ISU Challenger Series announced for 2021-22 | Golden Skate

ISU Challenger Series announced for 2021-22

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU Council met on April 8, 2021 and approved the Challenger Series Figure Skating and Synchronized Skating calendar for the season 2021/22.

Sep. 10-12, 2021Lombardia TrophyBergamo, ITA
Sep.16-18, 2021Autumn Classic InternationalMontreal, QC, CAN
Sep. 22-25, 2021Nebelhorn TrophyOberstdorf, GER (incl. Pair Skating) (Olympic Qualifying Competition)
Sep. 30- Oct. 2,2021Ondrej Nepela TrophyBratislava, SVK
Oct. 7-10, 2021Finlandia Trophy EspooEspoo, FIN (including Pair Skating)
Oct. 13-17, 2021Asian OpenBeijing, CHN (including Pair Skating) (Olympic Test Event)
Oct. 28-31, 2021Denis Ten Memorial ChallengeAlmaty, KAZ
Nov. 11-14, 2021Inge Solar MemorialGraz, AUT
Nov. 17-20, 2021Warsaw CupWarsaw, POL (including Pair Skating)
Dec. 8-11, 2021Golden Spin of ZagrebZagreb, CRO (including Pair Skating)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder why they didn't make US Classic as one of the ISU Challenger events considering who knows if Canada will even host their Challenger event seeing how things went this season with them hosting competitions. You at least know the US can host events.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder why they didn't make US Classic as one of the ISU Challenger events considering who knows if Canada will even host their Challenger event seeing how things went this season with them hosting competitions. You at least know the US can host events.

The Challenger Series can only have up to 10 events, but the the US Classic is still taking place.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so what happened to the US Classic in 2020 then? It wasn't held.... I wonder why...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Why this negativism about Canada? So, they had problems with Covid, as did many other countries if not all. Sure, the US can host events - but it took time to work out the bubble system for every one. As 4everchan says, there was no US Classic last year...because at that moment in time the whole principle of a bubble (or whatever you want to call it) hadn't been worked out yet. There were many countries this season who didn't manage a challenger event. There was the Nebelhorn, true, and there were some other competitions in Europe. And then there were the National GP's, which provided a lot of learnings. Although I'm less sure about the Nationals (but after all, that's something different altogether), I really don't get it why one has to be negative. As far as I know, Canada has an excellent record of organising events. As has the US, and quite a few others. But I don't like this derogatory tone about a country (or federation) that did its best. And perhaps the US just didn't apply for Challenger status?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No need for negativity about Canada -- or about the U.S.

In Sep/Oct 2020 (around the usual timeframe of U.S. Classic), U.S. Figure Skating held a virtual event for U.S. senior and junior skaters in its International Selection Pool.

For many skaters, it was their first competition of the season.
Other benefits of ISP Points Challenge:
Top seniors and top juniors earned prize money. 💰
Some senior skaters were able to earn byes to 2021 U.S. Nats.​

.... the US Classic is still taking place.

I am very excited about 2021 U.S. Classic. 🥳 Also about U.S. Challenge Skate. 😊

I look forward to the Challenger Series too.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well I’m hoping that ACI goes forward, with spectators, and that the border / quarantine issue resolves bc I would love to go if I can!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I’m hoping that ACI goes forward, with spectators, and that the border / quarantine issue resolves bc I would love to go if I can!
not sure about borders and quarantine issues at that point.... quebec expects to have given first doses to all adults by june 24th. Measures will last several months after that as people get their second doses... and of course, after the summer, it is expected that a 4th wave happens with children going back to school... I am not an epidemiologist but I have a friend who is one who explained that scenario to me... as I am looking forward to start my life back ;) (I am working from home since March 16th 2020) So... we can hope for 1) that the event will be held. 2) there maybe a chance for spectators but then, it would depend where it would be... if it's in Pierrefonds like in previous years, the seats are like benches... no assigned seating... there would definitely need to be some kind of restrictions about spectators. So they may just decide to not have anyone in there... or if they do, a very small amount of people, in which case, the general public may not be getting much of a chance to attend (they could keep tickets for the skating clubs in town etc) I don't want to be negative about our chances of attending the event.. but at this point in time, early fall looks difficult, especially for international spectators.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
not sure about borders and quarantine issues at that point.... quebec expects to have given first doses to all adults by june 24th. Measures will last several months after that as people get their second doses... and of course, after the summer, it is expected that a 4th wave happens with children going back to school... I am not an epidemiologist but I have a friend who is one who explained that scenario to me... as I am looking forward to start my life back ;) (I am working from home since March 16th 2020) So... we can hope for 1) that the event will be held. 2) there maybe a chance for spectators but then, it would depend where it would be... if it's in Pierrefonds like in previous years, the seats are like benches... no assigned seating... there would definitely need to be some kind of restrictions about spectators. So they may just decide to not have anyone in there... or if they do, a very small amount of people, in which case, the general public may not be getting much of a chance to attend (they could keep tickets for the skating clubs in town etc) I don't want to be negative about our chances of attending the event.. but at this point in time, early fall looks difficult, especially for international spectators.
Yeah I’m guessing you’re right, but I’ll keep hoping! Seriously though the important thing isn’t whether I can go to ACI this year, much as I’d love to be there. Most important is for everyone there to be fully vaccinated and to prevent a fourth wave if possible so you can get back to normal life. I’ve been working at home since March 2020 too. So grateful to have a job that allows me to do it but it would be nice to get back in the world again!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here in the US, Vaccines are already being given. I've had the first dose and will soon get the second. President Biden says he hopes to have as many people vaccinated as possible by the 4th of July.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here in the US, Vaccines are already being given. I've had the first dose and will soon get the second. President Biden says he hopes to have as many people vaccinated as possible by the 4th of July.

In the US, vaccine testing on children has begun. If children can be vaccinated before September, then perhaps there will be no 4th wave.

mrrice

Record Breaker
In the US, vaccine testing on children has begun. If children can be vaccinated before September, then perhaps there will be no 4th wave.
Well, I'm no child but, I got my first shot a little over a week ago. Also, the schools in the Clovis are back open

Inna80

Spectator
Has anyone heard if ISU restricted the number of participants at Challenger events 2021-2022 from 3 to 1 skater from each country?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard if ISU restricted the number of participants at Challenger events 2021-2022 from 3 to 1 skater from each country?

Welcome to Goldenskate, post long and post often!

I have not heard that. I think that ISU would not agree to that, as restricting from the larger feds would greatly reduce the field.

Could you possibly be referring to the fact that for Olympic qualifications at Nebelhorn, only one entry per country "counts" for scoring in the provisional Olympic qualification? (that is, for example, USA and Russia have two entries with a provisional third, should the designated skater place highly enough. Only one skater from those countries can "count" for this scoring. But other skaters from those countries can skate, AFAIK, in the comp).

Inna80

Spectator
Thank you for your reply. I was referring to all events in Challenger series. Glad though that ISU would not agree to that😊

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your reply. I was referring to all events in Challenger series. Glad though that ISU would not agree to that😊

That is just my guess, I can't imagine it, but I guess stranger things have happened:biggrin: