How long does it take to learn a double toe loop? | Golden Skate

How long does it take to learn a double toe loop?

Janisxi

Spectator
Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As long as it personally takes you. And as long as it takes for your coach to be able to teach you and get you to obtain the proper techniques needed.

tinna

Spectator
I can do a double toe loop off ice with no problem - it is always a good solid, fully rotated toe loop.
However, as I have yet to land my double loop, my coach does not want me to even try a double toe loop on the ice.
I am more of an edge jumper and she prefers that I learn my doubles in the order of first Sal (which I have landed but not consistent) double loop (understated but working on), only then moving to toe loop and finally flip.
I am prepared for this to take a few years, and also prepared for it to never happen, as I am 45 this year.
I guess it will take the time it will basically. Don't get discouraged or frustrated! You will get there. Enjoy your skating without fixating on a goal too much.

k8a

Rinkside
I think the most important thing is to realise that on ice and off ice are very different and not to get discouraged if you can't do it on the ice even though you can off ice.

macy

Record Breaker
toe loops off ice are very different than on ice (given you are being taught correctly). off ice you have to toe axel them basically in order to get the rotation, since you have no glide or momentum. you should not be doing them on ice this way.

Emily98

Rinkside
I don't think there is such a thing as a "normal" learning time, because it depends on so many factors (your experience and physical strength, your coach, how much ice time per week you have, what kind of off-ice conditioning you do etc). However it is always a long process so don't get too frustrated! From my experience: I landed my first 2T about 5 months after I started working on double jumps, but still don't consistently rotate or land it now (about 1 year after first attempt), although the success rate is slowly getting higher.