Intermediate blade (and boot?) for large adult skater | Golden Skate

Intermediate blade (and boot?) for large adult skater

masterblaster

Spectator
Hi all - I'm 43 and finishing up LTS levels. I'm a real beginner who never ice skated until I was almost 40. I've just learned bunny hop and will be starting waltz and hopefully other jumps soon. My two-foot hops are solid (forward, backward, and 180.)

I'm also a Goldilocks with my skates and notice small differences A LOT. Currently I'm in Edea Chorus (size 270 C) and Legacy 8 blade. A fitter put me in Edea because my first skates (Jackson Elle, bought when I thought I just wanted to skate forward) caused arch pain, and the toe box was too high. I chose the Legacy 8 blade because I wanted a more intermediate blade from the start, but still with the beginner 8' rocker, and it did help me with 2-foot turns and 2-foot spins. It was noticeably rounder on the front than the Mirage when it was new. It's getting to the end of its sharpening life now and feels very flat, however, so I'm pondering where to go from here.

I'm heavy, 250 lbs, and about 5' 4". I'm bottom heavy with big strong legs. I have BIG feet, a mix of Egyptian and Roman shape (big toe is just a bit longer than second and third toes, foot is mostly shaped like a letter D.) My feet are naturally flat arched, and fairly stiff and inflexible. (I think my flat arches are why Edeas seem to work okay for me, though I do wear some small arch inserts in them for pronation. I also like a higher heel as it helps my feet reach the front of the blade easier.)

I know either JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional would be recommended for this level, but I wonder if one of them has features that would help my weird feet and heavy weight more for jumping? I suspect I need a rounder spin rocker combined with a prominent toepick to help vault me into the air, since my feet are stiff and I also have more mass to lift. I worry that the compound spin rocker on CoroAce might be TOO rounded for me, however, and possibly make the toepick hard to find. But maybe MK Pro has some downside I'm not seeing? (I'm also nervous about moving into 7' blades since I'm still a beginner and I like stability, but I know I must!) Legacy 7 is a distant third option if I want a less noticeable change, but I understand the spin rocker is flatter and not ideal.

The Chorus boot has been fine for basic skills and hops, but I worry about landing one-footed in them when I start jumping. My ankle feels a bit unstable when I try to land one-footed at the boards, but it also could just be bad beginner technique. I could easily bend my knees in the Chorus when they were news, and now after 3 years, I need to tighten the laces repeatedly to prevent heel lift when practicing bunny hop. I know Concerto is super stiff and rated for triple jumps, but given my weight could it be a better choice than Chorus? I really do enjoy the forward ankle mobility of Edea, as it helps me bend my knees deeper, but I think I may need more lateral ankle stability than the Chorus provides me now. But maybe a new pair of Choruses would be enough?

I'm near a good figure skating store, but they tend to be very busy and sometimes dismissive of adult beginners, so I'd like to gather some ideas on my own before I go back there for a consultation and fitting.

Appreciate the help and advice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all - I'm 43 and finishing up LTS levels. I'm a real beginner who never ice skated until I was almost 40. I've just learned bunny hop and will be starting waltz and hopefully other jumps soon. My two-foot hops are solid (forward, backward, and 180.)

I'm also a Goldilocks with my skates and notice small differences A LOT. Currently I'm in Edea Chorus (size 270 C) and Legacy 8 blade. A fitter put me in Edea because my first skates (Jackson Elle, bought when I thought I just wanted to skate forward) caused arch pain, and the toe box was too high. I chose the Legacy 8 blade because I wanted a more intermediate blade from the start, but still with the beginner 8' rocker, and it did help me with 2-foot turns and 2-foot spins. It was noticeably rounder on the front than the Mirage when it was new. It's getting to the end of its sharpening life now and feels very flat, however, so I'm pondering where to go from here.

I'm heavy, 250 lbs, and about 5' 4". I'm bottom heavy with big strong legs. I have BIG feet, a mix of Egyptian and Roman shape (big toe is just a bit longer than second and third toes, foot is mostly shaped like a letter D.) My feet are naturally flat arched, and fairly stiff and inflexible. (I think my flat arches are why Edeas seem to work okay for me, though I do wear some small arch inserts in them for pronation. I also like a higher heel as it helps my feet reach the front of the blade easier.)

I know either JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional would be recommended for this level, but I wonder if one of them has features that would help my weird feet and heavy weight more for jumping? I suspect I need a rounder spin rocker combined with a prominent toepick to help vault me into the air, since my feet are stiff and I also have more mass to lift. I worry that the compound spin rocker on CoroAce might be TOO rounded for me, however, and possibly make the toepick hard to find. But maybe MK Pro has some downside I'm not seeing? (I'm also nervous about moving into 7' blades since I'm still a beginner and I like stability, but I know I must!) Legacy 7 is a distant third option if I want a less noticeable change, but I understand the spin rocker is flatter and not ideal.

The Chorus boot has been fine for basic skills and hops, but I worry about landing one-footed in them when I start jumping. My ankle feels a bit unstable when I try to land one-footed at the boards, but it also could just be bad beginner technique. I could easily bend my knees in the Chorus when they were news, and now after 3 years, I need to tighten the laces repeatedly to prevent heel lift when practicing bunny hop. I know Concerto is super stiff and rated for triple jumps, but given my weight could it be a better choice than Chorus? I really do enjoy the forward ankle mobility of Edea, as it helps me bend my knees deeper, but I think I may need more lateral ankle stability than the Chorus provides me now. But maybe a new pair of Choruses would be enough?

I'm near a good figure skating store, but they tend to be very busy and sometimes dismissive of adult beginners, so I'd like to gather some ideas on my own before I go back there for a consultation and fitting.

Appreciate the help and advice.
I cannot answer completely right now b/c I am a bit busy. But, I will come back later to answer the rest of what you need to know.
I will tell you though, that from the get go, you should have been on a 7 ft rocker, not 8. Most beginner/intermediate good/great blades are 7ft rocker. Elite/top level blades are 8ft rockers. You also need a more rounded spin rocker and Coro ace has that, and having the larger pick will HELP you find it quicker/better, but then again you shouldn't have any issues if your balance and center on blades is correct.
I have to go now, but will come back later to talk about boots. In the meantime, please let us know what area you are in and I or others can suggest proper fitters who won't treat you rudely due to being an adult beginner skater.

:)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
<points upwards> What she said!

I'd just like to point out that some elite blades are 7ft rockers and I have always been very happy on them! (MK Phantom, MK Gold Star and my beloved MK Dance.) :wink:

But Coronation Ace is almost always the right answer, blade-wise. Seriously. Great blades and beloved of millions because they are so good. Do not give a minute's worry to the "compound rocker" or the 7ft v 8ft thing. Go with the aces. Hopefully the @Ic3Rabbit will find you a decent fitter because adult skaters deserve just as much care over their equipment fitting as children. Sounds to me like you're doing very well - keep going and don't let anybody be dismissive of your journey.

masterblaster

Spectator
Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. I'll definitely look at getting the Aces when it's time to get new ones.

I'm located in Toronto, but I've also travelled to Burlington for a fitting when Figure Skating Boutique was very busy.

Thank you again for your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello and I am finally back. Competitions happen LOL!
So, yes, I was rushed with my response up above and there are indeed 7ft rockers on some top level blades (MK Gold Star and Phantom, of which I have worn the latter in the past). ;) Good blades!

Anyway, I'd more than likely still suggest a Coronation Ace for you.

As far as boots, I'd still have you in a Jackson, personally. I mean, I was going to suggest a Graf, but you like the higher heel, so Graf is out lol!
The reason the elles didn't work out is you should have never been in one of those in the first place with being a larger adult with strong legs. You might be able to fit in a Risport as well, but again you should have never been in the Jackson elles unless you were a 5 year old kid at the time LOL! BTW what gender if I may ask? That helps me help you better with boots and stiffness.

As far as fitters in the Toronto and Ontario area, There is Jerry's Skating World in Markham, ONT. There is another fitter that's a little further away but still in Ontario I would love to send you to, but you'd have to DM me for that for various reasons.

Good luck! :)

masterblaster

Spectator
Hello and I am finally back. Competitions happen LOL!
So, yes, I was rushed with my response up above and there are indeed 7ft rockers on some top level blades (MK Gold Star and Phantom, of which I have worn the latter in the past). ;) Good blades!

Anyway, I'd more than likely still suggest a Coronation Ace for you.

As far as boots, I'd still have you in a Jackson, personally. I mean, I was going to suggest a Graf, but you like the higher heel, so Graf is out lol!
The reason the elles didn't work out is you should have never been in one of those in the first place with being a larger adult with strong legs. You might be able to fit in a Risport as well, but again you should have never been in the Jackson elles unless you were a 5 year old kid at the time LOL! BTW what gender if I may ask? That helps me help you better with boots and stiffness.

As far as fitters in the Toronto and Ontario area, There is Jerry's Skating World in Markham, ONT. There is another fitter that's a little further away but still in Ontario I would love to send you to, but you'd have to DM me for that for various reasons.

Good luck! :)
Hope the competition went well!

I'm female btw. Your advice is very helpful, thank you. The fitter I ended up seeing said the same thing about the Elles, that they are for little kids haha. When I bought them, I had never ice skated before and just wanted to learn to skate forward, but then got hooked on learning more skills and skating almost daily.

I will plan to try on some Jacksons next time I go in for a fitting. I do think they'd work better for my toes, and hopefully there is a model that will accommodate my lower arches.

I didn't know about the shop in Markham, so that's good info. Thanks again.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hope the competition went well!

I'm female btw. Your advice is very helpful, thank you. The fitter I ended up seeing said the same thing about the Elles, that they are for little kids haha. When I bought them, I had never ice skated before and just wanted to learn to skate forward, but then got hooked on learning more skills and skating almost daily.

I will plan to try on some Jacksons next time I go in for a fitting. I do think they'd work better for my toes, and hopefully there is a model that will accommodate my lower arches.

I didn't know about the shop in Markham, so that's good info. Thanks again.
You are very welcome. Jerry's is quite reputable and well known in the skating world. I will tell you, if Jackson is still too high in the toe box for you, try Risport as I suggested upthread. :)

starryskate

Rinkside
Hello, fellow Toronto skater! If you go to Figure Skating Boutique, make sure you see Jason. Otherwise, basically do whatever @Ic3Rabbit says to do and you can't go wrong. :)

@Ic3Rabbit, since I've become very annoyed with my current fitter, could I please also get a PM about who to trust in Ontario?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, fellow Toronto skater! If you go to Figure Skating Boutique, make sure you see Jason. Otherwise, basically do whatever @Ic3Rabbit says to do and you can't go wrong. :)

@Ic3Rabbit, since I've become very annoyed with my current fitter, could I please also get a PM about who to trust in Ontario?
Again, Jerry's skating world is in Markham.