Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
From Wikipedia - Simple English:
"Only 13 female figure skaters have done a ratified triple Axel in competition: Midori Ito (the first one to do it), Tonya Harding, Yukari Nakano, Ludmila Nelidina, Mao Asada (the first one to land three triple Axels in one competition), Kimmie Meissner, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Rika Kihira, Mirai Nagasu, Alysa Liu, Ayaka Hosoda, Alena Kostornaia, and Young You."

This is only taking into consideration skaters who have landed 3As in international competition. I realize that to be officially counted, that's what has to happen, but there have been plenty of other women who have landed 3As domestically or in practice, if you want to get really nitpicky.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I don't think Kimmie Meissner landed a 3A in an international competition.
I believe she only landed one at US Nationals (2005 or 2006).

Discounting practices, is there a list of skaters who have landed a 3A only in domestic competitions?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Or would we want a list of skaters who have at least one failed attempt in competition (international only?)? Even that would be a pretty short list, maybe even shorter than the one of those who have at least one success.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Or would we want a list of skaters who have at least one failed attempt in competition (international only?)? Even that would be a pretty short list, maybe even shorter than the one of those who have at least one success.

I can only think of Yoshie Onda. For quads, Bonaly and Cohen. It's encouraging that most women who train these hard moves get them landed at some point.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I can only think of Yoshie Onda. For quads, Bonaly and Cohen. It's encouraging that most women who train these hard moves get them landed at some point.

Ivett Toth and Eliska Brezinova both attempted 3As at Hungarian and Czech test skates respectively this year; as protocols were issued, even though medals weren't, I can see an argument for considering them a domestic competition.

(The protocols for the Hungarian Senior Ladies SP won't load any more, but I sighted it when it was working and Ivett's 3A attempt was, IIRC, credited as 3A<< with a fall.)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks for sharing these! Lisa Sargeant's attempt is so impressive. Are there any other examples of skaters who attempted 3As that the general (or recent) fan may not know about?

I've heard of Chouinard, Butyrskaya, and Kwan having landed 3As in practice but haven't seen any successful attempts. Here is American Tiffany Chin landing a few nice ones in practice in the early 1980's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9pApU53W0

Skatesocs

Final Flight

It's always been strange to me how the Asada sisters had bad toe loop technique in combo when they were younger. I wonder now if they developed the habit by trying to do them out of badly landed difficult preceding jumps like that 3A (and I just also found a video of 12 year old Mao doing 3F+3Lo+3T - can't link right now, so it's the 2002 NHK exhibition).

herro

On the Ice
I've heard of Chouinard, Butyrskaya, and Kwan having landed 3As in practice but haven't seen any successful attempts. Here is American Tiffany Chin landing a few nice ones in practice in the early 1980's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9pApU53W0

Thanks for sharing! I remember the first time I saw Tiffany Chin's attempt, I thought it was a double given how effortless the jump was. It's fascinating how the boundaries were being pushed back in the 80s and 90s (such good technique overall from a lot of the top skaters), before the late 90s and early 2000s when the technical content on average appeared to be a bit less rigorous (which is when I started following the sport more seriously).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Wow! Tiffany Chin had a gorgeous axel! Lots of height and a nice light landing too. I didn't know she was capable of that.

Imagine if we could see all of the jumps and combos that were landed in practice but never made it to competitive ice...

macy

Record Breaker
It's always been strange to me how the Asada sisters had bad toe loop technique in combo when they were younger. I wonder now if they developed the habit by trying to do them out of badly landed difficult preceding jumps like that 3A (and I just also found a video of 12 year old Mao doing 3F+3Lo+3T - can't link right now, so it's the 2002 NHK exhibition).

oh wow, that was a straight up toe axel.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Kimmie never landed it in international competition. She really needs to not be on the same list.

If we are looking for other women who have attempted it in competition. Starr Andrews was attempting it for awhile and there are attempts on the books.

readernick

Medalist
Kimmie never landed it in international competition. She really needs to not be on the same list.

If we are looking for other women who have attempted it in competition. Starr Andrews was attempting it for awhile and there are attempts on the books.

I think the point was to discuss women who have attempted the jump in domestic or international competition or in practice. There is already a list of women who have landed it successfully in international competition.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I think the point was to discuss women who have attempted the jump in domestic or international competition or in practice. There is already a list of women who have landed it successfully in international competition.

Then shouldn't Sofia Akatieva and Sofia Samodelkina be on the list?

Fried

Final Flight
Am I the only one who gets the uncomfortable feeling when 12, 13 or 14 year old girls are called women? Basically, I find it borderline even with fifteen year old girls. I know it's just a traditional name and yet it keeps giving me stomach ache. Sorry for the OT, but it had to come out.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Maria Did try them between 98 and 99. She has a couple attempts online somewhere ( I'll look ) but she never attempted one in competition. AFAIK

It was actually 1996.....................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgbtAGaDfA