Karen Wood (1981 & 1983 British Ladies Champion) Has Died | Golden Skate

Karen Wood (1981 & 1983 British Ladies Champion) Has Died

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wasn't sure whether to post this yet as there is no official notification on the NISA website yet. But, given that the NISA office is now closed for the Christmas holidays, it is liable that there will not be a notification.

Unfortunately, we have lost another skater to that big ice rink in the sky.

1981 and 1983 British Ladies Champion Karen Wood has died.

Lorna Brown posted the news on Facebook last night:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152410614957820&id=96413437819

As Karen's competitive career was before I was born, I had to go hunting around the internet to find out more about her.

Here is Karen's Wikipedia page.

Before going on to be a double British Champion at Senior level, Karen Wood was the 1979 British Junior Ladies Champion (photo on this page).

She was also the final winner of the Richmond Trophy in 1980, before the competition was discontinued.

On the international stage, Karen had a best finish of 15th at Worlds in 1981, and a best of 8th at Europeans in 1982.

Karen Wood had a controversial end to her amateur career. After winning the British title for the second time, she was sent to the 1983 European Championships, but withdrew half-way through the competition. This did not go down well with the Federation, and she was punished by being removed from the British team that was sent to Worlds (see the first paragraph of this page).

In 1984, she finished 3rd in the Jaca World Professional Championships (Results page on Golden Skate).

Earlier in her career, Karen had competed in Pairs with Steve Baker (the father of Jean-Luc Baker), finishing 6th in the 1975/76 Junior Worlds.

My thoughts go out to all her family and friends.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Very sad! Condolences to family and friends. A friend on FB commented about Karen will "skate with the angels" - how appropriate.