IceNetwork upset customers! My chat with IN | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork upset customers! My chat with IN

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some interesting information courtesy of FSU posters Sylvia and Momnatur:

... 2. The Team Challenge Cup was only added to the list of subscription competitions in mid-April of this year, at about the time the extra charge was announced ...

Not that it really matters, but at least by late December, (1) TCC did appear on IN's schedule and (2) IN's TCC comp page was live. (That said, I do not claim to know the exact language that appeared on the page at that time. I'm pretty sure it mentioned IN streaming, but I cannot swear that it mentioned inclusion of TCC streaming in the Season Pass.)

IN's comp page was not live yet in mid-July. After that, all I know is that I periodically was checking IN to see whether a TCC comp page had been added. The first time I noticed it was in late Dec.

I'm not paying, as a matter of principle.

That they are charging extra is outrageous, and the amount they're charging doubly so.

People who pay - no matter how unwillingly - are effectively condoning IN's behaviour, and encouraging them to do it again in future. I refuse to do either.

Then I trust that as a matter of principle, you will refuse also to watch any TCC videos on YouTube (or any other platform) that are bootlegged from the IN coverage. And that you will refuse to watch any bootleg streaming of IN's TCC live competition coverage (the possibility of which was mentioned by sabinfire in another TCC thread).

To watch any bootlegged TCC content that originates from IN also would be condoning IN's policy re TCC -- b/c someone did have to pay the IN subscription fee in order to provide the bootlegging. And you would be condoning that person's acquiescence with IN's policy re TCC. (Unless a bootlegger hacked into IN without paying the fee. But if hacking in were that easy, I assume you already would be doing it yourself. ;))

(I have never subscribed to IN for anything, and will not be subscribing for the sake of TCC. But I don't run around patting myself on the back for being holier than thou when it come to principles.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some interesting information courtesy of FSU posters Sylvia and Momnatur:

1. At the time our subscriptions renewed last August, Ice Network had not acquired the rights to stream TCC. ...

Below are some more data gathered from the original GS TCC thread. Not inconsistent with Point #1 from FSU -- but still interesting, methinks.

Posted on Sep 19:
Just noticed that CBS [sic :shocked:] will broadcast Team Challenge Cup, according to the USFS website. (Plus it will be watchable on IceNetwork.)
USFS recently revamped its website, and the link above is one of the old ones that no longer works as it used to.
What I remember is that the link used to be for a page with some very general stuff about media coverage of USFS events. At the time, I was randomly scrounging around for any early crumbs re TCC. So it's not that the page was newly published on Sep 19 -- it's that I happened to see it on Sep 19. No telling how much earlier the page already had the information re IN streaming of TCC.​

Posted on Sep 23:
Just saw that the icenetwork streaming is for Season Pass subscribers ($49.99) - shoot, I was hoping it would be free as World Team Trophy. Well, there's always Youtube.

Posted on Sep 23:
... Meanwhile, more about IN streaming:
The #TeamChallengeCup will be streamed live to a worldwide audience. No blackout restrictions will apply.
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/646767069002924032

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Below are some more data gathered from the original GS TCC thread. Not inconsistent with Point #1 from FSU -- but still interesting, methinks.

Posted on Sep 19:

USFS recently revamped its website, and the link above is one of the old ones that no longer works as it used to.
What I remember is that the link used to be for a page with some very general stuff about media coverage of USFS events. At the time, I was randomly scrounging around for any early crumbs re TCC. So it's not that the page was newly published on Sep 19 -- it's that I happened to see it on Sep 19. No telling how much earlier the page already had the information re IN streaming of TCC.​

Posted on Sep 23:

Posted on Sep 23:

Hi, yes, I took the FSU data at face value but I agree with you that there's a lot of very sloppy stuff out there that calls stuff into question. The basic issue I have is that USFS is the sole owner of Ice Network, even if the actual website is managed by MLB, and they are also the sponsor of TCC, which was announced last May. So while it may be true that they hadnt acquired rights to broadcast TCC last August when renewals were due, they surely had an idea of it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hi, yes, I took the FSU data at face value but I agree with you that there's a lot of very sloppy stuff out there that calls stuff into question. The basic issue I have is that USFS is the sole owner of Ice Network, even if the actual website is managed by MLB, and they are also the sponsor of TCC, which was announced last May. So while it may be true that they hadnt acquired rights to broadcast TCC last August when renewals were due, they surely had an idea of it.

Thanks, Tavi. Agree that it's hard to believe that IN had no expectation in August that it would be offering TCC streaming.

:rofl: Unlike you, I have not cast aspersions on anyone who chooses to subscribe to IN. Am just holding you to the standard by which you (not me) are judging others.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Unlike you, I have not cast aspersions on anyone who chooses to subscribe to IN. Am just holding you to the standard by which you (not me) are judging others.
No, you don't cast your aspersions on people who subscribe to IN.
You cast your aspersions on others.

People who have their own principles and stick to them, are apparently "patting themselves on the back" and "acting holier than thou"

ie.
You are the one judging, not me.
You are the one casting aspersions, not me.
What I gave were statements of fact, not judgements, not aspersions.
I don't hold anyone else to my own standards.
You are the one getting personal, not me.

And I'll enlighten you, since you are making a great many assumptions, and don't know what you're talking about: I use a set-top box in Japan that receives and records free-to-air TV broadcasts, and various paid-for subscription channels. I control the box and view the TV programs via a Slingbox. I will be able to watch Japanese TCC coverage that way, if I want. Delayed, but without paying an extra fee.

You can hold... whatever you want.
But you don't hold me to anything.
I do it my own way.

Last edited:
On the question, what did Ice Network know and when did they know it? I have to say, "huh"? Sylvia on FSU is a very knowledgeable and reliable poster (I don't know Momnatur), but it is hard to give any credence to IN's claim that they never heard of this event, or they had not decided whether they would live stream it or whether the coverage would be included in the season pass, etc., until "mid April." It is "mid-April" right now as the curtain is going up.

MasterB

Final Flight
I love my skating so I would pay any amount. What I don't like is being deceived. IN needs to be clear about what they are selling.

My biggest worry is I don't want shoddy reception, if I am being asked to pay an extra ten dollars for this event I want the reception to be perfec . I heard that during worlds people were complaining about the poor streaming service. I didn't care because I was at the event enjoying every performance to the fullest.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a different question. Has anyone here paid the higher price (I believe it's $19.99) because they weren't a season subscriber but want to watch TCC?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm not paying for this simply b/c when you calculate how much you've paid for each event over the course of the season (and someone on FSU did) this cheesefest event is anywhere from 3 to 8 times more than what we've paid for any other event (given which events you count).

If this were the GPF or nationals or worlds I'd probably put aside my justifiable outrage and fork over the money. But this is an end of season "for fun" event that they're asking for more money for...9 times out of 10 for a live feed that will probably be so damn choppy I won't get to watch it "live" anyway. :rolleye:

No thanks. I'll wait for the YT videos and call it day.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

caitie

Medalist
I refuse to pay the additional fee. I'm pissed at how low quality IN's service is to begin with. They have no business charging extra for this event. A YouTube stream of this event would be preferable and more technologically advanced than what they have to offer.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I will not be paying to watch the TCC and after the crappy reply I got from IN customer service I am seriously considering not renewing my subscription next fall.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My recollection is that the initial reports about the TCC said CBS would be broadcasting it, presumably live. Apparently, that fell through. The main problem with Ice Network is that they waited until the last minute to impose the additional charge. All through the season, the TCC was listed as part of the season pass. It would be interesting to know how and when the decision was made to charge extra.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My recollection is that the initial reports about the TCC said CBS would be broadcasting it, presumably live. Apparently, that fell through. ....

I do not recall any reports ever (at least on GS) that the CBS coverage would be live.

On Sep 23, USFS officially announced Sunday's CBS broadcast ... as well as the competition schedule of SPs on Friday and FD + free skates on Saturday. So it was obvious back then that the CBS broadcast would not be live.

(On Sep 19, I had made the first GS mention of CBS -- and did not say that CBS would be live.)

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I've found my subscription to Ice network has been subpar and I have no intention of re-newing it. Which is too bad, because I like figure skating and I want to watch the competitions, but ice network's coverage isn't any better than NBC and that is (relatively speaking) free. Ice network, I WANTED to believe in you.

Grrr.