Help with blades? Can't get used to MK Pro. | Golden Skate

Help with blades? Can't get used to MK Pro.

O_O

Spectator
Hello. Please help.
I am 50 years old. Heavy (size L). Have been skating for 10 months (started with my kids). Got my waltz, mazurka, half flip, working on the toe loop and backward 3 turns right now. Better with jumps than spinning.

I have read a lot of posts here about blades and other things. It was very helpful. When I needed to change my first blades (Capri that came with Riedell Diamond) due to almost no rocker and the fact that they kind of ruined it while sharpening (confirmed by coaches), I got MK Pro.

It has been about month and a half and I still can't get used to the new blades. Cried at the beginning because it felt like I had to relearn everything from scratch. I feel much less secure on MK blades and I lost my confidence with things I was doing just fine before e.g. jumps. The toepick is not where it was before, it is much further. I feel less stable, it is much harder to keep balance on MK. I feel like I have less contact with the ice. I see the good side of the new blades: I don't scrape the ice anymore when going backwards. Plus the pain in my heels is gone, because my weight is more forward now. I try to solve my problem by sharpening my skates more often (I go with 7/16 which gives me more grip=control) and I try to press (bend my knees) more into the ice. It helps but only a little.

As for the spins, I can't tell I really like the MK rocker. It is definitely much better than flat Capri with a ruined rocker, but it is hard to find the sweet spot quickly. Plus I obviously have other technical problems not related to blades or boots. So, I am still struggling with spinning but it slowly gets better.

So, I really feel that I want to try another blade that would give me at least a part of my confidence back. Can you please give me your thoughts? 8' radius? What blades should I try or should I just stick to MK and keep improving and fixing my skating on these? Please advise!
I wish there were demos like with skis, so I could try several blades, but, as everyone else, I will need to buy new or used ones, so I need to think twice before buying. I can't afford many tries. My goal in skating is to survive without traumas (I can´t afford it because of my three little kids) and probably to get all the single jumps and simple spins. That´s it. I really want the find the right blade/boot that I will never have to change.

UPD: Posts like this one work like a miracle. As soon as I cried it out, I started feeling better about the MK Pro. In about a week, I felt like I completely got used to them. So, it took me about 2 months and a half to adjust and get used to the MK Pro blades.
I tried Edea with MK Galaxy anyways and the boot was very weird and felt like my ankle had no support, the blade was probably fine but after 15 minutes I decided that my MK Pros had more pros than cons. From depression and wanting to quit FS, I passed to significant progress just in several days. I passed my bkw three turns and toe loop, other things also got better and consistent. I am still struggling with the spins but there is some progress, slow but steady. Thank you, everyone for your comments and support!

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Have you had a knowledgeable blade tech look at them? I found that I had a pair of Phantoms that had a weird rocker on them (confirmed by my skate tech). I've been in Phantoms for 20+ years and I was finding it difficult to get off my toe picks. Have someone knowledgeable look at the rocker of the blade and see if they are wrong. Otherwise, you can try other blades but may find you are the issue.

O_O

Spectator
Have you had a knowledgeable blade tech look at them? I found that I had a pair of Phantoms that had a weird rocker on them (confirmed by my skate tech). I've been in Phantoms for 20+ years and I was finding it difficult to get off my toe picks. Have someone knowledgeable look at the rocker of the blade and see if they are wrong. Otherwise, you can try other blades but may find you are the issue.
Yes. The guy who installed them for me is a good tech. Nothing wrong with the blades. Thanks.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello. Please help.
I am 50 years old. Heavy (size L). Have been skating for 10 months (started with my kids). Got my waltz, mazurka, half flip, working on the toe loop and backward 3 turns right now. Better with jumps than spinning.

I have read a lot of posts here about blades and other things. It was very helpful. When I needed to change my first blades (Capri that came with Riedell Diamond) due to almost no rocker and the fact that they kind of ruined it while sharpening (confirmed by coaches), I got MK Pro.

It has been about month and a half and I still can't get used to the new blades. Cried at the beginning because it felt like I had to relearn everything from scratch. I feel much less secure on MK blades and I lost my confidence with things I was doing just fine before e.g. jumps. The toepick is not where it was before, it is much further. I feel less stable, it is much harder to keep balance on MK. I feel like I have less contact with the ice. I see the good side of the new blades: I don't scrape the ice anymore when going backwards. Plus the pain in my heels is gone, because my weight is more forward now. I try to solve my problem by sharpening my skates more often (I go with 7/16 which gives me more grip=control) and I try to press (bend my knees) more into the ice. It helps but only a little.

As for the spins, I can't tell I really like the MK rocker. It is definitely much better than flat Capri with a ruined rocker, but it is hard to find the sweet spot quickly. Plus I obviously have other technical problems not related to blades or boots. So, I am still struggling with spinning but it slowly gets better.

So, I really feel that I want to try another blade that would give me at least a part of my confidence back. Can you please give me your thoughts? 8' radius? What blades should I try or should I just stick to MK and keep improving and fixing my skating on these? Please advise!
I wish there were demos like with skis, so I could try several blades, but, as everyone else, I will need to buy new or used ones, so I need to think twice before buying. I can't afford many tries. My goal in skating is to survive without traumas (I can´t afford it because of my three little kids) and probably to get all the single jumps and simple spins. That´s it. I really want the find the right blade/boot that I will never have to change.
Hello!
I'm sorry you've been struggling with your new blades. It is true that there would absolutely be a learning curve when switching from a Capri to an MK Pro. The professional freestyle does allow you to rock through more of your edge before you hit your toepick so it's very effective for jumping as it allows for better acceleration into the air. The spins would absolutely take a little more time to get used to since you'd have to be much further up on your blade than you previously did. As you get the blades sharpened more the rocker will come down a little so that the toepick feels "closer". Your skate tech should be able to maintain a factory geometry but for comfort on spins it may help to let the touch point (the point of the edge that is on the ice when the toepick touches) to move back under your foot a little more. If you find it possible to get a pair of Gold Seals by John Wilson they do have an 8 foot rocker which may make it easer to balance. They're also very good for spinning. But a cheaper option would be the MK Galaxy, which is a grade down from the Professional Freestyle, but it also has an 8 foot rocker. I think anything you get may still require a learning curve coming off of the Capris, but having that touch point further back should make spins a little more comfortable. It would be nice to have the ability to try out blades similar to skiis, I agree.
I hope some of this helps!

O_O

Spectator
Hello!
I'm sorry you've been struggling with your new blades. It is true that there would absolutely be a learning curve when switching from a Capri to an MK Pro. The professional freestyle does allow you to rock through more of your edge before you hit your toepick so it's very effective for jumping as it allows for better acceleration into the air. The spins would absolutely take a little more time to get used to since you'd have to be much further up on your blade than you previously did. As you get the blades sharpened more the rocker will come down a little so that the toepick feels "closer". Your skate tech should be able to maintain a factory geometry but for comfort on spins it may help to let the touch point (the point of the edge that is on the ice when the toepick touches) to move back under your foot a little more. If you find it possible to get a pair of Gold Seals by John Wilson they do have an 8 foot rocker which may make it easer to balance. They're also very good for spinning. But a cheaper option would be the MK Galaxy, which is a grade down from the Professional Freestyle, but it also has an 8 foot rocker. I think anything you get may still require a learning curve coming off of the Capris, but having that touch point further back should make spins a little more comfortable. It would be nice to have the ability to try out blades similar to skiis, I agree.
I hope some of this helps!
Thank you very much for your comment and explanation! I was thinking about trying Pattern 99. I know I am way under-qualified for them but I wanted to try a different rocker ( I read a lot of posts speaking about CA vs MK and how they are both good buy different) and because it has 8' radius. Is it a crazy idea? Can it be dangerous for a beginner?

And one more question. There is something strange with the new blade (left blade only). I am extremely scared to do inside 3 turns on my left foot. My coach is also saying "you are just scared! Trust yourself." but I feel that if I am off balance. Never had problems with Capri. Does this sound like a blade installation problem.

I will definitely think about MK Galaxy. That is much easier and cheaper to try.
Do you know by any chance what is the equivalent with CA rocker style.
I just did some research. I think MK galaxy is the best option and I found a great deal. Thanks again. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

O_O

Spectator
Are you on a temporary mount? Is it possible the blade screws are a bit loose?
No. He was planning temporary mount but, for some reason, he just went ahead with permanent mount. He also said he did just a tiny bit of a toe-in. I was upset about that as I have zero over-pronation. Thanks for talking to me. I think I will go back to him and will ask to do something about this.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thank you very much for your comment and explanation! I was thinking about trying Pattern 99. I know I am way under-qualified for them but I wanted to try a different rocker ( I read a lot of posts speaking about CA vs MK and how they are both good buy different) and because it has 8' radius. Is it a crazy idea? Can it be dangerous for a beginner?

And one more question. There is something strange with the new blade (left blade only). I am extremely scared to do inside 3 turns on my left foot. My coach is also saying "you are just scared! Trust yourself." but I feel that if I am off balance. Never had problems with Capri. Does this sound like a blade installation problem.

I will definitely think about MK Galaxy. That is much easier and cheaper to try.
Do you know by any chance what is the equivalent with CA rocker style.
I just did some research. I think MK galaxy is the best option and I found a great deal. Thanks again. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Traditional Pattern 99 may be the best option if you want to treat yourself to the super nice equipment! Absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things. The 8 foot rocker will keep more blade contact with the ice and it has a less aggressive secondary rocker (how sharply you rock from the ball of your foot to the toe pick) so that would help keep your touch point more under your foot as well.
As far as your left foot is going it could be that the blade needs to be slightly shifted, or it could simply be an imbalance in your body since everyone has a favored side for things and the blade may bring that imbalance out. That's honestly something I couldn't tell you here though.
CA does have a 7 foot rocker but the secondary rocker is subtle, which would still be good. I'm not sure what the secondary rockers are on the MKs, I'd have to measure them individually, but the secondary rocker is also something a skilled technician can adjust on any blade. I think the Galaxies may be the best cost effective option though, a little more of an intermediary between the Capris and the Professionals. Hope they work out! :)

Elenea

Rinkside
Hi,
I can feel you, I hated the MK Pros fiercly. Never got used to them and after two frustrating months I switched them out.
I never found my toe picks and they felt simply unstable, like rocking chairs beneath my boots.
If you want an 8" blade take a look at the Jackson Legacy 8. It's way more flat than the MK Pro but really stable. Finding the sweet spot was hard first, but I felt a lot safer overall and that boost in confidence makes a huge difference for learning new things.

Reactions: O_O

O_O

Spectator

Do you know by any chance what is the equivalent with CA rocker style. :)

Hi,
I can feel you, I hated the MK Pros fiercly. Never got used to them and after two frustrating months I switched them out.
I never found my toe picks and they felt simply unstable, like rocking chairs beneath my boots.
If you want an 8" blade take a look at the Jackson Legacy 8. It's way more flat than the MK Pro but really stable. Finding the sweet spot was hard first, but I felt a lot safer overall and that boost in confidence makes a huge difference for learning new things.
Oh, Thank you! It really helps me feel better (even though it might be me not the blades. :)) Yes, I was looking for Legacy 8 as well. Can´t find any second hand in good condition. So true about confidence. My new blades came together with a strange coach who was able to make quite a few students cry or at least feel horrible about themselves (there is a rotation at our club and I mostly learn in group lessons. I just steal 10 minutes here an there from my kids´ privates) . I was about to quit.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I went from a Jackson Legacy 8 to Coro Aces, and it was a huge adjustment. I spent 4-6 hours week on the ice, and it took me over 3 weeks to get some of my jumps back. My spins are still rough, but my spins have always been my worst element (that I dont practice enough). 8s are flatter, and I found them harder to spin on than 7s.

This is what helped me adjust to my new blades: I spent the first couple sessions doing mostly edge work. Lots of it. Crossovers, slaloms, figure 8s with all my edges. I did spins from a 2 foot stance, just pulling in. Again and again and again.

I also dropped 3/4" in blade size due to boot changes, so it took me a good 2 weeks to get to about 80% of my previous level. Toe loops came back easy, but they're one of my best jumps, salchow took me 4 weeks. I am also not a true beginner, I've come back to the spot after years away, so that probably helped me adjust more quickly.

O_O

Spectator
I went from a Jackson Legacy 8 to Coro Aces, and it was a huge adjustment. I spent 4-6 hours week on the ice, and it took me over 3 weeks to get some of my jumps back. My spins are still rough, but my spins have always been my worst element (that I dont practice enough). 8s are flatter, and I found them harder to spin on than 7s.

This is what helped me adjust to my new blades: I spent the first couple sessions doing mostly edge work. Lots of it. Crossovers, slaloms, figure 8s with all my edges. I did spins from a 2 foot stance, just pulling in. Again and again and again.

I also dropped 3/4" in blade size due to boot changes, so it took me a good 2 weeks to get to about 80% of my previous level. Toe loops came back easy, but they're one of my best jumps, salchow took me 4 weeks. I am also not a true beginner, I've come back to the spot after years away, so that probably helped me adjust more quickly.
Thank you for your response. It has been almost 2 months for me. I am telling myself that a good skater can skate on any blade. just looking at those old videos, I feel ashamed because I can only imagine how far from easy and perfect were those skates and blades. On the other side, I am asking myself if I really want to struggle longer. Is it worth it? I am 50. I want to find a blade that I won´t need to change ever again till I quit FS. Maybe, it is better to adjust now to some other good blade, not the one that feels so wrong at this moment. Do you see my point? I really like your story and I always admire persistent and determined people! I think I will take a chance and will check out a couple of other blades. I purchased this morning used Edea with MK galaxy in good shape. I will keep my fingers crossed and will put an update once I try them.

Elenea

Rinkside
Do not torture yourself with equipment. Yes, a "good" skater might adjust to anything, But how do you define good? I am able to jump double salchows which never seemed possible when I started and for some this may look "good" or at least advanced. But I could not deal with MK Pros and after I tried for weeks I just deemed it not worth it.
There is no "one equipment for all" in figure skating. Just because 95% of skaters like MK Pros or Coronation Aces, you dont have to like them. They dont have to work for you. And that is okay and normal and nothing to be ashamend of.
Figure skating for us should be fun. It is great that you are able to learn figure skating at your age! I found it hard enough to start in my late teens and I do not know if I would have been able to start around 50. So that is a great achievment already.
Good look with trying the MK Galaxy blades (will you try them with the Edea boots? Riedell to Edea is a huge difference in heel height) and hoping you find your perfect blade soon.

O_O

Spectator
Do not torture yourself with equipment. Yes, a "good" skater might adjust to anything, But how do you define good? I am able to jump double salchows which never seemed possible when I started and for some this may look "good" or at least advanced. But I could not deal with MK Pros and after I tried for weeks I just deemed it not worth it.
There is no "one equipment for all" in figure skating. Just because 95% of skaters like MK Pros or Coronation Aces, you dont have to like them. They dont have to work for you. And that is okay and normal and nothing to be ashamend of.
Figure skating for us should be fun. It is great that you are able to learn figure skating at your age! I found it hard enough to start in my late teens and I do not know if I would have been able to start around 50. So that is a great achievment already.
Good look with trying the MK Galaxy blades (will you try them with the Edea boots? Riedell to Edea is a huge difference in heel height) and hoping you find your perfect blade soon.
Thank you! Doubles are definitely advanced in my eyes! (at least at this moment, haha). I am curious what blades do you like/skate on?

I have heard that Edea boots are very different, and I am very excited to try them. I really want to try things now, I don´t have time to wait. )) Actually, MK Pro made a huge difference, because of the stanchion height. The heel is elevated. It is curious how my pain was immediately gone after I got them. I was sure I had plantar fasciitis, because of our tile floor my weight and my age. Now the pressure point is much more forward, it is the balls of my foot. No more heel pain.

FS is such a roller coaster: one day I cry and want to quit, next day is good and I feel satisfied. Today was good! And this conversation helped me a lot!

Elenea

Rinkside
I skate on Jackson Legacy 8 right now. I heard that about the stanchion height perhaps that is what made it worse for me. Jackson boots come with a tall heel already.
Oh yes, sometimes it is really frustrating and other times so satisfying. But not skating is not an option. Currently I am recovering from a bad ankle injury and could not skate for nearly 3 months and I miss it terribly.

O_O

Spectator
I skate on Jackson Legacy 8 right now. I heard that about the stanchion height perhaps that is what made it worse for me. Jackson boots come with a tall heel already.
Oh yes, sometimes it is really frustrating and other times so satisfying. But not skating is not an option. Currently I am recovering from a bad ankle injury and could not skate for nearly 3 months and I miss it terribly.
I wish you a fast recovery! "Not skating is not an option" - I like that.