I, Tonya | Page 31 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
I finally saw "I Tonya" tonight! I'll write a full review tomorrow but, the general feeling from the Men who saw it.....Tonya got a raw deal. The Ladies, not so much. I'm somewhere in the middle. It's very hard for me to judge because I had Parents who cared enough about me to pull me from regular high school when I was bullied and threatened to quit.

Rather than look for comfort in the arms of someone else, I didn't date at all. I used to say that I was married to dancing and I didn't care if I had a life outside of it. I think that's why my life turned out differently, my Parents. I swear I don't know how Tonya ever got as far as she did. Every time she got herself off the ground, she seemed to go the wrong direction. I'm glad that she was able to find love and I truly hope that she's happy. I will say this much......I WANT to feel sorry for her but, I just can't. More later.

that's a movie's idea

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Saw the film tonight rented from Netflix. It was great fun. Not a dull or wasted moment. They present Tonya as innocent of the whack and at the time I believed she was. I was a fan of hers so perhaps that's why. I spent a lot of time defending her to my friends who loathed her. Anon....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saw the film tonight rented from Netflix. It was great fun. Not a dull or wasted moment. They present Tonya as innocent of the whack and at the time I believed she was. I was a fan of hers so perhaps that's why. I spent a lot of time defending her to my friends who loathed her. Anon....

Oooh, it's on Netflix?

^^ I see you can now rent it on iTunes as well. I was thinking of doing that...but haven't had time, what having all this live coverage of a certain competition this past week. I'll get to it sometime during the long off season ahead. ;)

lesnar001

Record Breaker

I believed she was innocent at the time too - but part of that may have been that I was tired of all the fawning attention on Nancy by the local Boston media.

If only I had known the REAL story back then --- "Tooney-Can" Arena indeed

Also loved the movie very much - was hoping Margot Robbie would get the Oscar

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I believed she was innocent at the time too - but part of that may have been that I was tired of all the fawning attention on Nancy by the local Boston media.

If only I had known the REAL story back then --- "Tooney-Can" Arena indeed

Also loved the movie very much - was hoping Margot Robbie would get the Oscar

Yes the note with her handwriting on it was hard to overlook unless she was duped into providing it. Who knows. Perversely perhaps, I still like Tonya. Go figure.

After the fact I think Robbie deserved it. Someone said Janney gave a one-note performance and I totally disagree. The woman had a predominant character trait and the actress nailed it.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Yes the note with her handwriting on it was hard to overlook unless she was duped into providing it. Who knows. Perversely perhaps, I still like Tonya. Go figure.

After the fact I think Robbie deserved it. Someone said Janney gave a one-note performance and I totally disagree. The woman had a predominant character trait and the actress nailed it.

Alison Janney was fantastic - such a great performance - I wonder who criticized her - maybe Tonya's mother:laugh:
I can't help liking Tonya - but I still can't determine exactly how much she was involved with the whole thing and any interview she gives certainly doesn't help.
Such a shame that a great talent as hers was ultimately wasted - granted a lot of that was of her own doing.
She and Midori Ito were so far ahead of their time.

Star Lane

Rinkside
Saw it a month ago in the theatre. I completely agree with those praising Janney’s performance. I didn’t see Alison at all. I saw LaVona. And she gave some layers to an abusive monster which is hard to do.

I was a fan of Tonya’s back in the day, and I didn’t believe she was in on the whack. To an extent, I still don’t. I suspect all the information and evidence was right in front of her and she turned a blind eye, refused to believe it or didn’t take them seriously. She was doing her own thing and not paying much attention to what those idiots were up to.

However, I think she knew who was responsible the second she heard about it. And she realized that she should have known all along.

noskates

Record Breaker
Just saw it on NetFlix tonight. Allison Janney was fabulous. The story was cheesy IMO but then - the story was cheesy. I'll wager that when Tanya agreed to this movie she didn't realize it was going to be presented as a comedy fraught with stupid people doing really stupid things. Did she plan the whack? No. But was she innocent? NO. I was never really a fan of her skating. She was very athletic but didn't have a graceful bone in her body and her attitude was terrible. But I will give her credit for accomplishing what she did in skating given the horrible childhood she had. Like she says "skating was all she had!" It also didn't help my opinion that when she did the interview about when the film came out she showed absolutely no remorse, still had a giant chip on her shoulder, and still thought of herself as the innocent victim and everything that happened to her was caused by someone else.

As for the film - every other word started with a big capital F which wasn't really necessary and was more gratuitous than contributory to the dialog. I'm just glad I didn't pay money to see this in the theatre.

fenway3

On the Ice
She was very athletic but didn't have a graceful bone in her body

Have you seen her some of her earlier exhibition programs from around, say, 1987? She was channeling her inner "Rosalynn Sumners" fairly well, I think. She also might have benefited from stuff like ballet training, which I don't think she ever had. Besides, what does it matter even if a female skater isn't graceful? Do we say the same thing about the men? "Oh, he landed some fabulous quads, but he just wasn't graceful!" ;) There are many ways to be artistic, for both men and women.

As for the film - every other word started with a big capital F which wasn't really necessary and was more gratuitous than contributory to the dialog. I'm just glad I didn't pay money to see this in the theatre.

That's what I've heard. It sounds like the language was really overdone, which is a shame. Tonya even said that she never cussed the way Robbie's character does in the movie.

I was also wondering about this. Robbie is a good bit taller than Tonya. But is that noticeable in her performances in the movie?

noskates

Record Breaker
Tonya was extremely athletic but I would not use the adjectives smooth, flowing, or grace for her skating. Just my opinion. And I agree that ballet training would have been good. To me it matters if a female skater has certain qualities that at least make them look feminine on the ice.

And as for the language, I don't for a minute believe that Tonya never cussed and didn't cuss significantly. I just basically don't believe much that she says in general.

I didn't notice that Margot was taller than Tonya although Tonya was pretty short - 5'1" I think. I wondered who actually did the skating in the movie. Watched all the credits but it never said. Maybe it's been identified in this thread and I missed it in the last 40 pages. Anybody know?

fenway3

On the Ice
Tonya was extremely athletic but I would not use the adjectives smooth, flowing, or grace for her skating. Just my opinion. And I agree that ballet training would have been good. To me it matters if a female skater has certain qualities that at least make them look feminine on the ice.

Why does a female skater need to look specifically "feminine"? Tonya liked to hunt, fish, race and repair cars, play pool at bars, etc. Are those considered typically "feminine" activities? ;) So, why should a tomboy like her have to go for a "fake" look on the ice that doesn't represent what she's really all about? When it comes to a female skater's artistry, isn't "genuine" more important than "feminine"? Yes, the rules of skating apply to everyone, so Tonya needed certain qualities in her skating (many of which she possessed) like everyone else. But I just don't understand the need to make someone like her over into some kind of boring, stereotypical "feminine" robot.

We don't do that with other kinds of female artists. For instance, no one ever says of a female novelist, "Well, that was a great novel, but her writing and themes just weren't very feminine or ladylike. I expected more knights in shining armor and damsels in distress, along with frilly, elegant sentences." :laugh:

It seems that Tonya fit into the world of figure skating about as well as Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer and Hermey the elf initially fit in at Christmas Town on the North Pole. In fact, this short dialogue between Hermey and the head elf pretty much mirrors Tonya's reception:

Hermey: But I just thought I'd find a way to—to fit in.

Head Elf: You'll never fit in!

Now you come to elf practice, learn how to wiggle your ears, chuckle warmly, go "hee-hee" and "ho-ho," and important stuff like that.

A dentist! Good grief!

And as for the language, I don't for a minute believe that Tonya never cussed and didn't cuss significantly. I just basically don't believe much that she says in general.

Maybe my phrasing wasn't clear enough. Tonya never said she didn't cuss—just that she didn't cuss to the extent they have her doing in the movie. In other words, she didn't cuss 5 times in an average sentence. I can believe that.

I didn't notice that Margot was taller than Tonya although Tonya was pretty short - 5'1" I think.

Apparently Robbie is 5'6", and I think Tonya was about 5'. Of course, as we get older, our height tends to shrink a bit.

I wondered who actually did the skating in the movie. Watched all the credits but it never said. Maybe it's been identified in this thread and I missed it in the last 40 pages. Anybody know?

Robbie did the basic skating, but others did the jumps, I believe. It would be interesting to know their heights as well.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Have you seen her some of her earlier exhibition programs from around, say, 1987? She was channeling her inner "Rosalynn Sumners" fairly well, I think. She also might have benefited from stuff like ballet training, which I don't think she ever had. Besides, what does it matter even if a female skater isn't graceful? Do we say the same thing about the men? "Oh, he landed some fabulous quads, but he just wasn't graceful!" ;) There are many ways to be artistic, for both men and women.

That's what I've heard. It sounds like the language was really overdone, which is a shame. Tonya even said that she never cussed the way Robbie's character does in the movie.

I was also wondering about this. Robbie is a good bit taller than Tonya. But is that noticeable in her performances in the movie?
To me, I could see the height difference. It was very obvious to me. Margot was like Polina Edmunds on the ice, obviously taller and larger than most figure skaters. Tonya is almost legally a little person depending on which definition one uses.

fenway3

On the Ice
To me, I could see the height difference. It was very obvious to me. Margot was like Polina Edmunds on the ice, obviously taller and larger than most figure skaters. Tonya is almost legally a little person depending on which definition one uses.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I watched the movie tonight. All in all I really liked it, just vaguely remembering the "incident" as a) I was too young b) it was bigger news in America, I guess. I think they spent too much time on that weird bodyguard, though, and not enough on skating. I would loved a more detailed history of the young Tonya and how she got to the bigger competitions. And is it for real that she was working as a waitress during her later career? As soon as she won big medals, didn't the american fed help? What about travelling internationally? And the rink? In one scene it looks like she is training in a shopping mall, in an earlier scene it seems to be a normal rink. (Yes, I know this is a fictional movie based on real events)

Scout

Final Flight
I didn't notice that Margot was taller than Tonya although Tonya was pretty short - 5'1" I think. I wondered who actually did the skating in the movie. Watched all the credits but it never said. Maybe it's been identified in this thread and I missed it in the last 40 pages. Anybody know?

Heidi Munger and Anna Malkova acted as skating doubles. There were several articles on icenetwork discussing the movie and the doubles. Heidi mentioned that she was more similar to Margot's build/height that Tonya's. I don't know how tall Anna is.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/20/262171988/inside-edge-munger-cherishes-i-tonya-experience

saphire

On the Ice
I watched the movie tonight. All in all I really liked it, just vaguely remembering the "accident" as a) I was too young b) it was bigger news in America, I guess. I think they spent too much time on that weird bodyguard, though, and not enough on skating. I would loved a more detailed history of the young Tonya and how she got to the bigger competitions. And is it for real that she was working as a waitress during her later career? As soon as she won big medals, didn't the american fed help? What about travelling internationally? And the rink? In one scene it looks like she is training in a shopping mall, in an earlier scene it seems to be a normal rink. (Yes, I know this is a fictional movie based on real events)

I have debated watching it. I don't like the domestic violence content plus I was alive and remember when all this actually happened.