I Wish They Would Give More Importance To The Spiral! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I Wish They Would Give More Importance To The Spiral!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The thing about the spiral is that it is (perhaps the only?) move that is unique to figure skating. Higher, faster, stronger? We don't need figure skating for that. Pole vaulters jump higher, race car drivers go faster, weight lifters are stronger.

Second, the layback spin. IMHO the moves that we should most cherish are those that define figure skating as a sport.
Both of these moves/positions exist in dance and we could argue they do also in rhythmic gymnastics/ gymnastics (women can perform turns with their leg extended on the beam or on the floor), even in artistic swimming when it comes to the spiral... yeah.. it's upside down with head under the water, but it does require a lot of the same skills, flexibility, balance and core strength

Both of these moves/positions exist in dance and we could argue they do also in rhythmic gymnastics/ gymnastics (women can perform turns with their leg extended on the beam or on the floor), even in artistic swimming when it comes to the spiral... yeah.. it's upside down with head under the water, but it does require a lot of the same skills, flexibility, balance and core strength
Still..."performing turns with a leg extended" is not a spiral. A spiral as it is understood in figure skating is a long continuous glide (with no input of further energy than the initial push) in a contracting circle controled by edges biting into a more-or-less frictionless surface. True, the skater tries to maintain a pleasing upper body and arm position, but this is kind of irrelevant to the definition of a spiral, to me.

I agree that spinning is not so unique to figure skating.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Still..."performing turns with a leg extended" is not a spiral. A spiral as it is understood in figure skating is a long continuous glide (with no input of further energy than the initial push) in a contracting circle controled by edges biting into a more-or-less frictionless surface. True, the skater tries to maintain a pleasing upper body and arm position, but this is kind of irrelevant to the definition of a spiral, to me.

I agree that spinning is not so unique to figure skating.

I am aware of that.... but the simple fact is that it came from arabesque, a dance move... and as a matter of fact, it is called as such in French :)

I guess there is nothing new under the sun. Here is a nice combination spin. It starts out with a move inspired by a pommel horse rputine, then achievs a scratch spin and a cannonball sit spin position.

As for the spiral, not all spirals in figure skating are in debt to the arabesque position in dance. Spread eagles, Ina Bauers, Charlottes, fan and I-spirals, they are all spirals. To me, it is a blade to ice skill. If we want to ascribe an origin, I would hazzard that it is simply gliding across an ice surface, holding an edge, and then embellishing the accomplishment by asuuming intersesting positions or throwing in a change of edge.

(OK, the Charlotte is a penchant arabesque. You got me there.)

^ :love:

By the way, I notice that both of these spiral sequences include a Charlotte. If I remember my skating lore correctly, it was in the 2001-2002 season that both Sasha and Michelle brought back the long dormant Charlotte variation (featured in both of the clips). There was a little minor tempest among rival fans as to which of them did it first and deserved credit for inventing the move. :laugh:

(Actually, it was Charlotte Olive-oil-crusher (translation from the German), decades ago.

Last edited:

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States

By the way, I notice that both of these spiral sequences include a Charlotte. If I remember my skating lore correctly, it was in the 2001-2002 season that both Sasha and Michelle brought back the long dormant Charlotte variation (featured in both of the clips). There was a little minor tempest among rival fans as to which of them did it first and deserved credit for inventing the move. :laugh:

(Actually, it was Charlotte Olive-oil-crusher (translation from the German), decades ago.

LOL! I KNOW! Sasha made the rounds on Late Night for a while saying, "It's called the Charlotte and I brought it back." The Kwan fans went nuts. "No! Michelle brought it back!! She's a lying......" The M.K. forum vs. Sashafans got absolutely brutal. 😨🥶😱🤡 My guess is they both worked on it and one hit the circuit with it a couple of days before the other.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

I was sort of annoyed, as a teenager, when I borrowed the position I'd learned on the beam in gymnastics and used it on the ice. I thought I'd invented it and was quite pleased with myself:biggrin:. Then my coach broke the news to me that my, ahem, impressive new spiral was called a Charlotte and it was older than I was :angry:.

Zora

On the Ice
The choreo sequence is a joke anyway, everyone gets positive GOE, no matter what they do. The favorites a bit more than the rest, but that's it. I wish they would get rid of it and give the skaters a choice between a spiral sequence and a second step sequence with clear level requirements, both in the short and in the free program, and leave Ina Bauers and spread eagles to choreography.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I agree. Everyone talks about how gorgeous spirals were in the 90s, but that's rose-tinted nostalgia: most of the American girls had stunning spirals, but almost everyone else in the world had ATROCIOUS spirals, of which Dick Button frequently reminded us.

I actually don't mind how it's structured now: skaters have a choreography sequence in which they can do beautiful, held spirals or some other moves/footwork if they don't want to do a spiral. I just wish the ISU would eliminate the levelled step sequences in the long program -- hideous, boring, banal!
The problem seems to be that great spirals, which very few skaters can do, are not rewarded appropriately. If a skill is very rarely done well, then the skaters who do it really well should get credit for that. The complete absence of essentially any spiral sequences since the days of Kwan/Cohen to me suggests that there is insufficient points incentive to develop that skill. And that is a real shame. There should be like a +5 point bonus if you do a Sasha Cohen level spiral lol.

rain

Record Breaker
The choreo sequence is a joke anyway, everyone gets positive GOE, no matter what they do. The favorites a bit more than the rest, but that's it. I wish they would get rid of it and give the skaters a choice between a spiral sequence and a second step sequence with clear level requirements, both in the short and in the free program, and leave Ina Bauers and spread eagles to choreography.
I would love to see them start giving out negative GOE for bad choreo sequences. I certainly saw some at Grand Prix de France that warranted some minus points, rather than positive ones. I won't single out the skater whose sequence really struck me as awful, since it's a fairly low-level skater and there's no need to be overly critical at this point, but I literally said out loud during this skater's program that the sequence needed negative GOE. I've also commented on the lack of even trying to do anything of any interest in most of the choreo sequences in pairs this season. The few who have made theirs more than perfunctory deserve to have more of a difference in points for what they're doing.

As for spread eagles and ina bauers, I love them. There were some really terrible ina bauers in particular though in the women's competition at Grand Prix de France, so the judges need to give out points accordingly. But I wouldn't want to see the end of, say, Yelim Kim's gorgeous ina bauer.

Zora

On the Ice
But I wouldn't want to see the end of, say, Yelim Kim's gorgeous ina bauer.
Definitely not, but she can include it like Shizuka Arakawa as choreography and use it to highlight the music with perfect timing instead of using it in the choreo sequence and having to cram it with other choreo elements.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I would love to see them start giving out negative GOE for bad choreo sequences. I certainly saw some at Grand Prix de France that warranted some minus points, rather than positive ones. I won't single out the skater whose sequence really struck me as awful, since it's a fairly low-level skater
And yet, high enough level to have gotten a Grand Prix assignment.

(If it's the skater I think you mean, that skater did get 0.00, so not positive either, for the choreographic sequence.)

There are thousands of senior-level competitors around the world who will never get to compete at ISU championships or at the Grand Prix. Not to mention all the levels below senior.

So if you were watching these lower level skaters in the lower level events they do compete in, you would probably see more negative GOEs for choreo sequences. Now that junior free skates include choreo sequences instead of leveled step sequences, check out protocols from JGPs to see negative GOEs for a number of lower and sometimes middle-ranked junior competitors.

That said, the negative bullet points reductions on this element are:

Fall -5
Stumble -1 to -3
Does not correspond to the music -2 to -4
Loss of control/Lack of energy -1 to -3
Lack of connection between choreographic movements -2 to -3
Poor quality of movements -1 to -3
Lack of creativity -1 to -3

Some of issues you will see from GP- or Challenger-level skaters if they are using the choreo sequence more as a rest break than as an opportunity to sell individual skills and choreography.

And even the best elite skaters might occasionally happen to fall or stumble in a choreo sequence. But those best skaters probably have positive bullet points for other parts of the sequence, which could cancel out any negatives from a moderate stumble or lack of control.

Currently in the choreo sequence (base value 3.0), the value of the positive and negative GOEs are 0.5 for each plus or minus, so more than the 10% per plus or minus for other types of elements.

If a skater were to earn -5 GOE for the sequence they would end up with 0.5 points total, way less than half the base value. If there's a fall, the net result to the total score would be negative.

And straight +5s would give the skater 3.0 + 2.5 for a total of 5.5 for the element.

However, if the ISU really wants to encourage skaters to invest in the creativity and performance/execution qualities of this element, they could make the positive GOEs worth even more, 0.6 or even 1.0 per GOE point, so that the final value of a really exceptional choreo sequence could be as much as 6.0 or 8.0 points total (as much as a just-adequate 3Lz or 3A).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Spirals is such an American discussion from fans who miss Kwan.

IMO, it's fine as it is now, and you can do great spirals if you want in the Choreo Sequence and get rewarded for it. A reminder, the choreoseq gets almost double GOE compared to all other elements.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
However, if the ISU really wants to encourage skaters to invest in the creativity and performance/execution qualities of this element, they could make the positive GOEs worth even more, 0.6 or even 1.0 per GOE point, so that the final value of a really exceptional choreo sequence could be as much as 6.0 or 8.0 points total (as much as a just-adequate 3Lz or 3A).
We see some of these very high GOE scoring elements in ice dance... and sometimes, it has very little to do with the element itself but more to do with who is skating it... I am not sure what kind of effect that would have in singles skating...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We may be going backwards though if you include the spirals. Remember whenthey were mandatory in ladies and pairs how it became a game ofhow many times and ways you could put your leg up for 3 seconds. It wasn't about beauty with music like Michelle Kwan aor Cohen's who would lose levels with the new rules. It wasn't about beauty but technical levels.

The problem seems to be that great spirals, which very few skaters can do, are not rewarded appropriately.
I wonder if the move away from spirals had something to do with need for the code of points judging system to quantify as much as possible and suppress judging subjectivity proportionally. From a judging perspective, the problem is that everyone can do a spiral, but only a few can do a great one. This means that judges would have to be encouraged to inject more subjectivity into their marks as they try to determine that this spiral is "great," but that one is only so-so.

Zora said:
...she can include it like Shizuka Arakawa...

Has any skater other than Ararakawa ever done an unassisted Y-spiral? (In this clip a very young Mirai Nagasu made an attempt at it.)

Last edited:

RobinA

On the Ice
Yay, someone else who wants to see spirals held longer :cheer2:! I hate it when maybe once in the whole program they just kick one leg up behind, up and down again. Like a horse feeling a bit antsy. A long, steady, balanced spiral, preferably with a change of edge, like Michelle Kwan's signature move. I know they have to cram a lot of elements into a program, but I've seen back spirals as approaches to jumps that were more impressive than just a back upright glide, and the jump then comes out of nowhere. Definitely, longer spirals please. :clap::pray:
Spirals and Ina Bauers. Ina Bauer is one of my favorite moves, but it is meaningless when they hit it for one second and then skate on. Two of my sports, dying at once. Figure skating and gymnastics.