Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’ | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Yah. His skating doesn't LOOK feminine. He still looks like "something" whether he's skating or not.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
When has Chan ever been scored unfairly?
Of all the skaters you could have said that about...

I think Skater Boy meant that if the judges fairly compare Hanyu relative to Chan, Chan will get higher SS scores, even though Hanyu has exhibited improvement in his overall skating.

I love that music Hanyu has chosen for his LP! The program has good potential and a great build to it. It's an ambitious layout too, but good for him for trying for 3 quads. He doesn't need to put heat on the other guys, but I admire wanting to improve.

And it's smart too (assuming he doesn't wear himself out), because skaters like Fernandez have 3 quads, and skaters like Uno are up and coming and can really give him a run for his money come 2018 (Brown too, if he manages to get a consistent quad). Nam will definitely develop his skating and PCS and maybe even add a 4T (it's remarkable his current tech content and consistency). Skaters like Ten have achieved 289 with only 2 quads as well... all it takes is one really good skater to add a different quad to their repertoire and Hanyu's commanding lead could be much closer and winning won't be as sure a thing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's because Patrick's softness in skating comes across as schooled and deliberate, as something he has decided to use. Yuzuru's speed and sharpness are often tempered by a unique innate softness. At least that's how I see it.

Part of it is because Chan's knees are softer and he bends them as he skates, and as a result he's able to get deeper edges and more of a sweeping/flowing quality. I do like how Hanyu has a strong elegance to him but I find sometimes when he's prepping for elements his overall skating quality diminishes and he could do a better job maintaining his flow and carriage throughout his performance.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And it's smart too (assuming he doesn't wear himself out), because skaters like Fernandez have 3 quads, and skaters like Uno are up and coming and can really give him a run for his money come 2018 (Brown too, if he manages to get a consistent quad). Nam will definitely develop his skating and PCS and maybe even add a 4T (it's remarkable his current tech content and consistency). Skaters like Ten have achieved 289 with only 2 quads as well... all it takes is one really good skater to add a different quad to their repertoire and Hanyu's commanding lead could be much closer and winning won't be as sure a thing.
As if adding another type of quad is as easy as it sounds. How many time a strong man like Javi executed cleanly his 3 quads program? How many times a strong man like Patrick got clean with his two quad toe? Or Denis? The last time for Javi it was like... GPF 2012? More quads mean more falls and more struggles. I don't think I can see Yuzuru get clean with 3 quads. This sounds crazy.

More quads, more splat fest. :scowl: It applies for all men.

Last edited:

yuki

Final Flight
I think Skater Boy meant that if the judges fairly compare Hanyu relative to Chan, Chan will get higher SS scores, even though Hanyu has exhibited improvement in his overall skating.

This has always been the case. Yuzuru has never received higher SS scores than Patrick, not even that one time when he got higher PCS overall (GPF 13-14 SP). The poster I was replying to seemed to imply that when he returns, Patrick will somehow be in danger of being underscored and I find that hard to believe.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As if adding another type of quad is as easy as it sounds. How many time a strong man like Javi executed cleanly his 3 quads program? How many times a strong man like Patrick got clean with his two quad toe? Or Denis? The last time for Javi it was like... GPF 2012? More quads mean more falls and more struggles. I don't think I can see Yuzuru get clean with 3 quads. This sounds crazy.

It isn't easy - he's challenging himself. But it's also about having the content in there, so even if you make a mistake on one of the three quads (assuming you don't pop it), it's still worth more than a triple. And as far as the last time Javi did three clean quads... Worlds 2014. http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/wc2014_Men_FS_Scores.pdf And the last time Patrick did both quad toes cleanly was GPF 2014 http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/gpf1314_Men_FS_Scores.pdf - and Patrick was very consistent with his quad toes, it was his 3A and other silly errors that were the problem... if anything it's the two quad toes and the GOE/consistency on it that allowed him to win so many competitions (much like Hanyu's 3A consistency).

More quads, more splat fest. :scowl: It applies for all men.

Riiight. So why even attempt any quads? And remove the 3A at that. No more splat fests at all. Problem solved.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I like that he's humble and sees himself as needing to catch up to Chan, who he had already beaten at the most crucial competition of all: the Olympics. Such a humble guy. Now hopefully he will remain injury free and land his jumps cleanly. Admittedly I'm not always the biggest fan of his skating but I enjoy reading his interviews because he's gracious and seems genuinely kind. Much respect to Hanyu.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It isn't easy - he's challenging himself. But it's also about having the content in there, so even if you make a mistake on one of the three quads (assuming you don't pop it), it's still worth more than a triple. And as far as the last time Javi did three clean quads... Worlds 2014. http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/wc2014_Men_FS_Scores.pdf And the last time Patrick did both quad toes cleanly was GPF 2014 http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/gpf1314_Men_FS_Scores.pdf - and Patrick was very consistent with his quad toes, it was his 3A and other silly errors that were the problem... if anything it's the two quad toes and the GOE/consistency on it that allowed him to win so many competitions (much like Hanyu's 3A consistency).
Riiight. So why even attempt any quads? And remove the 3A at that. No more splat fests at all. Problem solved.
I mean the last time they execute cleanly everything in their programs, not just the quads.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I mean the last time they execute cleanly everything in their programs, not just the quads.

And how do you want to know that would happen so much more often without the quads?

I get being worried for Yuzuru, but he has a great team, and by now I think Orser's got a way better understanding of how to work with him. And Yuzuru is going to repeat the 4T - except for last season, his 4T is really consistent.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He's got the next Olympics on his mind. So he feels he needs to put 3 quads in now so that they will be more steady at the Olympics. (my theory)

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
He's got the next Olympics on his mind. So he feels he needs to put 3 quads in now so that they will be more steady at the Olympics. (my theory)

Given how he said lately for him it's "only 3 years left to the Olympics" your point seems very likely. He's also doing the 4Lo in shows, so he might want to get that in for the Olympics too... since adding a new jump in the Olmypic season seems unlikely, the plan might be get used to 3 quads in 2015-2016, change the first 4T to a 4Lo in 2016-17. Although the 2nd part might depend on how the first half is going.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Newsflash: even with 2 quads, most skaters haven't ever executed a clean program, let alone recently. Even with one quad many skaters struggle to skate cleanly. It isn't about just those jumps passes. They expend energy, but in many cases errors are made because the skater simply makes an error.

And also a very small percentage of skaters in the quad/CoP era have ever executed a clean SP+LP that included quads. If you don't want to see a splatfest, maybe you should just re-watch pre-CoP competitions when elements/programs were less demanding, difficulty wasn't as high, and clean programs were a dime a dozen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And as far as the last time Javi did three clean quads... Worlds 2014.

The second quad was not clean.

If you don't want to see a splatfest, maybe you should just re-watch pre-CoP competitions when elements/programs were less demanding, difficulty wasn't as high, and clean programs were a dime a dozen.

Back at it with the Cinquanta logic, I see.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
While I was reading the article, I kept thinking that Yuzu and Denis, as a second business, could open a fortune cookie shop and pedal their wisdom to the masses.
:laugh2: Really though, they are very thoughtful guys. They look at their programs from as many angles as possible to see how it will look to the audience and how it relates to themselves.

In another interview, Yuzu said that he wasn't a Samurai type, more of a kind of guy who could do women's roles in theater (Onnagata)...but had the heart of samurai.
Therefore, he's chosen to portray an Onmyoji, Seimei, who has drawn similarities between Merlin from Arthurian legends.

Most spectators will just see the program and think, 'That's a nice Asian-ish program' but there is an interesting background too.

Hanyu's LP choice has such interesting potential. Always wanted him to do something more original and Japanese grass root/folk with less cliched program/costume. (It is certainly better than another 'Firebird/Carmen/Swanlake')

Hope he won't stuck with generic figure skating choreography that COP skating tends to breed and focus too much on the jumps and generic movements just get from one element to the next for shameless number crunching. I hate interesting choices get bogged down with unoriginal poseography that has little relevance to the music intention, or original interpretation. It destroys any creativity, originality and integrity of the music.

I still think a grand edit of the themes from the 'One Piece' OST can make a kick *** original SUPER STAR 'legendary' type of program! It can be so much fun and totally epic. I can't think of anyone do better justice with a better fit than Hanyu. Free spirited upstarter that want to be the king of pirates (skaters) with as many Gomu Gomu nooooo~ quads as possible.

Last edited:
... If you don't want to see a splatfest, maybe you should just re-watch pre-CoP competitions when elements/programs were less demanding, difficulty wasn't as high, and clean programs were a dime a dozen.

I think they had a pretty good balance back in the days of Yagudin, Plushenko, and Goebel. Two quads (or three in Goebel's case), no falls, a bunch of triple jumps and combinations (including triple Axels), nice moves in the field, interesting and exciting choreography (OK, not so much for Goebel). Maybe not so busy in terms of transitions -- but then again, much of what skaters do now does not really support the program anyway.

Rissa

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/euzakiusa/status...233344/video/1
https://twitter.com/euzakiusa/status...072640/video/1
https://twitter.com/euzakiusa/status...660992/video/1
https://twitter.com/euzakiusa/status...929792/video/1

More clips of Yuzu practicing the choreography of SEIMEI. It's looking better and better.
He's bringing out the influences of the music much more in these clips.

He will perform his program in the next Fantasy on Ice shows I think. Starting tomorrow.

[SUB]:cough: links don't work :cough:[/SUB]

Rissa

Record Breaker
weird :confused: try these. For whatever reason, those links still work for me

These are fine. I think the reason the ones above don't work is that they've been copypasted and contain dots instead of the full addresses.

Interesting to see the developement of the program!