Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So happy for their NHK win and hoping for the best for them in France!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In case any of you were curious about the CBC commentary for their NHK Trophy FD, it's at the 8:10 mark (the password is dance): https://vimeo.com/297835413 Their RD wasn't broadcast on Canadian television.

shine

Record Breaker
Instead Kaitlin and Jean Luc got their Theory of Everything Program (what was Pasquale thinking?) while Maddie and Zach moved to Montreal, cementing Kaitlin and Jean Luc into 4th place purgatory. :sad4:

I then remember being devastated through their mistakes and fluke falls. :hpull:

I was so happy when they brought back Liebestraum for the second year and go their redemption at Nationals. :hap10: Then I heard about the move to Montreal and I got really hopeful (but cautiously so) :think:

Four years later, and all of that to say that their win at NHK is so SATISFYING! I'm over the moon for them. :hap57::hap93:

The programs still need mileage but if they build momentum this is definitely their chance to move up. :pray:

I LOVED The Theory of Everything...thought it was a masterpiece. It's one of my favourite ice dance programs in the last 2-3 years (along with Liebestraum). I thought they were super convincing in their portrayal which made the program very moving. They also skated very within the music.

I still much prefer Theory to their current FD, which to me feels like they are trying a bit too hard to emulate the P/C modern dance/minimalist approach. But the program does have a lot of room for improvement and I'll wait and see where they can take it.

Their RD though....is just fantastic. My type of tango.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ditto to all the reactions on their NHK win! :luv17: I just have to say it again. They won! :yahoo: Highlight of the entire competition for me. While I truly admire the top U.S. teams of the past quad, truth be told Kaitlin and Jean-Luc held that extra special place in my heart. I was hoping against hope that they could move up and qualify for the Oly team. I was so devastated for them about the uncharacteristic mistakes in their gorgeous Liebestraum program at 2017 nationals, and I was happy they brought it back last season to fulfill the potential of that program. I’ve been concerned about them this season with Jean-Luc’s injury, and also that they may not get enough attention to further develop their potential while training among so many top caliber teams. Needless to say, their performances at NHK, especially their FD, were a huge relief, :biggrin:, and pretty remarkable considering all their lost training time. Fingers crossed that they will not only make the GPF (making me all the more sad that I can’t get tickets :() but will also finally make the World team this season. :pray:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
They made the world team last season (when the Shibs chose not to compete) and finished 10th. But I get your point, that it would be great for them to be in the top three and not go as first alternates.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just come across this video and wanted to share it with all the US figure skating fans. It's a video concluding US 2017/18 season, published by USFSA in March, in which the skaters dance to "Feel It Still" by Portugal. Kaitlin and Jean-Luc can also be glimpsed and since they're the last US skaters to medal (GP NHK), I've decided to put it in their thread. Sorry if it's already somewhere in their or other skaters' thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6U4ipi3WNM&index=1&list=PL-CheZaoFWwSffDqepaQ2XN35DGUzUhdW

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've just come across this video and wanted to share it with all the US figure skating fans. It's a video concluding US 2017/18 season, published by USFSA in March, in which the skaters dance to "Feel It Still" by Portugal. Kaitlin and Jean-Luc can also be glimpsed and since they're the last US skaters to medal (GP NHK), I've decided to put it in their thread. Sorry if it's already somewhere in their or other skaters' thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6U4ipi3WNM&index=1&list=PL-CheZaoFWwSffDqepaQ2XN35DGUzUhdW

still boggles me that a band with Alaskan Ties (they're from Wasilla) is so popular haha that almost never happens!

Never saw this video so thanks for sharing!