Kyrylo Marsak | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kyrylo Marsak

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Kyrylo's next assignments are CS Denis Ten Memorial (Nov 2-5) and CS Warsaw Cup (Nov 15-19). I'm so happy he got two more Challengers to show what he's capable of.:jump:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What a surprise! Kyrylo jumped his first quad in competition today, a 4S, and it was fully rotated too! :clap:

Unfortunately, the rest of the FS in Astana didn't go well. He explained in his insta stories that he had an injury at the beginning of the season and was ill just a week before the Denis Ten Challenger, which might have had an influence on his bumpy performance.
But he's also saying that he can definitely do better and he will. :cheer2:

Kyrylo caught my attention last season, when Ivan Shmuratko got injured, and Kyrylo suddenly had to step in as Ukraine's leading man. And he did so brilliantly, grabbing a few medals along the way and qualifying for Europeans and senior Worlds.
These are the skaters I really love and admire, the fighters who give their best despite the odds, the ones who don't give up when things get rough, and Kyrylo is definitely one of them. (Also, he is obviously a friend of cats. 😺)

So go Kyrylo, you've got this! :cheer2:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Darth Kyrylo is back in the Free Skate! 🐈‍⬛ And he came very close to his PB with a score of 121.36. :clap:
Kyrylo seems a bit more comfortable with this program, hopefully it gives him a boost for the second part of the season. His next competition is Tallinn Trophy in just a few weeks. But his goal will be a spot at Junior Worlds I assume. He's on a good way and I keep my fingers crossed for him!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Turns out that Tallinn Trophy is not "in a few weeks" but actually the men's SP is scheduled for the day after tomorrow at early noon. I won't be able to watch live, so I hope the stream stays up so I can rewatch Kyrylo's skate.

I wonder what their plan for the rest of the season is. There are the Youth Olympic Games in January and then Junior Worlds a little later. Will qualification be based on international performance? I could only find Novice Nationals scheduled on the SkateUkraine homepage, nothing about Junior or Senior National Championships. Hopefully Kyrylo can grab the assignments.

Good luck and clean skates in Tallinn! 🍀

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Kyrylo performed today in Tallinn to loud cheers of the audience. He landed a beautiful opening 3A and received level 4 for his steps. :clap:
But there was also a step-out from the solo lutz, an unfortunate slip and fall on the combo landing, and a wobbly spin, so he himself wasn't too happy with his skate. In the K&C he expected a score of 58, but he was a bit hard on himself. The judges in fact scored him with 68 and Kyrylo finished first in the SP. :yahoo:

Who will we see tomorrow in the free, Bat Kyrylo or Darth Kyrylo?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The next competition for Kyrylo will be the 51st Volvo Open Cup, starting 18th January in Riga. He will compete in Juniors together with his countryman Kyrylo Lishenko. I guess the Ukrainian Fed is trying to make up their minds whom to send to Junior Worlds. I figured out that Kyrylo is too old for the Youth Olympic Games, so naturally he didn't get the assignment, but I hope we will see him at Junior Worlds.

The Ukrainian Fed also published the dates for the National Championships. Juniors will compete 15-18 March, Seniors 1-4 April. Since Junior Nationals actually takes place after Junior Worlds, I wonder if Kyrylo will even start there. He is aging out of Juniors next season anyway.

Another find on the Fed website is this brief statement by Kyrylo after winning bronze at the Tallinn Trophy (23rd November):
In general, I can say that the performance in Tallinn was much better than the skating that I showed at the beginning of the season. It was probably the best thing I could have done so far, given the problems I had to overcome during the season. First an injury, then an illness... I've only been fully training for a month. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to do a quad jump today, but I'll be working on it. After the competition, I will have a little rest and prepare for the second half of the season. At the moment, I clearly see the prospects for development.

A Finnish news outlet also published an article about the skaters training at Peurunka Skating Academy in Laukaa which features Kyrylo. There is not much text except the quotes below, but there are some nice pictures.
Kyrylo Marsak, 19, who came to Finland fleeing the war, is a member of Ukraine's national figure skating team. Marsak started figure skating at the age of four at the request of his parents. At first he did not like it, but now skating is his whole life. Marsak studies sport science remotely from Finland at Kyiv University. In his free time, he composes music on the computer and plays computer games.

Marsak was invited to Laukaa by coach Mayer-Virtanen. He arrived in Finland a year and a half ago.

- At first I was only supposed to be here for a few months, but everything has gone so well that I plan to stay and train here until the next Olympics in 2026.

Marsak doesn't want to set goals for his life.

- I want to do my best at the Olympics, but I don't want to plan anything else. The last time I planned my life, a war broke out.
1703931763302.png
1703931805424.png

As always, good luck to Kyrylo and may all his dreams come true in the New Year! 🍀

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
They had a Small Medal Ceremony at the Volvo Open Cup, which means double the podium pictures!
Kyrylo lies in 3rd after the SP with a clean 3A but a fall from the solo 3Lz.

420042724_869230978277180_1357527401382721299_n.jpg

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What a competition! Kyrylo landed his first 4S with positive GOE in the free skate. :yahoo: The element alone brought him a whopping 11 points. Kyrylo ended up right on top of the podium. This should have secured him the assignment to Junior Worlds, I hope.

And because I love podium pictures:
1705689868599.jpeg

Judging by the costume it looks like he is back from Darth Kyrylo to Bat Kyrylo. 🦇

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Videos from Volvo Open have popped up on youtube.

SP:

FS, featuring a perfect 4S :clap::

And of course, this weekend Kyrylo performed again at Bavarian Open. The jumps didn't cooperate this time, but that's ok. It's his transitional season into seniors and he is upping his technical content, so not everything will go smoothly all the time. His overall skating has improved so much and the transitions especially in his FS are well executed. I quite enjoy the leg kicks, now I'd like to see a cartwheel soon. :laugh:

SP:

FS:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The next competition for Kyrylo will be the Tallink Hotels Cup, already starting on 15th February. I am glad he's getting so many chances to compete this season, and we get many chances to watch him skate. ☺️