Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

Alisa

On the Ice
I think their new FD has tons of potential! I'm in love with the music cuts and choreography. Also, even the fall was kind of going with the theme of Theory of Everything :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Maybe H/B just had a "Charlie White 2008 Cup of Russia" moment. All skaters have rough competitions where things go wrong. I love watching them skate and hope they do well at SA.

I also hope they will do well at Skate America after this disappointing start :cheer:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree with skateforever. I quite liked their freeskate, although I'm not sure about the almost literal Hawkingisms (is that a word?) that Jean Luc was doing to show the physical changes - they kind of look awkward. The fall looked *almost* choreographed b/c he does fall down in the movie.

I think this program has great potential though and hope to see them skate well at SA.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Agree with skateforever. I quite liked their freeskate, although I'm not sure about the almost literal Hawkingisms (is that a word?) that Jean Luc was doing to show the physical changes - they kind of look awkward. The fall looked *almost* choreographed b/c he does fall down in the movie.

I think this program has great potential though and hope to see them skate well at SA.

I thought that about the fall too, and was slightly amused by its 'fitting in' in that way. Then I concluded I am probably a bad person :laugh2:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just had a chance to watch Kaitlyn/Jean-Luc's SD, and I'm in love with it, and with them. Really, it's the best Waltz of the Flowers I've seen in any skating program, ever, and I think it's a brilliant idea, wonderful choreography, and marvelously danced by K/JL. Such spirit and beauty, and they emotionally communicate every mood of the music.

I'm so impressed. I became a fan of this team at Nationals last year and think they're adorable.

For the FD, I told my husband the same thing ... that the fall could almost have been choreographed because it fit the movie portrayal so well. But it's a gorgeous program and I have high hopes that they'll move past H/D this year. (think they should have last year.) I wonder if anyone else feels concerned, though, because they are so close in size?

slider11

Medalist
Absolutely agree, Larkin. I'm wondering why Kaitlin seemed so chagrined at the end of the FD. Obviously the fall was not a positive but otherwise I thought the performance was good. It's the little things they do and the connection that makes them special to me. I watched the fall a couple times and it just seems like Jean-Luc's feet were not under him and he basically sat down to protect Kaitlin. Ice network indicated that they trouble on 2 lifts. Which other lift was faulty? Everything will need to get faster and cleaner as is true for all programs at this point. But I'm not feeling the doom -there's lots here to get stronger!
I just had a chance to watch Kaitlyn/Jean-Luc's SD, and I'm in love with it, and with them. Really, it's the best Waltz of the Flowers I've seen in any skating program, ever, and I think it's a brilliant idea, wonderful choreography, and marvelously danced by K/JL. Such spirit and beauty, and they emotionally communicate every mood of the music.

I'm so impressed. I became a fan of this team at Nationals last year and think they're adorable.

For the FD, I told my husband the same thing ... that the fall could almost have been choreographed because it fit the movie portrayal so well. But it's a gorgeous program and I have high hopes that they'll move past H/D this year. (think they should have last year.) I wonder if anyone else feels concerned, though, because they are so close in size?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, annoyance with oneself, when you're a perfectionist as most skaters at this level are, can look like chagrin. Who knows, she may have even felt her timing or something was slightly off and contributed to the fall. I don't know. But on a positive note, she seemed to get over it quickly.

I'm not feeling doom at all. Beautiful skaters as they are will rise (it's early in the season), especially with such emotional connection with each other and with their music.

chezzu

On the Ice
I loved their free, fall and all. Heck, I love how to me, it looked like he sat down intentionally once he realized he was out of balance, so that Kaitlin wouldn't fall. My heart melted. Their friendship is adorable.

I hope to see their free program clean sometime soon; the choreography really is lovely. Though it's similar to their usual style, I really like their usual style so I don't mind it at all.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Naturally, I am disappointed about the fall in the FD, which I just watched. However, I really like their FD. I think this is a wonderful team and they will do well in the future. I have watched them closely these past two years and they have something. Their SD I also liked. Kaitlin is not a ballerina to be sure, but nevertheless, I liked their SD overall. They will get the FD perfect next time. If there is a place to make a mistake it is now and not later in the season. So hopefully their skates will be clean when it counts.

slider11

Medalist
Thanks for sharing Kaitlikn's positive messages. Good that they are moving forward in a positive way. Both of these vehicles can work. I am a little more concerned about the SD. True ballet purists are going to pick away at every arm movement in that Nutcracker performance. Kaitlin has decent overall technique but it's hard to focus a lot on arm angles and finger placements when you're also trying to perform very difficult foot work and lifts. The FD is very intriguing and I think will develop beautifully. Bring on SA!
For anyone who missed them, Kaitlin made some very nice, positive tweets after the LP https://twitter.com/KaitlinHawayek

This is also a cute pic from their instagram takeover: https://instagram.com/p/8kmTBWm3_G/?taken-by=usfigureskating

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Fortunately, judges and tech panels don't watch the arms as closely as they watch the feet!

:biggrin:

Spiral

Final Flight
I loved both their programs. They looked very light on their feet and very involved in their performances. I was particularly impressed with their attempt to include the story within the context of a competitive FD. The fall looked entirely incidental, although I also thought it nice of him to protect her - a real gentleman. In general, very few skaters seem at their best right now, so I'm not reading anything into it and hope that they'll do well at GP and Nationals. The good thing is IMO that they have two really good programs and that they really get into them.

Wishing them the very best of luck at SA!

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I loved both their programs. They looked very light on their feet and very involved in their performances. I was particularly impressed with their attempt to include the story within the context of a competitive FD. The fall looked entirely incidental, although I also thought it nice of him to protect her - a real gentleman. In general, very few skaters seem at their best right now, so I'm not reading anything into it and hope that they'll do well at GP and Nationals. The good thing is IMO that they have two really good programs and that they really get into them.

Wishing them the very best of luck at SA!

I agree. I like that they get into their programs but do not overdramatize them, especially the FD. Some other teams would have made a totally dramatic and overdone program considering the story, but Kaitlin and Jean-Luc do their programs in such a tasteful way. Their Romeo and Juliet FD also would have been totally over dramatized by some with them dying at the end (ugh, I dislike that play) but Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's interpretation was just lovely.

I hope they do well at SA.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I like that they get into their programs but do not overdramatize them, especially the FD. Some other teams would have made a totally dramatic and overdone program considering the story, but Kaitlin and Jean-Luc do their programs in such a tasteful way. Their Romeo and Juliet FD also would have been totally over dramatized by some with them dying at the end (ugh, I dislike that play) but Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's interpretation was just lovely.

I hope they do well at SA.

I agree with you ... one of the things I love about this team is that they don't overdramatize. Because they have a lighter touch, it seems to me that it allows the spectators to bring their own feelings into the programs.

Can't wait to see them at SA!:love:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States