Graf Dance boots & blades sizing | Golden Skate

Graf Dance boots & blades sizing

bunhead626

Rinkside
Do you know if Graf boots' sizing is consistent between models? I've been skating in the Richmond Specials in size 4 for years and would like to snap up a pair of the Dance boots I see on clearance. Do you know if a pair of 9.5" MK Dance blades would fit those skates? My current MK Pros are 9.25" -- do dance blades need to be slightly longer to fit the boots' soles or something? I am doing more ice dance these days so I will either keep an ice dance set of skates, or maybe transition into dance boots first, then the MK Dance blades later. I'd appreciate your advice.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If ever there was a brand that isn't consistent with sizing, it's Graf...:rolleye:

I had Graf Dance in a 4.5L (the wide fitting) which were way bigger than the 4.5s I had in Graf Edmonton Specials. The Edmonton Specials differed widely between the beige suede and the white.

The only way to be safe with them is to make sure you can return the boots (unmounted) if they are unsuitable or you'll have to take the hit and sell them on. And you really need to measure the soles of the actual boots (not those belonging to another skater) to make sure you are mounting the right size of blade.

My sizse 4.5 Graf Dance were fitted with 9.5" blades. It is important that dance blades are fitted from end to end, ie flush with the toe and heel of the boot, as the shortened heel of the blade means that it's dangerous to fit them smaller. (Yes, I found that out the hard way and 1/4" does make a difference!) There is one exception to this and it's the Jackson Fusion sole; because the flare at the bottom of the heel is purely cosmetic, you can fit the blades 1/4" in from the heel end - still flush at the toe - and it's fine.

Dance boots aren't everybody's cup of tea. I'd been on dance blades for a long time, skating at a very high level, but not dance boots, and I found the lower backstay quite terrifying to start with but once used to it, I loved them.

You don't give your skating level, but I'd be cautious with making a complete switch to a dance set up in one fell swoop, especially a dance boot fitted with MK Dance blades. Give yourself a fighting chance by moving to Coronation Dance first so you can get used to the shortened heel without the thinner profile and domed toe pick!

2sk8

Rinkside
I would always recommend trying the boot on first, but Graf sizing is consistent across models. However, there are quite a few people still skating in "old" model Graf boots and this is often what you are seeing on "clearance" online. Graf did change its lasts a number of years ago, so current models will not fit exactly the same way as the older models. The general rule of thumb is that the size in a current model will be a half size different than the old model, though I have seen it go the other way (larger) if the skater's foot has changed over time but they are used to the older boot.

To be sure of sizing, you would need to know if you are in an older model or current model, and what that dance boot you are seeing online is. If you have questions about this, please feel free to DM me with photos or the link to the dance boot, and I can assist.

As for blades, the recommended blade length for a size 4 Graf is 9 1/2 - and it is the smallest size that is recommended for this blade length. Lots of freestyle skaters opt to go down a size on the blade, and it sounds like that is what you have. The current model Dance boot, to go end to end, would call for a 9 1/2.

bunhead626

Rinkside
Thank you for all your detailed advice! I'm in an old model of Richmond Specials and the Graf Dance boots I'm interested are also the older model with full leather soles. I'm going to focus on ice dance going forward as an adult, so I've thinking of switching to dance boots for the lower cut. I already leave the top hook on my current boots untied and quite loose. Maybe once I get used to dance boots + my MK Pros, then I can slowly transition to dance blades.

(As a teen I got up to a single axel with my older pair of Richmond Specials + MK Pros. Currently taking private lessons to get my pre-pre dances ready for testing.)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Honestly, at your level, I wouldn't switch. I've dabbled with the idea myself, but my dance coach competed and danced at a high level in freestyle boots and blades and says that the majority of adult dancers don't need a dance setup. Other wise skaters I know have also advised against it for me.

If you do decide to do it, I'd switch one thing at a time - maybe boots first, then blades. Doing both at once would be a huge adjustment.