Jason Brown | Page 779 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

noskates

Record Breaker
Hmmm - interesting thought. Can't see it though. I think ice dancing would be too disciplined for him. This is a perfect case where the lack of professional ice shows is just a darn shame. He would definitely "fill the house!"

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason did say he would need someone "very tiny" as a partner if he switched disciplines:biggrin:

While I'm being ridiculous and bored, how about Katia Kurakova going to dance? Is she small enough?

The sunshine from the ice would be blinding:eeking:

She is tiny! That might work. Dance does require lifting, so smaller and lighter is helpful. Not too small, but tiny overall. Jason has great core strength and good skating skills and he gets along with everyone. So it could work!

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Jason will also be in next weekend's event, as well.

But something struck me today, which I never allowed myself to think of before. Jason has spoken often of 2022, and the Olympics. But by then, he will be 27, and as wonderful and strong and fit and mercifully uninjured as he is, that is growing old for a skater. We are closer to the end than the beginning, and if there is one thing I won't ever be ready for in the skating world, it will be the day Jason utters those dreadful words.

He should be okay for 2022, barring something unexpected. Currently, he has a small chance of getting a bronze medal, even without a quad. Second at 4 Continents was very impressive, and he would have received about 5-6 more points if he had just done another really good triple, rather than turning the quad into a double. A realistic 95+ in the short program and 185+ in the long program puts him way up there.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
We're expecting him to stay the course until 2022. It's 2023 we're speculating about. Will he retire from all competition or maybe move on to a different discipline? It's a fantasy, but a good and possibly realistic fantasy. Dance team males often skate into their 30s. They don't have to negotiate the jumps. But they have to do lifts.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmm - interesting thought. Can't see it though. I think ice dancing would be too disciplined for him. This is a perfect case where the lack of professional ice shows is just a darn shame. He would definitely "fill the house!"

I'd say he has a good chance of getting a regular berth in the Japanese shows. And while that's not the same as seeing him live, if he gets invited to Fantasy on Ice especially, quite a few of the shows get good Japanese air time and probably pays well.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I think Jason's SS would make him an excellent convert to ice dance. And unlike pairs, his partner wouldn't actually need to be tiny - just his height or a bit shorter.

The real problem would be finding someone he wouldn't continually outshine. Jason has a gift of natural charisma and he has learned how to use it. Any girl dancing with him would be in his shadow unless she also had a lot of natural charisma, and dance teams where the guy outshines the girl can suffer for it a bit.

well, actually Guillaume Cizeron does continually outshine Gabriella Papadakis (at least for me :biggrin:), but the pair still works... but of course if the pair could shine together that would be ideal and who could be a better fit than Ekaterina Kurakova, as @El Henry pointed out???? :luv17: oh one can dream at least!!!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since this is a fantasy as well as a speculation, the most fun pairing would be Jason and Gracie, Gold and Brown! Then there is Satoko who has beautiful skating skills, For sheer star power, Zhenya. Those would be interesting!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since this is a fantasy as well as a speculation, the most fun pairing would be Jason and Gracie, Gold and Brown! Then there is Satoko who has beautiful skating skills, For sheer star power, Zhenya. Those would be interesting!

Well, if we're going full down fantasy road, I've always said that in an alternate world where same-sex ice dance becomes a thing, we haul Josh's butt out of retirement. What a handsome, silky-smooth skating skills dance couple they would make!

noskates

Record Breaker
Gracie is 5'5" and Jason is supposedly 5'8" although I'm 5'3" and when he hugged me (did I mention that? Heh! Heh! :drama:) he didn't seem that much taller than me. In any case, since we're fantasizing, I think they would be too close in size. I would prefer to agree with TallyT and see him skating in a professional capacity in Japan where he could really get into performing without the confines of competition.

Sorry Karne - didn't care for your idea at all. Interesting thought though. Who would lead?

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've been lucky enough to get 2 Jason hugs, but he bends down to hug people and he bent down to hug my 5 feet 4 inches. He's been 5'7 for a while, but I think he grew very slightly to closer to 5'8". It could be the posture, which is much better since he moved to TCC. Jason's friends are mostly ladies, so I don't see him dancing with Josh, sadly. Gracie is probably a little too big. Guilaume Cizeron is 6'1" to Gabbi's 5'5" Madison Chock is 5'2" to Evan's 6'+ Charlie White is 5'9" to Meryl's 5'2". There needs to be a height difference. So 5'2 or smaller for Jason's partner. Satoko is 5 feet. Perfect! And exquisite! Jason also had positive feelings toward working with Alyssa when it was suggested, but she's not finished growing. She might be tiny enough, but she might get bigger. It's fun to speculate. It's all we've got right now. Looking forward to the show tomorrow! It should be fun.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very long interview with Brian with a few mentions of Jason; he does say that Jason was "strongly advised" to return to the US and because he does what he's told, he went.:biggrin:

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...clusive-quadruple-axel-physical-hanyu-yuzuru/

Also, I can't tell, if Brian is saying that the TCC skaters are working on a splits competition, or if that's what he did when he was training for Toller:luv17: I mean, truly, what will they do with Jason, have him judge it? That won't be a competition:laugh:

I also believe I read, but cannot now find the link, that Jason did a Friends of Figure Skating video chat today? At least I think that the Japanese Fan Club is retweeting:). Maybe a video will find its way somewhere?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I also believe I read, but cannot now find the link, that Jason did a Friends of Figure Skating video chat today? ... Maybe a video will find its way somewhere?

FWIW: During Mariah's FOFS chat from quarantine, the USFS moderator had said that a video later would be made available online to all. And it eventually was.

Disclaimer: Unless I missed it, today Brent did not say anything about a video later for Jason's? But with any luck, maybe it eventually will be made available too?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Very long interview with Brian with a few mentions of Jason; he does say that Jason was "strongly advised" to return to the US and because he does what he's told, he went.:biggrin:

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...clusive-quadruple-axel-physical-hanyu-yuzuru/

Also, I can't tell, if Brian is saying that the TCC skaters are working on a splits competition, or if that's what he did when he was training for Toller:luv17: I mean, truly, what will they do with Jason, have him judge it? That won't be a competition:laugh:

I also believe I read, but cannot now find the link, that Jason did a Friends of Figure Skating video chat today? At least I think that the Japanese Fan Club is retweeting:). Maybe a video will find its way somewhere?

Thanks for the link, but do I have poor reading comprehension or was the article edited? I didn’t see the reference to Jason being strongly advised to leave. Also, I’m curious if it would have been the US or Canadian governments who advised it, or USFS or his family?

I also noticed it says Evgenia was scheduled to compete at Worlds. :)

Ross74

Medalist
Thanks for the link, but do I have poor reading comprehension or was the article edited? I didn’t see the reference to Jason being strongly advised to leave. Also, I’m curious if it would have been the US or Canadian governments who advised it, or USFS or his family?

The interview was on The Olympic Channel's instagram live. I only listened to half because the audio was poor, but there was more than this article. It's aged off now, but maybe it will show up someplace else.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

The link is now embedded in the article and is also available on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2837807449668437

He talks about Jason going back to Chicago at around the 6:30 mark.

Brian also mentioned earlier in the interview that it was Jason who arranged the Cricket Club group training session. Of course he did. :laugh:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's a very good interview. It is long, but none of it is superfluous. A few things we've heard before, but the questions were good, Brian was candid and you can see how proud he is of his skaters. He even talks a little about the Battle of the Brians. His closing words on that were "neither of us disappointed," Such a great way to look at it. Definitely worth taking the time to listen.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I sat through all 4 hours of Open Ice. It was pretty amazing. Jason and Brian are toward the end. It was delightful! Kaitlyn did a fantastic job. Everyone was relaxed, open and supportive. No standard patter. It was friends talking. Brian Boitano and Orser were in the segment with Jason. It was hilarious. It was recorded, so take the time to watch. And sit through the credits for Jordan's montage at the end. You'll be delighted to see who ends the show! It was like being at the best houseparty ever!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't get up for this at the time, as I had already gotten up for Tracy Wilson's class and I needed some more consistent sleep after that.

When they sent us the Zoom link, they advertised that there would be a Special Guest Skater to introduce Tracy before the class. So I got up, shuffled to my computer, and sleepily booted up Zoom...then ten minutes before the class started, the Special Guest Skater came online...

And my apartment was filled with sunshine and joy.

I think we all know who the special guest was!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I didn't get up for this at the time, as I had already gotten up for Tracy Wilson's class and I needed some more consistent sleep after that.

When they sent us the Zoom link, they advertised that there would be a Special Guest Skater to introduce Tracy before the class. So I got up, shuffled to my computer, and sleepily booted up Zoom...then ten minutes before the class started, the Special Guest Skater came online...

And my apartment was filled with sunshine and joy.

I think we all know who the special guest was!

That's great! Tell us what the class was like. What did he do? The fundraiser has been recorded and available to view. Someone posted elsewhere that they raised over $34,000. You can still watch and donate. I highly recommend watching all of it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's great! Tell us what the class was like. What did he do? The fundraiser has been recorded and available to view. Someone posted elsewhere that they raised over $34,000. You can still watch and donate. I highly recommend watching all of it.

Oh, Jason didn't really do anything, except introduce Tracy in a completely charming and adorable way (as you'd expect). Tracy's class was all about really keeping focused and mentally preparing yourself for competition. It was quite interesting and actually ended up being a great complement to Max's "wiring the brain for success" class which I took on Friday.

It's raining here today, so four hours of skaters being adorable goofs sounds perfect.