Ice Hockey | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Hockey

LadyB

Record Breaker
What a wonderful surprise!!! I'm over the moon! The Germans are already heroes, they never made it that far in an Olympic tournament and silver gets them forever a place in the history books! Well done, guys!

Even more so, I can totally enjoy the final, as I can't lose either!!! I love the Russians far too much to be worried about anything. Bring it on, it will be my favourite event at this Olys, no matter the outcome.

:yes2::yahoo::hap57:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m Canadian but I’m super happy. Competition and growth is good for the sport!

I’m a terrible American because I was rooting for US and Canada to be eliminated. We are so spoiled with NHL already and I just like the idea of a more level playing feild for this type of event. I watch so much NHL anyway that seeing some new and old (retired) faces is pretty cool.

I can’t wait for the next US vs Canada Womens hockey game. This is one of the best rivalries in all of sports. :popcorn:

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I’m a terrible American because I was rooting for US and Canada to be eliminated. We are so spoiled with NHL already and I just like the idea of a more level playing feild for this type of event. I watch so much NHL anyway that seeing some new and old (retired) faves is pretty cool.

I can’t wait for the next US vs Canada Wondns hockey game. This is one of the best rivalries in all of sports. :popcorn:

I dang well bloody hate shootouts. I’m bitter losing that way lol but the game itself was amazing.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I’m shocked! This is shocking. The shocker of the tournament because it’s not like US and Canada are great outside the NHL! All talent is not just in NHL. But the teams didn’t come together. Now it’s OAR vs Germany and Germany wins or OAR wins like it beat Norway?! I don’t know. Can go either way!

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
I’m shocked! This is shocking. The shocker of the tournament because so few though US and Canada are great outside the NHL! All talent is not just in NHL. But the teams didn’t come together. Now it’s OAR vs Germany and Germany wins or OAR wins like it beat Norway?! I don’t know. Can go either way!

canada's team were represented by not even top ahl level players... so guys from germany deservedly won.. and kudos to them for such a passion game... but oar's 1st line is nhl top level.... if they lose to germany it will be a shame....

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
Honestly, I think they need to go back to the way that it was when he would look for the top men’s in Canada. Not just retired or failed NHLers. Lose with some integrity

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
canada's team were represented by not even top ahl level players... so guys from germany deservedly won.. and kudos to them for such a passion game... but oar's 1st line is nhl top level.... if they lose to germany it will be a shame....

I am not buying the argument about Canada's represenation. They have "occupy the podium" program with dozens of millions dollars of state support for the olympic team. So, I am sure that Canada brought the best available players, not just a bunch of random guys to get the Olympic gold.

The reasons that NHL players are absent are purely financial - the league wanted big bucks for the inconvenience. Now that Canada lost to Germany I wonder if these guys are going to have some tough talks about if money is everything in this world. It is interesting to see how financial argument will go for the next Olympics. Something tells me that measures will be taken and we shall see the best NHL players again. And the measures will be different from "just pay those greedy capitalists".

As for the match itself, the difference in class was obvious. Canadians were much faster and individually stronger than Germany. Especially it was clear in the third period with 15-1 shots on goal ratio. Their problem was the lack of team play. It is exactly the same problem when Russia brings guys like Ovechkin and Malkin to play together. Big names - no game because no team.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This is hilarious! Thank you German Foreign Office: https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/967079630854291456

GermanForeignOffice‏Verified account @GermanyDiplo

Travel advisory: Germans in Canada should exercise a high degree of empathy. Be nice, don’t gloat, give hugs, buy rounds of hot chocolate.

Just imagine how you would feel if Canada beat us in soccer 😱

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Go Datsyuk go!!!

Oh dear lord....I’m a jinx!!! 1-1 :slink:

NaVi

Medalist
It's 1-1 into the 3rd period... I'm conflicted... I kind of want Russia to win but if they lose then Zagitova gets to be the lone Gold medalist for Russia which I think would be awesome.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Phew....stay tough!!!

Datsyuk created that goal 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Lol!!!! 2-2

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone’s game at this point with a gold medal at stake!!:popcorn:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This game is wild! I turned on the TV and saw it was 3-2 to Germany and thought it was over for OAR.

I left the room for 5 minutes and OAR had equalised!

Dramaaaaa. :drama: