Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’ | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’

Interspectator

Record Breaker
While I was reading the article, I kept thinking that Yuzu and Denis, as a second business, could open a fortune cookie shop and pedal their wisdom to the masses.
:laugh2: Really though, they are very thoughtful guys. They look at their programs from as many angles as possible to see how it will look to the audience and how it relates to themselves.

In another interview, Yuzu said that he wasn't a Samurai type, more of a kind of guy who could do women's roles in theater (Onnagata)...but had the heart of samurai.
Therefore, he's chosen to portray an Onmyoji, Seimei, who has drawn similarities between Merlin from Arthurian legends.

Most spectators will just see the program and think, 'That's a nice Asian-ish program' but there is an interesting background too.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
While I was reading the article, I kept thinking that Yuzu and Denis, as a second business, could open a fortune cookie shop and pedal their wisdom to the masses.
:laugh2: Really though, they are very thoughtful guys. They look at their programs from as many angles as possible to see how it will look to the audience and how it relates to themselves.

In another interview, Yuzu said that he wasn't a Samurai type, more of a kind of guy who could do women's roles in theater (Onnagata)...but had the heart of samurai.
Therefore, he's chosen to portray an Onmyoji, Seimei, who has drawn similarities between Merlin from Arthurian legends.

Most spectators will just see the program and think, 'That's a nice Asian-ish program' but there is an interesting background too.

And he is right...he does not have that stereotypical strong masculine vibe that skaters like Javi, Denis, and Patrick can maybe (relatively) pull off. But he has a unique quality that those other skaters also cannot easily portray either. It's nice to see a skater who has the maturity and self-awareness to identify their strength and weaknesses and use it to improve. Other skaters are quick to fault rivals and even the sport itself but could take a page from Hanyu and Denis on taking the time to turn a critical eye on themselves.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I felt injured reading his list of injuries this past season, what a recap. This season is going to be so exciting, so many high level skaters competing woooo

Yuzuru's new LP looks pretty good, the layback ina bauer during the choreographic sequence is repetitive but I like the overall feel and I look forward to the finished product

Ophelia

Record Breaker
And he is right...he does not have that stereotypical strong masculine vibe that skaters like Javi, Denis, and Patrick can maybe (relatively) pull off. But he has a unique quality that those other skaters also cannot easily portray either. It's nice to see a skater who has the maturity and self-awareness to identify their strength and weaknesses and use it to improve. Other skaters are quick to fault rivals and even the sport itself but could take a page from Hanyu and Denis on taking the time to turn a critical eye on themselves.

Don't think Patrick has that strong, bold, masculine vibe. His skating always struck me as feminine and soft.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Don't think Patrick has that strong, bold, masculine vibe. His skating always struck me as feminine and soft.

I've never heard that before. :shocked:

Patrick doesn't seem overly masculine or feminine or androgynous to me. He's just Patrick.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Really? I mean, he usually pick characters or music that doesn´t demand him to be really masculine guy. But he could pull it off. Contrary to Yuzuru who really looks delicate, Patrick has a more traditional masculine look, not femenine at all IMHO.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Really? I mean, he usually pick characters or music that doesn´t demand him to be really masculine guy. But he could pull it off. Contrary to Yuzuru who really looks delicate, Patrick has a more traditional masculine look, not femenine at all IMHO.

I see Patrick as very masculine. If he and Yuzu were together Patrick would be, you know, the man.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I see Patrick as very masculine. If he and Yuzu were together Patrick would be, you know, the man.

I think Hanyu describes it really well when he mentions "onnagata" (men who impersonate women in kabuki theatre). I know women were not allowed in theater in Shakespeare's time but it's interesting to know it was the same way in Japan with kabuki theater. Some men can pull it off while others can't. It is a certain delicacy and softness that are traditionally and stereotypically associated with women. I love what Hanyu says that although he might have those qualities, it does not mean that he does not also have a strong will and determination.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I think Hanyu describes it really well when he mentions "onnagata" (men who impersonate women in kabuki theatre). I know women were not allowed in theater in Shakespeare's time but it's interesting to know it was the same way in Japan with kabuki theater. Some men can pull it off while others can't. It is a certain delicacy and softness that are traditionally and stereotypically associated with women. I love what Hanyu says that although he might have those qualities, it does not mean that he does not also have a strong will and determination.

Of course! I was just being funny. But for me, it depends I what program Yuzu is doing. I thought be was masculine in Parisienne Walkways and Chopin (and R+J1.0). His other programs I see him not as feminine but androgynous. From the "Seimei" clips this far, I think he's masculine more than anything. Not that I care about how "masculine" or "feminine" he appears to be. I love his skating regardless. :laugh:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
It seems that as his quad sal becomes more consistent, quad toe is less. :drama:

A bit off topic. I actually always wondered. Is quad sal less physically demanding as toe ? If ladies are trying quad they always go for salchow. From otuside it seems too that toe is more demanding than salchow

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

They'd still both be men because they are men.

It is good to read Yuzuru's attitude. He really is a determined character. As long as it doesn't become foolhardiness,like at CoC IMO, and he over trains and gets injured or does something else destructive, he will reap even more rewards for that hardworking attitude.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
A bit off topic. I actually always wondered. Is quad sal less physically demanding as toe ? If ladies are trying quad they always go for salchow. From otuside it seems too that toe is more demanding than salchow

It varies from person to person. Usually the salchow is the first triple a skater learns.

I also remember a fluff from back in the early 90s where Scott Hamilton gave a running list of the most difficult jumps from hardest to easiest and the salchow was listed as the easiest one. Again, it varies. I'll try to find that video.

Rissa

Record Breaker

Hahaha.

So do I. Patrick's skating is highly balletic and he can infuse his movement with certain softness, but he never comes across as feminine to me, just like men dancing ballet don't come across as feminine. Yuzuru's skating is androgynous, blending the feminine kind of softess (which he emphasizes with his costumes) with masculine power which is hard to miss not only on his jumps. A lot depends on his choreography, because in Parisian Walkways most of that feminine softness was switched off.

ETA: you've said it already. :laugh: I should refrain from replying until I read all the comments.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker

I'm talking about their skating, not how they look. Despite how Hanyu looks like an anime manga ice prince, his skating has a certain lethal, intense quality to it. Super fast speed and sharp movements. Patrick's skating is very floaty and soft.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Patrick's skating is very floaty and soft.

I think it's because Patrick's softness in skating comes across as schooled and deliberate, as something he has decided to use. Yuzuru's speed and sharpness are often tempered by a unique innate softness. At least that's how I see it.