also the idea that she's suffering because of a guy!!! That made me :rolleye::disapp::ddevil:.

The world doesn't revolve around you, men!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

_____

I'm going to have to agree with pretty much everyone else that got their reply in before I saw this and leave it at that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We’ll agree to disagree here - I see that type of approach as unnecessarily divisive, and possibly even a case of the respondent becoming the exact person they claim to despise.

So you're saying that a young woman should just let a sexist pig of a man say whatever the hell he wants, but she should just sit quietly smiling prettily and never respond?

Because it sounds an awful lot like that.

bevybean

On the Ice
Anxiety, depression... God, how could that sunny-smiling girl have got such a diseases... Hugs to Gracie!..

Feeling like you have to be "Sunny-smiling" even if you don't feel that way can produce a lot of anxiety. Not to mention being emotionally exhausting. Just sayin'...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I think it's awesome that Gracie responded to the troll. Apart from replying with a satisfying "screw you" (I love me when women aren't afraid to stand up against minsogynst a-holes!), she also sent out a message that it's not embarrassing or shameful to admit one has a problem. There's so much stigma around mental illnesses even today and it's empowering to see someone proudly say, "I'm not OK, but I'm getting help." That's huge and it makes me root for Gracie in her life so, so much.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm actually glad to see some fire from Gracie for not taking **** from some troll. For too long she was criticized for not being real and saying the same old things and smiling all the time but it looks like she's done with being nice when it's not called for.