Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’ | Golden Skate

Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2014-15 season was certainly not a mundane one for Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu, who had a spectacular the year before when he claimed not only Olympic gold, but the World and Grand Prix Final title as well. When asked to describe this past season in one word, he said it would be “experience.” [More]

“To aim for Pyeongchang Olympics, there is no doubt that the bar of difficulty needs to be raised,” he noted. “Not only that, I think that our generation of skaters needs to lead the development of the sport.”

“It’s not just about the scores,” Hanyu quickly added. “I consider the score as a bonus when I skate well. I am not doing difficult things in order to get a high score, but to grow myself.”

“I need to land both the Salchow and the toe,” stated the skater, who earned a new personal best in his free skate at the 2014-15 Grand Prix Final. “If I fail to land the quad toe in the beginning, it impacts my layout in the second half, especially the triple-triple. As you can see, I am really bad at the double Axel (in case I need to change the layout), so the key is to nail the quad toe. By putting two types of quads in the program, I can expand my possibility of the program components.”

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So true failure is a step to success - I think this has been stated by many philosophers and just people in general.. I am not sure if doing more difficult quads helps a lot ow pcs or rather adding components as people tend to need a wind up to the quads but I do think he has the goods to win or be on the podium with two quads he is hard to beat. Not sure if Chan can compete with that. Chan needs to add a quad sal and a triple axel while Fernadez needs to get consistent and improve his pcs. easier said than done..

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Great article! Although I feel failure is not the word for his season but perseverance. He had a lot happen to him this season and he managed to push through. He is a tough cookie!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for this article! Reading a re-cap of his season shows what a fighter he is. I'm glad he's trying to pay more attention to his physical condition and his health so I can be a bit less scared when I see him step on the ice.

And for those of you who are curious to see his WIP new long program, it was broadcast just today!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2upth0_ス〇ルたん20150620_sport
From 1:15.

Beautiful 4S to start and then a bit of a splat-fest following as he tries to do 2 other quads and a triple axel combo in a rather small rink. (be warned)
My thoughts: It's very rough now, and the 'real' program is going to be 1:30 minutes longer, but this is an extremely ambitious program, both technically and musically. I love the Choreo sequence and the mood he's trying to convey.
It's going to take some more time, but I see so much potential for greatness in this program.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a wonderful computer you have! Mine gives me much less appealing popups at times.

:laugh2:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
As the article showed, Yuzuru's positive attitude helped him get through that rocky 2014-15 season. He also said he felt he lost three years of his lifespan that season. Hoping this coming season all the news about him will be regarding his skating performances. His "SEIMEI" LP may be a defining one in his career.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for the article, his decisiones may not be wise all the time but he managed to finish the season on a high note, i hope now that all the injuries and accidents are behind him and he can move forward and blow us away :love:
maria!! congratz for 1500th post :cheer:

cl2

Final Flight

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's so simple but worth saying because some never try because of fear of failure and negative consequences in short term.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's so simple but worth saying because some never try because of fear of failure and negative consequences in short term.
His fans are freaking out because of his layout which might be:

4S - 4T - 3F - spin - step sequence - 4T2T - 3A3T - 3A1lo3S - 3lo - 3lz - spin - choreo sequence - final spin

I don't even expect anything near "clean" next season. I only hope that when he feels too tired, better to pop jump than to fall, it looks so painful.

And take note that skaters all heard of the new scale and negative GOE for quads maybe around a month before us. Yet he still decides to go for 3 quads. :unsure:

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What a wonderful article! It is full of great quotes that really express what true sportsmanship should be, and regardless of his competitive results (he has already won almost everything available) watching him develop as an artist and expanding the boundaries of the sport will be amazing!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Crown Hanyu king off the men. Wow, what an amazing program Though Javier has more natural charm, and if scored fairly Chan has superior skating skills his program is unbeatable if he lands everything or close to. Chan is missing an axel and quad. Javier is too inconsistent. Denis Ten doesn't quite have it all. And Kovutun and the Americans all have major deficiencies or inconsistencies.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see his full LP in coming season. The music and style of the program is so great.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I like Yuzuru´s interview. He seems to have a very competitive personality, but it always look like he is demanding more for himself that expecting and hoping for others to fail.

I like the concept of Seimei program. I hope he can pull it off.

padme21

On the Ice
Praying for an injury free season! Last season took 10 years off my life! I really do pray that he lands both of his quads consistently this season because he needs to land both quads to stay ahead of the pack.

yuki

Final Flight
Crown Hanyu king off the men. Wow, what an amazing program Though Javier has more natural charm, and if scored fairly Chan has superior skating skills his program is unbeatable if he lands everything or close to. Chan is missing an axel and quad. Javier is too inconsistent. Denis Ten doesn't quite have it all. And Kovutun and the Americans all have major deficiencies or inconsistencies.

When has Chan ever been scored unfairly?
Of all the skaters you could have said that about...

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
When has Chan ever been scored unfairly?
Of all the skaters you could have said that about...

I would think it's more an 'if' regarding next season, not because Patrick may be underscored (I doubt it) but that Yuzuru is getting to his numbers PCS-wise and they can have similar scores regardless of their individual skills. But then again, at Worlds, Javier, Yuzuru and Denis were virtually tied in PCS.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The new LP music is interesting, hopefully the program is too. It has been 4 years since Romeo + Juliet. He needs to do something that actually has soul again.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
When I clicked on the link, for some reason my computer played a trick on me and played this instead:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uh0ep_y-h-believe-meets-debussy-clair-de-lune_sport

Thanks for the link.:love: Somehow it escaped posting in the Yuzuru threads (fanfest and media). ;)

Though his costume had the colors of the powerful sun (orange and yellow), his skating there is soft, light, and delicate and suits "Clair de Lune" very well. Kudos to the video maker YzRIKO. :thumbsup:

maria!! congratz for 1500th post :cheer:

Thanks matmuh. :) I didn't realize myself until I read your post. Glad we have this forum where we can express and share our thoughts.