Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’ | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hanyu: ‘Failure is the stepping stone for success’

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
He's likely "retiring" after 2018, right (I can't even think about this right now; I need to prepare myself)...

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
He's likely "retiring" after 2018, right (I can't even think about this right now; I need to prepare myself)...

Yeah he is retiring after 2018, he says it all the time (thanks for the reminder, Yuzuru :scowl:). I'm not even sure he'll go to Worlds that year. But he will barely be 23, so maybe he'll decide to go for one more season afterwards, like Mao.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah he is retiring after 2018, he says it all the time (thanks for the reminder, Yuzuru :scowl:). I'm not even sure he'll go to Worlds that year. But he will barely be 23, so maybe he'll decide to go for one more season afterwards, like Mao.

I assume it would be more difficult for Hanyu to continue longer because of the jumps taking such a large toll on his body. I'm assuming that's why he has such a set retirement year in mind (since I think it's pretty rare to hear skaters say specifically when they plan to retire, especially so far in advance.)

Now that men are aiming for 3 quad programs and starting to work on the more difficult quads, it will be interesting and very sad if we see careers cut short due to long-term injury in pushing the athleticism of the sport. We'll see what happens in the next few years.

Bonesfan

On the Ice

I assume it would be more difficult for Hanyu to continue longer because of the jumps taking such a large toll on his body. I'm assuming that's why he has such a set retirement year in mind (since I think it's pretty rare to hear skaters say specifically when they plan to retire, especially so far in advance.)

Now that men are aiming for 3 quad programs and starting to work on the more difficult quads, it will be interesting and very sad if we see careers cut short due to long-term injury in pushing the athleticism of the sport. We'll see what happens in the next few years.

Yuzuru will have competed at the senior level for 8 years in 2018. Apparently even as child he liked to plan out long-term goals (which he has achieved so far). I'm not sure that 8 years as a senior would be considered a career "cut short" due to physical demands? It seems like there are other things he wants to do with his life. He'll have his degree from Waseda U in a couple of years - lots of possibilities post-retirement.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yuzuru will have competed at the senior level for 8 years in 2018. Apparently even as child he liked to plan out long-term goals (which he has achieved so far). I'm not sure that 8 years as a senior would be considered a career "cut short" due to physical demands? It seems like there are other things he wants to do with his life. He'll have his degree from Waseda U in a couple of years - lots of possibilities post-retirement.

I was moreso thinking of his age, rather than the longevity of his career. We tend to think of male skaters as being in their "prime" during their early-to-mid twenties, and I think it's relatively rare for men to retire at that point unless forced to because of injury. Then again, most skaters haven't won an OGM and been a favorite in another Olympics (since there's no telling what Hanyu's placement will be in 2018 :biggrin:) at that age, either. But I do think physical demands may play a role.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I was moreso thinking of his age, rather than the longevity of his career. We tend to think of male skaters as being in their "prime" during their early-to-mid twenties, and I think it's relatively rare for men to retire at that point unless forced to because of injury. Then again, most skaters haven't won an OGM and been a favorite in another Olympics (since there's no telling what Hanyu's placement will be in 2018 :biggrin:) at that age, either. But I do think physical demands may play a role.

He's won everything but Four Continents (and, well, a few individual Grand Prix events but we all can't be like Mao and win all of them :laugh: ). If he wins gold again in 2018...I can't even. :drama: :cheer2: Maybe he can do a Yuna and randomly come back at 2021 Worlds, blow everyone away, and go to the 2022 Games and we can have a Japanese sweep with him, Shoma, and Sota. :biggrin:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
He's won everything but Four Continents (and, well, a few individual Grand Prix events but we all can't be like Mao and win all of them :laugh: ). If he wins gold again in 2018...I can't even. :drama: :cheer2: Maybe he can do a Yuna and randomly come back at 2021 Worlds, blow everyone away, and go to the 2022 Games and we can have a Japanese sweep with him, Shoma, and Sota. :biggrin:

For 2022? That would be more of a Plushenko than a Yuna :biggrin:

yhmafan

Medalist

Maybe I could be wrong but I have a feeling that It’s just because he has learned how to dealing with it by seeing Mao, who is Japan’s another star skater that would bring major b***s to their federation, that desperately seem not to want her to be retired. He must know it and has tried to set up precautions beforehand. :biggrin:

Although I am not complaining about it as I know she comes back because she wants to. It’s all her decision and pure desire, she is an innate athlete, a fighter. Probably no one can stop her if she really wants to go retirement and I see the same mind-set in Yuzuru.

Now I am really looking forward to seeing her in competitions again. I am very happy :cheer:

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
Here is the latest broadcast performance of Yuzu's SEIMEI.
Much better in the jumps (2 quads and a 3A combo) but such awful camera work. :cry:
Anyway, it's nice to see a program improve over the weeks and it will need to improve even more to be ready in the fall.
I believe he can do it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xnhxq_faoi2015-kobe-yuzuru-hanyu_sport

It's a very good program! I like it.

And yes, the camera work is awful. I wish television stations would have a little corner camera in the upper right side corner of the screen which constantly shows the whole ice rink. I get so much out of watching fancams of competitions and get to notice things that are actually hidden when the camera is constantly shifting shots.

I think that kind of innovation would greatly educate television viewers and might help even more than showing technical numbers which is now shown on the upper left side.

Barb

Record Breaker

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's a very good program! I like it.

And yes, the camera work is awful. I wish television stations would have a little corner camera in the upper right side corner of the screen which constantly shows the whole ice rink. I get so much out of watching fancams of competitions and get to notice things that are actually hidden when the camera is constantly shifting shots.

I think that kind of innovation would greatly educate television viewers and might help even more than showing technical numbers which is now shown on the upper left side.

I was yelling at my TV (stupidly) during the broadcast. "WHOLE BODY!!"
I only want to see a close up on their face at the very beginning and at the very end.

I think Yuzu can 'finish' his movements and hold them just a little longer to get the mood of SEIMEI as it is a controlled and cool-minded Onmyouji he is depicting. And then let it rip in Choreo sequence -which he does very well.