Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

Elucidus

Match Penalty
And yet no one comments on Rika's two clean 3As at Japan Open here? One of only two senior skaters currently that has performed clean 3As, and the most consistent this season? (one UR, four landed clean, no pops or falls)

People are too used to Rika's 3A I guess :scratch3:

readernick

Medalist
Speaking of Rika, I would like some data on her 3A this year. (maybe we will at NHK). Her axels (actually all her jumps) look like they are higher this year and they are still covering lots of distance.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Difficult entry, too.

I'm not sure about that. It's a three turn entry, which while certainly unique, turns in the direction of the jump. It's not like Yuzuru or Alina's back counter into an axel, in which one has to actually counter-rotate the counter.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Rika, I would like some data on her 3A this year. (maybe it we will at NHK). Her axels (actually all her jumps) look like they are higher this year and they are still covering lots of distance.

Her first 3A at JO was huge! And that was on an injured foot, supposedly.

I'm not sure about that. It's a three turn entry, which while certainly unique, turns in the direction of the jump. It's not like Yuzuru or Alina's back counter into an axel, in which one has to actually counter-rotate the counter.

Still, you have to have enough speed on the three-turn in order to have a good jumped axel, so I would call it difficult enough. But I do agree that it is not as difficult as the counter axel, which having tried myself, I can confirm that it is very difficult.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

- - - Updated - - -

Her first 3A at JO was huge! And that was on an injured foot, supposedly.

A 3-turn directly into an axel is definitely a diffiicult entry. Not as hard as a counter, but still difficult because you need edge control to make the turn and have your body appropriately positioned to prepare for the takeoff, and maintain momentum going into it. It's much easier to set up your takeoff for an axel stepping onto the takeoff foot versus directly turning onto your takeoff foot requiring perfect timing.

lznxl, next time you go skating (if you're a counter-clockwise jumper) try doing a waltz jump (or single axel or double axel) using a mohawk entry (RBO to LFO takeoff), and then try to do the same maneuver out of a LBI-LFO 3-turn, and compare the two attempts. The former is much easier to keep speed/momentum/control.

Great 3A+3T combo Sofia!

Roast Toast

Medalist
It's incredible how easy she makes it look considering her air position is still not ideal. I'm so happy she got it back! Maybe this season won't be so awful after all :agree2:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Reminds me a little of Tonya Harding's 3A...huge height and distance, gorgeous but slightly wild in the air.

readernick

Medalist
Reminds me a little of Tonya Harding's 3A...huge height and distance, gorgeous but slightly wild in the air.

Yes, it is actually amazing she manages to land it with that wild air position. That being said, I hope she works on the air position because I feel like that kind of air position could easily result in injury. I don't want her hurt. Rika/Aliona are my two 3A loves..I need them healthy.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Was I watching the same 3A as you guys, by what measure that air position was “wild”? Aside from a slight leg wrap, there’s really not much to be picky about, it’s pretty much ideal, it’s not tilted at all, definitely not Tonya style 3A... uhm, I’m confused.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

lzxnl

Final Flight
Youtube versions (for those who can't open vk.com):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91f-pfPA-3c
Alena Kostornaia FP training (3A+2T, 3A)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDoGuX-AxY
Alena Kostornaia 3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSQ597KWzg
Alena Kostornaia 3A+2T

I wonder how much GOE would give judges for her last combo? :rolleye: Liza suddenly in a tight spot there :biggrin:
..And RusNat predictions became as easy as winning Powerball lottery now :shocked: :hpull: :slink:

It's certainly a lovely 3A, although I wish she'd change her entry for one of them. Also, Liza is technically still safe if Alena doesn't actually land the 3As cleanly; she went for two 3As, one of them was clean, one wasn't, so I'm going to wait to see her land more in competition. But it's looking good.

readernick

Medalist
Was I watching the same 3A as you guys, by what measure that air position was “wild”? Aside from a slight leg wrap, there’s really not much to be picky about, it’s pretty much ideal, it’s not tilted at all, definitely not Tonya style 3A... uhm, I’m confused.

I think the axis is off. She is not at the proper angle in the air. It happens to Rika too, on occasion ( like one of her axels at JO) but all of Aliona's attempts have that axis. It is still an absolurely beautiful 3A. +2/3/4 GOE I do not think it is as messy as Tonya's. ( by any means) but I do think that axis could lead to painful falls. I just want her healthy.

Kittosuni

Medalist
It's certainly a lovely 3A, although I wish she'd change her entry for one of them. Also, Liza is technically still safe if Alena doesn't actually land the 3As cleanly; she went for two 3As, one of them was clean, one wasn't, so I'm going to wait to see her land more in competition. But it's looking good.

I mean it would be nice if one of her 3A entry is an Ina Bauer just like her 2A but i think that it is asking too much especially since the Hanyu-esque entry is pretty nice :love:

Besides at this point she is the only one who has an actual meaningful steps in her entry for that 3A ( pls. correct me if Im wrong)

But I have to agree all we can do is wait and see. If things comes to worse, she can just ditch the transition and telegraph that 3A ala Liza

SkateSkates

Medalist
Maybe she should get comfortable doing this incredibly difficult entry in competition before we expect her to change one of the entries?

I mean, she is doing 1 foot edge work, with meaningful deep edges, halfway down the rink into a 3A. What more can you ask for?

Layback Ina Bauer 3A? Maybe for the Olympics in 2022 🤣

skatenewbie

Medalist
Okay so Alena Is the 10th woman to land 3A cleanly? Young You land it but had an early leg touchdown, i guess if we didnt look at positive GOE you could say You is the 10th and Alena 11th, idk. Its cool to see 4 woman attempting 3A in one season 😍 If Elizabet healed properly im sure she will also attempt it. hope she have speedy recovery