Korea revenge in 2018? | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

wootie

Match Penalty
Do the Russians have a chance in Pyeongchang?

Somehow I feel as though most of the Russian skaters will leave the Pyeongchang Olympics disappointed. I think memories of how corrupt the Sochi games were in terms of home ice figure skating scoring have left an indelible mark in our sport that won't be forgotten in four years. Now, if every other skater implodes and only the Russians skate well...that may be a different story. However, should anyone else attack and show "heart," I think it's toast for the Russians at the next Winter Olympics. Sad, but it's understandable.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It will have no impact at all. Russia will probably win dance and pairs, probably ladies as well. The South Koreans aren't going to have medal contenders in any FS event so who are they going to push for? The Japanese? The Americans?

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
I speculate all judges of Russia and former-Soviet Union bloc countries will be excluded from the judging panel for the sake of fairness. Otherwise, who can guarantee that the same corruption would not repeat in four years?

Russia has an excellent chance of doing well in 2018. Four years is a long time, but I expect I&K to run away from the field in ice dance. I do not see anyone making a serious challenge to the Russian pairs teams, and at the moment the young Russian ladies look like a force to be reckoned with. Russia also has to be the favorite, so far, to repeat in the team event.

Men is completely wide open, as far as I can see. Right now, Hanyu is the king and he could get better and better. Or not. Han Yan is the only other young gun on the horizon so far. Russia is in a pickle…unless Plushenko comes back. ;)

Matt K

On the Ice
Why wouldn't Russia have a chance in 2018 ? :confused: :confused:
Pairs, Dance and Ladies are locks for medals. I can't see the Chinese team beating Mozer's team.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
Like that's not going to die down in 4 years? Come on. In a month or two, this will be old news.

Obviously, you don't know anything about that culture.

People are still POed about how the Korean short track speed skater Kim Dong Sung was 'robbed of a medal' by A.A. Ohno in SLC in 2002. I think I read somewhere that the first time Ohno made an appearance in Korea for a meet, he had to bring security guards for himself.

moviechick

On the Ice
Obviously, you don't know anything about that culture.

People are still POed about how the Korean short track speed skater Kim Dong Sung was robbed of a medal by A.A. Ohno in SLC in 2002. I think I read somewhere that the first time Ohno made an appearance in Korea for a meet, he had to bring security guards for himself.

So they'll boo Adelina if she goes (probably unlikely). It has nothing to do with the rest of Russians who will be there, who probably weren't even competing in Sochi this year.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
So they'll boo Adelina if she goes (probably unlikely). It has nothing to do with the rest of Russians who will be there, who probably weren't even competing in Sochi this year.

No, from what I read, I won't be surprised at people booing at every skater from Russia. Many seem to equate Russia and anything associated with that country as the main axis of evil at the moment.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not hoping that every Russian skater will be booed for no reason.

moviechick

On the Ice
No, from what I read, I won't be surprised at people booing at every skater from Russia. Many seem to equate Russia and anything associated with that country as the main axis of evil at the moment.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not hoping that every Russian skater will be booed for no reason.

If that's the case, then they need to get their heads checked and learn to not take this so seriously.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
If that's the case, then they need to get their heads checked and learn to not take this so seriously.

Try telling that to an angry mob of people who feel that they were robbed, literally. Yikes. Yuna has some die hard fans although I get why this whole fan wrath started.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I am certain that Julia or Radionova will receive warm reactions in Korean soil. They just have the star quality. Even Adelina will be not treated coldly if she competes in PC Olympics. Korean audiences basically are warm for guests.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I speculate all judges of Russia and former-Soviet Union bloc countries will be excluded from the judging panel for the sake of fairness. Otherwise, who can guarantee that the same corruption would not repeat in four years?

Well 7 judges voted for Adelina so you better find out where they are from and ban them all.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
I am certain that Julia or Radionova will receive warm reactions in Korean soil. They just have the star quality. Even Adelina will be not treated coldly if she competes in PC Olympics. Korean audiences basically are warm for guests.

I really doubt it. 'Warm for guests' is typically reserved for well behaved guests.

Honestly, when this whole speculation started over Olympic judging, after reading about the reactions from many Korean citizens, the first thought in my mind was, "those Russian skaters need to watch out if they ever go to Korea..."

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
I didn't realize these Russian skaters had murdered Yuna.

Lol. You can't murder the queen. Her bodyguards will shoot whoever tries such acts of treason first :p

That is exactly what a die hard Yuna fan would say. (I'm a fan, but not that kind, FYI.)