Jason Brown | Page 778 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just finished watching Blades for the Brave. Jason and Gracie did a great job. Jason was wearing a jacket, tie and pj bottoms! I loved that. Some of the videos were hilarious. Some were touching. Gracie's mom, an ER nurse on the front lines was heart wrenching. I Hope they raised lots of money. It was a really nice thing to do.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched most of it too, and for what they had to work with, the show was pretty good. Obviously very few people are actually skating, but the "bits" were interesting.

Jason and Gracie have a good rapport, even considering the confines of the script. I do wonder which one of the Browns was holding Jason's cue cards, which I think you could see peeking out at one point;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason will also be in next weekend's event, as well.

But something struck me today, which I never allowed myself to think of before. Jason has spoken often of 2022, and the Olympics. But by then, he will be 27, and as wonderful and strong and fit and mercifully uninjured as he is, that is growing old for a skater. We are closer to the end than the beginning, and if there is one thing I won't ever be ready for in the skating world, it will be the day Jason utters those dreadful words.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I watched most of it too, and for what they had to work with, the show was pretty good. Obviously very few people are actually skating, but the "bits" were interesting.

Jason and Gracie have a good rapport, even considering the confines of the script. I do wonder which one of the Browns was holding Jason's cue cards, which I think you could see peeking out at one point;)

My guess was Jordan on the cue cards and also the hair cut. I enjoyed the program a lot. They made the most of what they had. It would have been nice if some of the people had done a little more with their segment, but it was fine. It took a little bit of time to find it, because the Americares site stopped working before the broadcast started. But I managed to locate the Youtube page. It is apparently replayable. Some of the bits really were hilarious. And for major impact. Gracie's mom was amazing! I think Gracie and Jason could be the new Tara and Johnny when Tara and Johnny were fun. Gracie's sense of humor is on point and Jason is just so open and available. I hope the difficulty of finding the venue didn't cost them too many viewers. And I hope they raised money. But spending 90 minutes with Gracie and Jason was just plain fun! I will forever remember Jason dancing in that buttoned up jacket and tie and blue pajama pants. That is SO Jason!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

But something struck me today, which I never allowed myself to think of before. Jason has spoken often of 2022, and the Olympics. But by then, he will be 27, and as wonderful and strong and fit and mercifully uninjured as he is, that is growing old for a skater. We are closer to the end than the beginning, and if there is one thing I won't ever be ready for in the skating world, it will be the day Jason utters those dreadful words.

I really, really hope that Jason makes the Olympic team. He should! And he won't be the oldest man there. But there will come a time when he will leave competition and I am dreading it. But I hope that he and some of the really popular skaters will go on tour with something unique and special and keep the flame burning. They can certainly tour Japan, maybe Russia, maybe even North America. I hope that the Olympics doesn't get postponed! Jason and Yuzu will both be 27 in '22. There are some really great, talented, showman type skaters out there who could pull something together that is better than the usual vaudeville show. I hope so!

noskates

Record Breaker
I just watched it. So glad I could get it on YouTube as I literally forgot about it last night. Jason and his pajama pants - you're right Book, soooo Jason. I was very impressed with Gracie. Can we fire Tara and replace her with Gracie? I think she would be really good. Her mother had me almost in tears. I knew her father was a doctor (pediatrician I think) but didn't know about her Mom being a nurse. Jason can't help but be excited about almost everything. The man loves life! And what a great family. I think my favorite was Alexei Yagudin though dancing in the mirror. Very clever.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

2022 IMO is a realistic goal, I am sure Jason and Yuzu will inspire each other to get there and achieve their own levels of successes. Plus considering the likes of Sergey Voronov, Alexey Bychenko etc. why not??? :cool:
But beyond that, there is chilling uncertainty for us. But as an extraordinary performer, professional skating will give Jason a perfect stage to explore his potential, a platform where 4 rotations in the air is not the all important element and I am quite sure he will blossom even more. So far he has done relatively few shows, mostly inside the US but I do hope he will go more international at that stage, I do bet on shows in Japan but hopefully more tours also in Europe!!! :luv17: So I take comfort in the thought that even if he retires from competitions, it won't be all over for us, although for now, it will be exciting to see which heights he can attain in the next couple of seasons.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think, that, sadly for us, Jason will call it a day on his skating career after 2022. He has such a gift that I hope he continues to share it in some professional venue, but also has a life to live and needs to start teaching English in Japan.:biggrin:

I know that we all have much bigger things to worry about, but I do wonder whether the prolonged rest will be good for Jason (not getting any younger, more recovery time) or not so good (not getting any younger, skill retention).

And Rohene's routine in the show....now *that* was a Prince outfit:laugh: And one that would have completely drowned Jason....

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I do think, that, sadly for us, Jason will call it a day on his skating career after 2022. He has such a gift that I hope he continues to share it in some professional venue, but also has a life to live and needs to start teaching English in Japan.:biggrin:

I know that we all have much bigger things to worry about, but I do wonder whether the prolonged rest will be good for Jason (not getting any younger, more recovery time) or not so good (not getting any younger, skill retention).

And Rohene's routine in the show....now *that* was a Prince outfit:laugh: And one that would have completely drowned Jason....

They are an interesting team, because they are so different! Jason is an extrovert, but he's not flamboyant. Rohene is...Rohene. He and Johnny Weir could get rich doing a Drag Race on Ice show, but the clash of egos would be spectacular!

I somehow think that Jason will stay in skating somewhere. It could be commentary, it could be coaching, it WON'T be choreography! He probably would enjoy a few years of skating professionally with his friends if it pays enough. He does love to travel and he does love to skate and be on the ice and off the ice with his skating friends. After 2022, a lot of his skating contemporaries will be facing retirement. Zhenya is already working on the transition, the Japanese ladies will also be doing that, Gracie, Mariah, Yuzu, Liza Alina all will be and so many more. All of them have fan bases, amazing personalities, performance skills and they love skating. I can see a few years of touring before he shifts to whatever he decides to do with his life. I just hope that the postponement of Oly 2020 doesn't shift the date for Oly 2022. They'll be 8 months apart. But it would be so much fun to see ice shows that feature high level skills and performances. The talent is out there!

Competitive skating without Jason will be a much less interesting and fun place. He is just so unique!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason will join Kori as co-presenter of one of her many Sharp4Sports webinars next week.

Friday Apr 24, 1:30-2:30 pm CT

Jason Brown/Kori Ade | Elite Flexibility (Spins, Spirals, Performance Skills) with Jason Brown | $20​

ETA (on Apr 21):

In support of Kaitlyn Weaver's "Open Ice" fundraiser, Jason is donating his fees from this class to the UN fund. :cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_NOxojJWBW/ (Apr 20)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, it's getting cold outside. Uh, if anyone needs me, I'll be...uh...outside. :eek::

EDIT: watching the ISS flyover!

but also, uh, cooling down.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
He'll need a really tiny partner! But he would be great fun to watch.

Let's see how Daisuke deals with his dancing career... he is shorter than Jason! I think JLB is about the same as Jason in heights though. So I don't think it's mission impossible!!!
But I think he is such a beautiful performer he may totally steals the show from his partner :biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason did say he would need someone "very tiny" as a partner if he switched disciplines:biggrin:

While I'm being ridiculous and bored, how about Katia Kurakova going to dance? Is she small enough?

The sunshine from the ice would be blinding:eeking:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Jason did say he would need someone "very tiny" as a partner if he switched disciplines:biggrin:

While I'm being ridiculous and bored, how about Katia Kurakova going to dance? Is she small enough?

The sunshine from the ice would be blinding:eeking:

How about Liubov Ilyushechkina moving to ice dance and skating with Jason? She's tiny - mind you, most pairs ladies are teeny tiny.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jason's SS would make him an excellent convert to ice dance. And unlike pairs, his partner wouldn't actually need to be tiny - just his height or a bit shorter.

The real problem would be finding someone he wouldn't continually outshine. Jason has a gift of natural charisma and he has learned how to use it. Any girl dancing with him would be in his shadow unless she also had a lot of natural charisma, and dance teams where the guy outshines the girl can suffer for it a bit.